Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-06-2011, 05:10 PM

Feeding routines for multi dog households

What kind of feeding routine do you go through when you have to feed more than one dog ??
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Dog food goes in bowl, bowls go on floor, voila, dogs fed
Both are very foody so I just stick their bowls down at opposite ends of the kitchen and release them from their sits, both finish dinner about the same time. Neither are really resource guarders though. The only thing I have to be careful with is whole rabbit as these are the only thing they'll get a bit protective over so they get them out in the garden at opposite ends with me hovering around making sure they leave each other well alone. If I give them a RMB or carcass, they just take them off to a comfy place to eat them, they're not bothered about being in close proximity but I never leave them to eat bone unattended anyway (just incase they're forgetting to chew them properly, a "woah slow down" tends to remind them)
Jem
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Oldest to youngest, all sitting and waiting, all at different ends of the kitchen x
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-06-2011, 05:15 PM
Mine get fed together. I hate to think of their horror if I fed one and not the other!

They are fed in the same room (kitchen) about 3 feet apart, and I always stay in the room until they have finished, which isn't long Jake actually finishes first, and moves away, then Simon will check out his bowl, then Jake will check out Simon's bowl...

They never bother each other, but the cat has pushed his luck a bit far sometimes.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Daisy in the garden, little dog in the hall, Shamus in the back room and Razzle in the front room. In that order.
They know the routine and stand and wait in their space.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
What kind of feeding routine do you go through when you have to feed more than one dog ??
Depends where I am.

If I am out and about, one gets fed in the car, the other outside.

If I am at home, one in the cage and one elsewhere.

Both do resource guard food from each other, it is of very high value to them and I want them to be relaxed as possible when they eat as both breeds are famous for being prone to GD and/or GDV.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-06-2011, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Depends where I am.

If I am out and about, one gets fed in the car, the other outside.

If I am at home, one in the cage and one elsewhere.

Both do resource guard food from each other, it is of very high value to them and I want them to be relaxed as possible when they eat as both breeds are famous for being prone to GD and/or GDV.
GD/GDV/????
translate please
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 05:26 PM
Gastric Dilatation and Volvulus, posh name for bloat
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Mine get fed at the same time. Tilly and Dexter at opposite ends of the kitchen and Bo in the utility room. Tilly is a resource guarder and Bo won't hesitate to challenge her, so for them it is easiest that they don't see each other when eating. Tilly is always finished before Bo so it isn't really an issue.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

03-06-2011, 05:28 PM
thank you .
bloat i am well aware of ...
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »