View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2010, 09:10 AM
i never said i used it for correction!!! i use it because its easier i find.

i dont do those pulling corrections on the lead, ive never done pulling corrections on the lead!!!
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by airedaleowner View Post
i never said i used it for correction!!! i use it because its easier i find.

i dont do those pulling corrections on the lead, ive never done pulling corrections on the lead!!!
Fair enough - my mistake.
I have to say - it is very impressive to have a young strong terrier and never have him pull on a lead. well done.
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2010, 09:15 AM
he used to pull dont get me wrong.
but i worked really hard to get him not to cause my friends dogs do and its horrible trying to walk them.

thats what ive worked on the hardest so i need to catch up with other stuff to but its so much nicer to walk him now.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 09:16 AM
Originally Posted by airedaleowner View Post
he used to pull dont get me wrong.
but i worked really hard to get him not to cause my friends dogs do and its horrible trying to walk them.

thats what ive worked on the hardest so i need to catch up with other stuff to but its so much nicer to walk him now.
So you have moved on to the slip now he walks nicely?
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2010, 09:19 AM
yes, used just a normal collar and lead before and sometimes a harness but found them annoying to use so stuck with the lead.

i just bought one at a stand at a horse show cause thought i may be easier to use when we let him off lead ect... i like them.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2010, 09:33 AM
I use a harness and collar with my pup - he usually walks very well, but if he gets spooked by something is liable to pull in either direction so I need something that he cannot (or is less likely) to escape from.

Most Pups I know will still have excited moments where they will pull towards (or away) from things that suddenly come along (cats, birds etc).

Which is why I would never use one.
airedaleowner
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-10-2010, 12:42 PM
yehh, he still does have exited moments but as soon as i see him going to get exited about things we walk in the opposite directon so i can get his attention back and then try again. so he doesnt get the opportunity to pull.
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-10-2010, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
He purposely put the dog in that situation and set the dog up to fail so he could punish the behaviour. At no time was the dog rewarded for not reacting, just punished when he did react. Typical CM to be honest, all punishment and no reward. And the dog fought him. If my dog fought me like that he'd come out on top because he's so much stronger than I am. That's another problem I have with this sort of training, what happens when you're not physically capable of using brute force to get your dog to comply?

Now, I have been in that sort of situation in real life with my own reactive dog, it happens. Loose dogs get too close, you turn a corner and come face to face with another dog etc. The best thing to do imo is get away as quickly as possible. The dog learns nothing when it's that stressed out. When the situation does arise I don't even attempt to train, I just get Rupe out of the situation ASAP so he can begin to calm down. I body block and move into his space to remove him from situations like that. It's not ideal but then nothing is going to be ideal when it happens. Of course the best thing is not to let it happen in the first place but real life doesn't always go to plan.
No kidding! I have a 160 pound plus Great Dane...there's no way in hell I'm physically forcing Luke to do a darn thing. I can just see it now lol. His back comes higher than my hip and he can practically look me in the eye while on all four feet...trying to wrestle with him to get him to obey would be a nightmare. Thankfully my boy is perfect lol, so we never have issues where I'd be in that position but I remember the advice from "experts" on a forum I am on that said I should "make" him get in the crate when he refused. Yeah..that would work. Even at five and a half months he was stronger than me.
Jessiesdad
Dogsey Junior
Male 

28-01-2014, 10:44 AM
Originally Posted by scottyvdub View Post
just wonderd what people think of him, i personally think hes great ive took on his way of thinking and had amazing results, infact my only heroes are cesar, steve irwin RIP and micheal scumacher.
Wow three of the people I like least in the world. Didn't wish Irwin dead, but what a bell end he was.
lindyloo
New Member!
Female 

27-02-2014, 11:34 PM
CM is a charismatic and likeable persona, very observant of dogs and people, and must have a massive brand marketing team.
So it's so sad that he continues to use and promote such compulsive, aggressive, dominating methods of training. It's not just the prong collars, there's punching and kicking as well.
I watched him on The Alan Titchmarsh Show a while back (see YouTube), and he truly was struggling to justify his methods. I could justify my reward based training methods anytime anywhere, five different ways, without even having to think about it.
There is nothing he does that couldn't be achieved using RB methods.
Page 17 of 24 « First < 7 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 > Last »