Our sister sites
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-03-2010, 10:53 AM

Interesting training question

Hi guys

imagine you had a hyper dog.
a dog ,in fact, whose meaning of life is to be excited over everything and anything

a dog, whereby you have just trained it ot sit calmly before puttng the lead on for the walk and leaving the house.

a dog that works very well for treats, responds well to: eye contact - "good" verbal cue - treat.

the eye contact exercise being used to remind the dog that everything comes via the owner.
that the owner actually exists amongst all these exciting triggers and events!

but a dog that has now learnt to even cut out the owner thru this exercise, either by offering behaviours automatically or preemptively just to get the treat, or refusing to walk in a straight line and instead constantly jumping up in front of the owner from the side to get the treat.

the trainers amongst you: how would yo resove this?
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 10:56 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Hi guys

a dog ,in fact, whose meaning of life is to be excited over everything and anything

a dog, whereby you have just trained it ot sit calmly before puttng the lead on for the walk and leaving the house.

a dog that works very well for treats, responds well to: eye contact - "good" verbal cue - treat.

the eye contact exercise being used to remind the dog that everything comes via the owner.

but a dog that has now learnt to even cut out the owner thru this exercise, either by offering behaviours automatically or preemptively just to get the treat, or refusing to walk in a straight line and instead constantly jumping up in front of the owner from the side to get the treat.

This is just young Boxer behaviour!
Murphy is a pre-emptive sitter, downer and paw-giver; and developed a nasty habit of bouncing to take the treat from your hands...

I would just go right back to the beginning - not taking any offered behaviours until they are requested, and then treating...

In terms of the jumping up, I'd ignore as much as possible, turning away from the dog if necessary...
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Hi guys

so you have met vinnie then,

except he wouldnt jump all over me for food.

Can the dog do any training off lead?
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Have you been stalking me and Cosmo??

I would change the dogs food.
I would get the dog checked by a vet.
I would exercise the dog's brain...give him something to do aside from the usual walks. Lots of training in the house and garden and perhaps going to agility or training sessions....anything to wear the dog out mentally.
I would introduce the dog to a clicker...as it is obviously a thinker...and use the clicker to move forward with behaviours.
I would make a 'wish' list for thje dogs behaviour...what does the owner want the dog to do and prioritise.
I would also ignore the dogs attention seeking...as that is what it is. I would turn my back and remove my hand/treat etc and only move forward when the dog was calmer (er)

There is heaps that can be done

For a dog like this...personally i think that teaching a look at me cue is the wrong thing to do...if it is a high energy dog the best thing to do is move it.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-03-2010, 11:02 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
This is just young Boxer behaviour!
Murphy is a pre-emptive sitter, downer and paw-giver; and developed a nasty habit of bouncing to take the treat from your hands...

I would just go right back to the beginning - not taking any offered behaviours until they are requested, and then treating...

In terms of the jumping up, I'd ignore as much as possible, turning away from the dog if necessary...
ignoring the offered behaviours has indeed worked

changing direction etc different story, not successful

dog has just learnt to walk on lead nicely thru learning not to pull thru the eye contact exercise.

then realised this ended in treats, so no longer pulls, but jumps up and around to the 'treat side', continuing a lifetime's habit of cutting out the middle man!
so changing direction aids jumping up and around the side!

one very smart savvy dog!
Ramble
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 11:04 AM

dog has just learnt to walk on lead nicely thru learning not to pull thru the eye contact exercise.

then realised this ended in treats, so no longer pulls, but jumps up and around to the 'treat side', continuing a lifetime's habit of cutting out the middle man!

clicker training.
Loose lead training.
Turid Rugaas' method (she doesn't use the clicker but the sound used acts as a similar sort of marker for the dog)
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 11:05 AM
I have had a similar issue with Kiera my nephews staffie x with training, she has no manners what so ever when it comes to food,

I started clicker training her to combat the food issue, I dont always treat from the hand with her, I throw food so she never knows where its coming from,.

I also taught with the clicker not to mug me for food.

eg hand held out in a fist with food in it, she would mug the hand....get nothing, when she got board {and that could take some time } and took her /face/mouth/paw off my hand and stood quiet, click and treat.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

30-03-2010, 11:06 AM
Originally Posted by Ramble View Post
Have you been stalking me and Cosmo??

I would change the dogs food.

tick

I would get the dog checked by a vet.

tick
I would exercise the dog's brain...give him something to do aside from the usual walks. Lots of training in the house and garden

good idea

and perhaps going to agility or training sessions....

training seshions where problem started!

anything to wear the dog out mentally.
I would introduce the dog to a clicker...as it is obviously a thinker...and use the clicker to move forward with behaviours.

being considered

I would make a 'wish' list for thje dogs behaviour...what does the owner want the dog to do and prioritise.
I would also ignore the dogs attention seeking...as that is what it is. I would turn my back and remove my hand/treat etc and only move forward when the dog was calmer (er)

if you stop, dog still jumps up

There is heaps that can be done

For a dog like this...personally i think that teaching a look at me cue is the wrong thing to do...if it is a high energy dog the best thing to do is move it.
it is only rewarded on the move
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 11:07 AM

can I ask what breed it is?
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-03-2010, 11:08 AM
If the dog is very exciteable, would working for praise alone be the way to go? or less 'high value' treats? Some other reward?

I found this with Hoki - if she is too hungry or if the treat on offer is too valuable, she just goes plain daft and won't listen. So I tend to use boring kibble for her (which she still loves working for) or a toy or sometimes just praise.
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 > Last »