Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 09:12 PM

Cat legislation.

I have had cats and am not anti cats at all but do have a lot of trouble with cats where we live now. I.e. pooing on our drive, walking our fences staring at he dogs, yowling snd fighting at night (and day actually) getting into our garden, trying to climb in through our windows, making a nuisance of themselves up the canal path behind our house ( although some people wre hally to say hello to them they also a pain fr lots of people..hiding in bushes and stepping out in front of bikes, dogs, pedestrians and the few cars that need to use he path to acces thier homes) and in local parks (pooing in the children's play parks and scratching children once they've had enough stroking)

I feel a lot of those issues could be resolved. I'm pretty certain the cats court people up and down the canal as they are lonely and crave attention. The night yowling migh tubes olives with neutering and keeping them in at night...they are also living in a very high cat populated area which isn't necessarily a good thing for cats. We have roughly 30 - 40 in our road and its not a big road!
My cats were kept in at night, used a litter tray and I made it very hard for them to leave the garden. You can buy equipment to stop cats leaving your garden but I think people often feel cats should be free to roam....something that obviously is not tollerated with dogs!

I was very interested to hear from a relative in Canada that Calgary has cat legislation and cats are no allowed to be out of your home unsupervised. Apparently it is common to see people walking their cats on harnesses!

Here's the link.

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Pages...ylaw-cats.aspx
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-07-2013, 09:45 PM
Oh I so wish it would happen over here
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-07-2013, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
Oh I so wish it would happen over here
I do too really. Cats would also be safer! No road injuries or fatalities and no dog attacks. One stepped out literally under Tonks' chin today.... And I mean literally. I don't think it did it deliberately, although I may be mistaken. She was on her head collar so I could lead her away. She has lived with cats but also will chase them given half the chance and jump up and down screaming at them if they won't move. The neighbours cat often gets cornered in our garden when I let the dogs out last thing at night. Tonks is incredibly noisy about it..... Doesn't stop the cat coming back though!
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-07-2013, 10:42 PM
Oh I just know exactly what you mean
and I just would endorse such kind of law over here as well

up in the North of Germany, in quite some of the parts of it, at least they already have a law, that they has to be castrated, that they can't increase like rats anymore
it also already would reduce those yowling and fights, that they wont poo and pee around that much everywhere anymore (problem of marking would be gone)
and they wouldn't be wandering around that much anymore again and rather staying at their home, hopefully
unfortunately that law didn't reach the South yet
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

02-07-2013, 12:17 AM
I'm on the fence - excuse the pun.

I grew up in a residential area and whilst we had had a good sized garden for our dogs - there were loads of cats about so I sympathise with people who are affected by roaming cats..

I now live in a rural area surrounded by fields and my cats (just two neutered males left) are free to roam.

There isn't really anybody around for them to bother and whilst I'm sure they get up to no good at times, when I see them basking in the sunshine, enjoying the shade under a bush or sprinting like a dog, I can't help feel a bit sorry for those cats that don't enjoy the same level of exercise or freedom.
Malpeki
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-07-2013, 03:38 AM
Originally Posted by Phil View Post
I'm on the fence - excuse the pun.

I grew up in a residential area and whilst we had had a good sized garden for our dogs - there were loads of cats about so I sympathise with people who are affected by roaming cats..

I now live in a rural area surrounded by fields and my cats (just two neutered males left) are free to roam.

There isn't really anybody around for them to bother and whilst I'm sure they get up to no good at times, when I see them basking in the sunshine, enjoying the shade under a bush or sprinting like a dog, I can't help feel a bit sorry for those cats that don't enjoy the same level of exercise or freedom.
I think it's just like the same with dogs?

certainly your dogs can also enjoy more freedom than the most of those who are living in cities
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 05:29 AM
but I think people often feel cats should be free to roam
Morning Catrin. Not just 'people' but I believe the law 'thinks that' too!

People who are bothered by dogs barking and fouling want all dog laws tightened up.

People who are bothered by cats howling all night want all cats removed from their vicinity!

People who are bothered by noisy cars and bikes roaring up and down their road want them all arrested.

I could go on - noisy neighbours, destructive children,

As for cats - I can't help smiling as I live in Cyprus and the 'Cats of Cyprus' are so famous they are depicted on tourist Tshirts, shopping bags and all sorts!

After putting up with yet another long moaning session from Doros downstairs about how much noise people make when they are using the pool (hell it's summer, its damn hot and people mucking about in swimming pools do tend to shriek and laugh etc) my advice to him was to move out of this area and live in a house in the Troodos mountains!

You have made your 'cat problem' sound more horrendous than most (admit I smiled at the 'staring at the dogs - don't ALL cats love to do that from the safety of a high fence?)

pooing on our drive, walking our fences staring at he dogs, yowling snd fighting at night (and day actually) getting into our garden, trying to climb in through our windows, making a nuisance of themselves up the canal path behind our house ..... hiding in bushes and stepping out in front of bikes, dogs, pedestrians and the few cars that need to use he path to acces thier homes) and in local parks (pooing in the children's play parks and scratching children...)
Sometimes the only real option when life is being made that unbearable is to move. And hope you don't get the same (or worse) problems in the next place.

I certainly wouldn't hold your breath waiting for Govt to legislate for cats.

Meanwhile this might bring a smile to your face this morning! (I've met all these apart from the SHY CAT - I don't think we have any of those - I think they made that one up!

catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 05:41 AM
I don't think we will get this legislation here buti am beginning to wish we did. Not just for the non cat loving population ....like I say, they would be safer!

They do like sit on high fences and watch dogs going bonkers....but it is a bit odd that its just accepted because they are cat and not dogs really. I'm interested in what Calgary have done because the defence for cats is so often 'oh well they're cats, what can you do"

We do have a real cat poo problem where I live and I'm wondering now much of it is mistskenly put down to irresponsible dog owners. I've made that mistake before too.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Well lots of dogs will poo anywhere, pavements, pathways and 'most' cats like to be a bit more private and usually look for dirt or other soft surface to scratch at - like flower beds!

I do remember having a 'mediterranean garden' with no grass or dirt and just lots of big pots. And local cats used to crap in the pots lol!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-07-2013, 07:14 AM
RSPB CATS & THE LAW http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/garden...andthelaw.aspx
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 > Last »