Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lanea
New Member!
Female 

23-01-2017, 01:29 AM

Only dog syndrome...what do I do?

I have a 3 year old yorkie, Pip. And a 6 month old Australian shepherd, sky. Pip has major separation anxiety, she gets so depressed when my son is away that she used to pace and whine consistently and would not eat.

I decided to get another dog as a companion. For the first few months the dogs got along great! The past few weeks, pip has been extremely jealous and somewhat aggressive. I buy 2 of the same toy when I go get them something new so there is no fighting over a specific toy and I make sure that Pip shares her old toys. If she takes one from sky, I take it away.

Pip has been barking and growling if any even looks at her! She has attacked her when sky grabs toys to play with. I am being consistent in making Pip understand that's not allowed but I'm worried that she realized sky is staying and Pip doesn't want another dog.

If that's the case, I'll need to find a good home for sky but the old she gets the harder it'll be. How can I tell if this is just a phase??
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-01-2017, 09:44 AM
the first thing you need to do is remove ALL toys and anything else that sets her off, when you have dogs that squabble over toys specially two bitches you need to remove them, trying to make one understand that they need to share is not going to happen, dogs don`t understand the concept of sharing, and you are seeing this, you could buy ten toys of the same kind if one dog wants them all they will take them all, you can feed treats and food separately but you need to make sure neither one can disturb the other till its finished, you may have to stand between them to make sure they do not try to take each others food, but if you just give them a toy each and walk away you cant stop the behaviour you are seeing.

You have a couple of choices , you either re home the youngest one , or you put in place a strict regime, where you never allow them the opportunity to fight over an object, and sadly resource guarding can escalate to a dangerous level particular in bitches, sadly if they start to fight they can take a life lone dislike for each other, and when you have two bitches fight it can be to the death.
Lanea
New Member!
Female 

23-01-2017, 05:08 PM
Thanks for your advice! I'll definitely try taking away all toys and bones. They have separate bowls and can eat just fine around each other, the problem is the toys and when one is like on the furniture and the other just walks around. I'll try to not allow either on the furniture for a while...

Hopefully Pip will adjust and I won't need to rehome sky.