Our sister sites
Our sister sites
AngelFoxhound
New Member!
Female 

14-01-2017, 04:46 PM

Dog Pulling and Barking at Strangers

Hello all,

My 7-month-old foxhound really pulls at the lead. I mean, all the time. I even got one of those special leads that goes over the muzzle to stop pulling, but this only works to a degree. I have tried stopping, literally every two steps, making her "wait", and then going again once she is beside me. Doesn't help. She still pulls. And I think because she is in front of me for most of the walks, she barks at every stranger we pass, her hackles will raise, and she pulls at the lead trying to get at the stranger. I don't think she would actually bite anyone. How can I correct this pulling in a foxhound whose natural instinct is to always be at the lead of the pack? I would be especially grateful if other hound dog owners could give me some tips. I find that most of the advice on here that works for normal dogs doesn't work for the hounds!!
AngelFoxhound
New Member!
Female 

15-01-2017, 09:45 PM
So I have started shortening her lead so that she is forced to walk right beside me. I don't like this, but a friend of mine says that I must do this so that she is not ahead of me. By the end of the walks, my hand is sore from holding her back, and my feet are sore, too! She is still barking at strangers, but maybe only 85% of the time now. Tonight, we are visiting a dog trainer for a 1-on-1 session to address these issues. I really hope it helps.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2017, 11:39 PM
Don't keep her on a short, tight lead. Try walking her on a shortish but loose lead to start with. When she walks ahead, give her a short sharp verbal command like "Wait!" or "Heel" whilst at the same time giving her a short sharp tug on the lead. Tug and release, tug and release ... constant pulling will just wear you out as you have already learned, and achieves nothing. of You may prefer the softer command "shhh" ... at the same time as the short sharp tug. I have never known this method to fail, but certainly keeping a dog on a short tight lead I have known to fail virtually always.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-01-2017, 12:10 AM
Do you use titbits to train? Hounds are very greedy and sometimes the best way to get through to them is through their stomach! For lead training, the best advice I can give is to watch the YouTube video on this topic by Kikopup. Keep the lessons short and the treats generous to begin with. Remember that scenthounds go deaf when their noses go down, so they are only listening when their attention is fully on you.

Re. meeting other people and dogs. This is where the, 'watch me' command comes into its own. If there is space, take your hound at a comfortable distance to one side, and reward, reward, reward for keeping her attention focussed on you as the distraction goes by. You can allow the distance to gradually reduce as she becomes more comfortable in these situations. As she becomes more steady, you will be able to give the, 'Watch me' command as soon as you see the threat, (as she sees it), approaching. If necessary tempt her with the promise of a treat, and walk on smartly and calmly, leaving her no time to become distracted.
I hope your training session went well and your trainer suggested using similar methods to these. Avoid mixing methods as this will only confuse her.
AngelFoxhound
New Member!
Female 

16-01-2017, 10:06 PM
Thanks for your advice! The advice from the trainer was similar. She showed me how to walk with the lead slightly loose. She recommended that I get a haltie, since my dog pulls very forcefully. A Haltie prevents her from doing this because it controls her head movements. I went out and bought one today. Going to try it out tonight. Wish me luck!
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-01-2017, 12:23 AM
Though it is an artificial aid, and not a substitute for training, I have found a Halti very useful. When I use one, I use it with a double ended 2 metre line - one clip to the Halti, and the other to a flat leather collar. That way I can keep a balanced contact, a little like the reins on a horse, but am able to apply more tension to the Halti line if I need to redirect the dog's attention. It also means that if the dog ever slips its Halti, it does not become loose. I aim to dispense with the Halti as soon as the dog becomes more responsive.
Yes, good luck, scenthounds are not the easiest, but you will get there!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-01-2017, 10:06 AM
This thread just shows how all dogs are different. My Ben would absolutely hate a Halti - it would achieve nothing. But it works for your dogs Carole, that's all that counts. Dogs are very diverse not just by virtue of their breed, but as individuals, and a good dog trainer should know this and always bear it in mind. Ben and his father before him was just not interested in treats as a training aid.

Very interesting - vive la difference I say!!
AngelFoxhound
New Member!
Female 

17-01-2017, 02:38 PM
My Halti has an extra clip that clips onto the collar in case the dog gets her nose out of the Haltie itself. I dare say she won't get loose!