Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Natalee
New Member!
Female 

01-01-2017, 07:34 AM

Aggressive Dog Just Will Never Stop

Hello,
I am Natalee, I have 2 dogs a Full Breed Yorkie which is a Female. Also a Shih Tzu, Yorkie Mix which is a male and 4 years old he was also in about 4 houses before we got him at 6 months from a friend who could not take care of him anymore, we think one of the houses lived in might have abused him before. The female (Lily) is not the issue. The male (Jake) however is. When New Years comes along I dread it because Jake does not like other dogs, and so when my family goes to my aunts house (Which is a tradition)We have a rough start with him because of their dogs which are... a pit bull (who is old and so sweet) and a husky/lab mix who is very timid. So most of the time we have not too bad of an issue with Jake because he can slowly learn how to get along with the non-aggressive others. However this year my other aunt brought her rambunctious pit bull puppy who chases the dogs around to play. Typically our house is extremely calm with no chaos. When we go over there it is another story. So the point is Jake will nip, growl, and bite at the other dog. When he gets wound up he gets really bad anxiety and will attempt to bite anyone who bothers him. Including my 4 year old nephew, he bit him today however nobody was watching so we are not sure if he did we just think so.

Another issue with Jake is that he hates my brother. When we first got him this was no trouble he loved him. My brother said he did nothing to him ever. When my brother gets home from work, or school Jake will actually attack him. My brother has been bit numerous times and Jake will never just stop. He also dislikes men and loves woman for whatever reason. I think one of the final issues with Jake is that if he hears or sees the smallest thing he will bark and growl for at least 30 minutes.

Lastly, Jake is very territorial and and protective especially over my mom and I. If he is laying on my bed for a while and you try to pick him up he will growl, snarl, and if you take it too far bite you. This has been a huge challenge for us these past 4 years. He is very misbehaved and quite annoying but we still try to help out and calm him down everyday. I have done a lot of research and found that this mix of dogs can sometimes be bad. If anyone can help out with this terrible situation that would mean the world to me. I know that this is a lot to comprehend but if you understand even of the slightest that would be terrific if you can get back to me. Reminder!! I don't personally think it is because of our training to him due to the fact that before Jake and Lily we had and EXTREMELY well behaved German Shepard/Husky mix and it has only been Jake we had any issue with. Also if you have any questions feel free to ask them at anytime.
Thank you for your help
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-01-2017, 10:37 AM
Well I disagree with you, I think it's very much a training issue. Although why you insist on taking him to relatives homes when he clearly isn't happy with it is beyond me. Either leave him at home or if you're gone for days take a crate with you and set him up a safe zone where he can relax and not be forced to interact with others.
As for the bed just don't let him on it, train him to get off when told, you shouldn't have to man handle him he should know his commands. If you must allow him on the bed although I can't think of a single reason why then have him on a house line and you can remove him safely.
Seriously what this dog needs is a no nonsense owner willing to put in the effort to train him. i guess you were lucky with the GSD but generally people allow small dogs to take more liberties, give them more leeway and before you know it you have a territorial dictator on your hands. It's not too late to change his ways but you have to take control.
Any mix of dogs can be bad, it's generally the owner the makes the difference. Yorkie's may be cute but they are terriers and terriers are feisty. Being cute just allows them to get away with bad behaviour. My rule is if I wouldn't accept a behaviour from a big dog then I won't accept it from a small dog.
There is no magic potion to help you, the answer is consistent and persistent training.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-01-2017, 11:59 AM
Couldn't agree more Trouble! Jake has Little Man Syndrome and needs to be taught that he is not Head Honcho.

A ridiculous situation in every way. I do hope Natalee you manage to get Jake sorted, because it sounds very worriesome to me that there is some likelihood that he bit a 4 year old, not to mention adults.
Natalee
New Member!
Female 

01-01-2017, 10:53 PM
We have been training him for all of the years we have had him. He is very obedient and we put a TON of time and money into him. From puppy school to obedience classes and even aggressive dog training. However he "Just Won't Stop" we are very strict with him yet he still thinks he is the boss. Just to prove to you that he is well trained yet his obedience lacks he knows how to Sit, Lay, Roll-over, Shake with both hands, Wave, Stand on his hinds legs, High-five, Sit pretty, do a circle, play-dead and even how to put his toys away. However with the relatives housing issue we made the decision after last night to never do it again. I forgot to mention that Jake does have a crate and will go in it for protection when needed. He is also crate-trained and know the saying "Go in your cage" but doesn't like it too well. This year when we went we put him in his cage in the basement with the do closed. But, because he knows there are other dogs upstairs he would bark and whine the entire time enabling us not to have the fun we want. Jake doesn't like not knowing what is going on. I personally think that this is a bit more serious than just a training problem and that there could be a more in-depth solution. However thank you for the recommendation and we will be sure to enforce rules even more than we already do.
Natalee
New Member!
Female 

01-01-2017, 11:20 PM
sorry but I am new and didn't know how to reply on the website but now i found out. LOL

We have been training him for all of the years we have had him. He is very obedient and we put a TON of time and money into him. From puppy school to obedience classes and even aggressive dog training. However he "Just Won't Stop" we are very strict with him yet he still thinks he is the boss. Just to prove to you that he is well trained yet his obedience lacks he knows how to Sit, Lay, Roll-over, Shake with both hands, Wave, Stand on his hinds legs, High-five, Sit pretty, do a circle, play-dead and even how to put his toys away. However with the relatives housing issue we made the decision after last night to never do it again. I forgot to mention that Jake does have a crate and will go in it for protection when needed. He is also crate-trained and know the saying "Go in your cage" but doesn't like it too well. This year when we went we put him in his cage in the basement with the do closed. But, because he knows there are other dogs upstairs he would bark and whine the entire time enabling us not to have the fun we want. Jake doesn't like not knowing what is going on. I personally think that this is a bit more serious than just a training problem and that there could be a more in-depth solution. However thank you for the recommendation and we will be sure to enforce rules even more than we already do.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-01-2017, 09:06 AM
All the sit pretty's and high fives count for nothing when he doesn't understand and obey "ENOUGH" and "LEAVE IT" or "Get off"Have to laugh that you don't seem to think retraining him isn't an in depth solution, trust me I've taken on dogs badly raised by others and turned them around completely, it's no easy task.