Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
elaine cook
New Member!
Female 

27-12-2011, 04:55 PM

Looking for good training schools in Southampton uk

I am looking for a good training class to take my newly adopted rottweiler to, she is a 6 month old bitch, she is a lovely dog with no behaviour problems but I am up to the limet of my training ability ( sit, stay, down, paw ) and she was so responsive to the little training we did I thought it a shame to stop there! We have another dog that I took to a training class in the local area and I didn't like it at all it just seemed like a bunch of women screaching and handing out cheese and sausage to any thing my dog did good or bad!! So I need recommendations for other classes. My aim is to b able to do agility with Roxie because I think she will love it! Any help would b much apritiated!!
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 05:00 PM
The best place to look for agility classes is the Agility Net site.

Try the Goughs at Cara Dog Training although that might mean travelling.

http://www.caradogtraining.com/
Loki's mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 05:01 PM
http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/2543

http://www.apdt.co.uk/local_dog_trainers.asp

You could try these for starters, these are obedience clubs. You would need a basic foundation in obedience before doing agility and she'd need to be 12 months. Our club does a puppy agility class though without jumps etc.
elaine cook
New Member!
Female 

27-12-2011, 05:43 PM
Thanks guys, I know she is too young to start agility now but wanted to get all her obidiance down now in preparation, and to have a well behaved rotty, cos I think when you have a dog with that stigma attached to it you have to be even more responsible to not add fuel to the already negative opinion of the breed. Plus she had a horrible start to life I want to give her everything she needs to b happy now she's with us!!
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Originally Posted by elaine cook View Post
Thanks guys, I know she is too young to start agility now but wanted to get all her obidiance down now in preparation, and to have a well behaved rotty, cos I think when you have a dog with that stigma attached to it you have to be even more responsible to not add fuel to the already negative opinion of the breed. Plus she had a horrible start to life I want to give her everything she needs to b happy now she's with us!!
Just wanted to say, what a refreshing and sensible post. We want to rescue a rottie in the future and we feel the same. Sadly they have such a reputation (unfounded!) and its up to us as owners to prove to society that these dogs can be well behaved and loving pets. We met two rotties recently that were Pets As Therapy dogs and it made my day. I wish you luck with your girl and would love to see some pics!
elaine cook
New Member!
Female 

27-12-2011, 06:14 PM
Thanks!! We have a staffy to, so when we're out on a walk I might as well b walking two crocodiles! Haha unfortunately rescue rotties get a bad press no matter what, the uneducated people think all royyies are dangerous, but then a lot of royyies enthusiasts (not all) shun rescue rottwilers as damaged goods or as super unpredictable but as long as you have got them from a good rescue centre they would have been behaviour checked and are just as good a pet as Amy dog. We got Roxie from an organisation called zep the dep, it's a registered charity and only rescues Rottweilers they are great you should google them if your thinking of adopting xx
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by elaine cook View Post
Thanks!! We have a staffy to, so when we're out on a walk I might as well b walking two crocodiles! Haha unfortunately rescue rotties get a bad press no matter what, the uneducated people think all royyies are dangerous, but then a lot of royyies enthusiasts (not all) shun rescue rottwilers as damaged goods or as super unpredictable but as long as you have got them from a good rescue centre they would have been behaviour checked and are just as good a pet as Amy dog. We got Roxie from an organisation called zep the dep, it's a registered charity and only rescues Rottweilers they are great you should google them if your thinking of adopting xx
Thanks for the link. I shall have a look. We spoke to a lovely lady on the rottie stand at Discover Dogs and she said the same, to only go to a good rescue that does full behaviour and medical checks. She showed us some of the rescues that she'd helped with. She recommended Rottweilers In Need Charity so its handy to now know a few to try. We have a staffie cross too but her face looks more whippet so we dont get too many people crossing the road to get away! Such a shame though, as they are the nicest dogs. If I saw you walking your two down the road, I'd cross over to get to you, demanding doggy cuddles!!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 06:21 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
The best place to look for agility classes is the Agility Net site.

Try the Goughs at Cara Dog Training although that might mean travelling.

http://www.caradogtraining.com/
Chrissy and Barry are great so I can second that recommendation
tillytheterrier
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-12-2011, 06:24 PM
Just looked at their website. I want Charlie!!!
elaine cook
New Member!
Female 

27-12-2011, 06:29 PM
The guy that runs zep the dep is called John he's a lovely guy he used to work for the RSPCA, we are in Southampton but traveled up to Darby to meet him and his dogs!! And it was well worth the trip to come back with the beautiful Roxie!! Il try and put some picks up when I work out how to do it! Haha I can't wait to get my teeth in to some training with her to see what she can do x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >