Our sister sites
Our sister sites
duboing
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2007, 08:48 AM

Does your dog bury bones?

Bongo really does - it's so cute! She spends half her life with a grubby nose

The only other dog we've had who was so totally into burying bones was our old scottie, Maggie. We had two dogs most of that time, so they'd each get a bone, Maggie would whip off and bury hers, then come back and get the other bone (she was quite dominant ) and bury that too.

I do know one westie who doesn't even know how to dig a hole, but she'll shove her chews under sofa cushions and behind furniture instead!
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2007, 09:32 AM
I used to give my old dog Barney bones when we first had him, but he used to be really ill the next day (runs). Although he used to love them and spend hours chewing and burying, we culd no longer let him have them.
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2007, 10:46 AM
Mines bury everything and I mean everything!!!!!
Doggydina
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-07-2007, 11:19 AM
Yip ! My Sammie is a bone buryer

Was doing the gardening the other week and found a Jumbone that must have been there since last year. Was very grotty But Sammie will just dig anyway. Weh n we go up the woods their is a very quiet bit I have found where ia take a seat and let the pair of them run round for a while, and he always finds a bit to dig, even though he has nothing to bury It's very cute and funny to watch
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

08-07-2007, 11:21 AM
so do mine, everything, thats why i gave up on the lawns 2 yrs ago, they're worse than moles.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2007, 11:34 AM
Jack doesn't 'bury' anything, but he does dig a hole and put things in, I don't know how he does it but the hole is just the perfect size for what he places in it, just thought as I was typing that last bit, maybe he digs the hole then find something to put in it
Nelson's Mum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by nero View Post
so do mine, everything, thats why i gave up on the lawns 2 yrs ago, they're worse than moles.
You forgot to add that what one buries the other waits to dig up and the holes are the man traps for any intruders!!!!! Plus you can't plant anything even in pots as Smeegs just demolishes them if they are at ground level. I used to have 2 cracking hostas. They were huge until we got Smeegs.I'm left with 2 wee roots. She has also had a go at the Jasmine as well. To be honest she was trying to hide her goodies in the pots You just can't win
Mummy2Max
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-07-2007, 03:38 PM
As a puppy Max was a big digger! He wrecked our whole garden, cost us £400 in plants etc to get it back to rights he doesn't bury bones though, prefers to put them underneath the cushions on the sofa when they are soggy, so everything gets covered in grotty slime I've found so many toys burried though.

Now he prefers to let you dig the hole, then he puts his toys in it when OH was digging the holes to put the fence posts in, Max kept dropping his ball in there and looking at OH as if to say "now get it out for me!"
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-07-2007, 03:43 PM
I have a spaniel, who has never dug a hole in his life as far as I know, I have just gotten a Golden Retriever pup and my garden is a wreck - we have had him a week!
My plants have been uprooted, squashed, eaten and demolished and that is with me standing in the garden with him
I have now taken to putting a lead on him when out for the toilet before I have no plants left.
He seems to have a thing for carrying plant pots around too, and it doesn't seem to matter if they are empty or not.
Brian
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-07-2007, 03:47 PM
One of mine Storm gets so excited when you give him a bone but very rarely eats them instead buries them, but to this day hasn't coped on that by burying it means he loses them as our other two dig them up straight away and eat them