Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katalin13
New Member!
Female 

04-01-2017, 12:54 PM

HELP!! Puppy becoming aggressive and biting

Hello,
I'm new to this forum. I adopted a 4 month old sheltie (and what I believe to be border collie mix). He was as sweet as can be 2 weeks ago when I got him. My mom and I share custody so he is with her during the day when I work and he is with me at night. He began to mouth us which I know is natural for pups and he has been losing his baby teeth though I think he might be done now. We have a routine down but during the holidays, I stayed with my mom and I think that threw him off because when he came back to my place last night, he went absolutely crazy. He had the zoomies (where they tuck their butt in and run) and he became very aggressive with his toys and growling and then he became super aggressive with me. It came to the point where he was guarding the couch and he wouldn't let me sit on it so I just took him off the couch and then he tried to get up - then I would put him back down. We did this for almost 20-30 minutes until finally he calmed down and I allowed him to snuggle with me.

My question is what do I do when he goes nuts like this? He doesn't listen to me at all and then starts biting, growling and barking at me. He is not neutered yet and I'm getting an appointment for hopefully next week. I read that he could be entering his teenage phase. I have owned dogs before and sure they went through their adolescent phases but I have never seen it so bad as I do with my Finn. PLEASE HELP!! I just need to know what to do to calm him down when he goes crazy like this.

Oh, and ps - he does NOT act like this with my mom. He doesn't test her at all. He might get a little nippy but that's it. I feel like he only does this with me and thinks he can bully me. Are time-outs allowed in his crate? I've heard some people do that. I tried it yesterday and he went even more crazy and it was starting to get late and I didn't want my neighbors complaining. He settled down before I let him out. But I always give him treats in his crate so he does like it in there.

Sorry so long, I just need help I'm hoping some obedience classes and the neutering will help him calm down a bit

Thanks,
Kat
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

04-01-2017, 01:28 PM
He's a puppy all puppies have the zoomies especially if they don't get enough exercise. He's not an adolescent yet and I should hope he's not been neutered yet as he's only 4 months old. Try interacting with him to tire his brain out, teach him some commands and practice them. Take him for a walk.
Neutering is not a cure all, it removes their ability to reproduce and that's it.
Coop
New Member!
Male 

04-01-2017, 10:58 PM
Personally, I think that it's totally normal behavior of puppies to go off the reservation when they get excited. Especially for working dog breeds, like yours. However, if your dog starts to get a bit nippy, and tries to test you, then it wouldn't be entirely wrong to remind them that you're the alpha. There are plenty of online resources on alpha dog training that you could look into. Once you set that boundary at a young age, they'll seldom break it.
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-01-2017, 11:58 PM
Please do not neuter your puppy yet. If it must be done, do it for the right reasons, and not as a shortcut to training him, which will probably not work anyway. Though rescue centres often do juvenile neutering, a year is plenty soon enough, this should allow more time for his joints time to develop properIy.
Personally, I love to see puppies having the zoomies, and believe that this is not intended as aggression, but just a way of relieving pent up energy. Try joining with him in some of these games, diverting any biting on to tuggies, balls, or other toys - this is a good way to build a relationship with him. When he is a little older you will be able to use exercise to help to keep his energy level more stable.
Nobody wants a robot puppy, or a stuffed toy, but you do say that your Mum seems more able to guide your puppy's behaviour. We all know that Mother knows best (?), so watch how she deals with him, and see if you can copy some of her methods.