View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
RiverWild!
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-03-2008, 06:57 PM

Any tips on showing a Flat Coated Retriever?

Hi
I have just started showing my Flattie who is 10 mnths old, Bitch called River.
She is doing well alrteady but we are both new to this, we are hoping that there may be someone out there who can give us advice on standing, moving, grooming etc.
Our biggest problem at the mo is that she won't wag her tail in the ring, before and after not a problem, but as soon as we are in that ring, it's gone, until the judge touches her, then once again it's lost.
Any help is most appreciated.
Shelly and River
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-03-2008, 07:32 PM
Treats?
Silly voice?

a tail command?
Are you very nervous? Maybe some rescue remedy for you and she won't react to your stress?
RiverWild!
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-03-2008, 11:19 AM
thanks, I am nervous I think I might try the rescue remedy.
I did have some success last night at training, she corrected her feet herself into the correct position after moving them around, she has never done that before.
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2008, 05:27 PM
i ahve a Flat coat but no experience showing at all.
I would be concerned if she isn't wagging away in the ring as it would suggest to me she isn't enjoying it too much, it is also a part of the breed standard, so she does need to wag really. I would try to lighten up, not worry too much and try to get her enjoying it.
I've seen lots of Flat Coats in the ring and they do wag...I think for you, if you are nervous, the thing to remember is that everyone there knows and understands what Flat Coats are like, if you see what I mean!!!!
Have you posted any pics??? I would love to see her. Where did you get her from?
Sorry, being nosey...but I LOVE Flat Coats, even when they poo out cling film.
RiverWild!
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-03-2008, 10:44 AM
Alot of FC people h i have been talking to at shows say most of them dont wag much in the ring when they are young as they are trying so hard to stand still (makes a change, unsterstandable why this is hard for them!) I am a bit nervous more so because she isnt wagging her tail. I was being silly with her in the ring the other day to get it going and she just ended up barking at me, probably thought Mum was being really embarrassing infront of her mates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by RiverWild! View Post
Alot of FC people h i have been talking to at shows say most of them dont wag much in the ring when they are young as they are trying so hard to stand still (makes a change, unsterstandable why this is hard for them!) I am a bit nervous more so because she isnt wagging her tail. I was being silly with her in the ring the other day to get it going and she just ended up barking at me, probably thought Mum was being really embarrassing infront of her mates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was discussing something similar with the person who runs the classes we take Cosmo too(she is also a friend which helps!)
Anyway, I was asking the complete opposite. How do you get a Flat Coat to stand still and be handled by someone who bends right over them and runs their hands over them???? Cosmo would never manage it.
He was at the vets last week and she couldn't examine him properly as she got down to his level (lethal...the tail started) then she put her hands on him and spoke to him at the same time, well the tail went into overdrive and he was wagging so much his whole body was moving and she couldn't examine him properly. So I have challenged my friend (the trainer) to find a a way of getting Cosmo to stand still and be examined. I am clueless, as he just starts to wag as soon as someone looks at him and if you hold a treat, the wag gets harder...
Thankfully we have no intention of showing him...perhaps if we exchange hints we'll get a happy medium?!!!!!

I have to say all the ones I saw at Crufts were wagging, we were laughing about it!
lovezois
Fondly remembered
Female 

31-03-2008, 11:28 AM
Your nervousness most probably is coming strsight down the lead to him. Try to make it fun for him and a game to begin with, have treats at the ready and once he begings to enjoy it his tail will begin to wag and you will relax too.

Howevert,there are some dogs who are just not happy being shown, but he is young yet so hopefully it will all fall into place.
RiverWild!
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-04-2008, 04:57 PM
Woo Hoo, the tail is begining to go, just a bit but yay! Last night at ringcraft, she was her best ever, and to top the night off, she won TOP PUPPY of the Night!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I got her standing still, but using stay command in obedience and I transferred the training over into show mode, though I'm not sure how useful this is going to be when she has her eyes tested in a few weeks.

River is the same outside of the ring, her body moves with the tail, she just cant help it, sometimes i think if she wags it much faster she will be flying off.