Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Anto26
New Member!
Male 

29-12-2016, 02:52 AM

Aggression & Possessiveness Leads to Biting

HI,

I have a miniature Poodle mix I got from a shelter 4 or 5 months ago. The shelter said they found him on the streets, and he was in really bad condition. Now whenever we give him anything that is hos own, say a bone/toy, if you try to take it away, he was viciously bite you. Also, my son who has special needs away want to play with him, but when my son tries to pet him he bites him. I really need help on what to do because I don't want to have to take him back to the shelter.

Thanks,
Anthony
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-12-2016, 03:37 AM
Originally Posted by Anto26 View Post
HI,

I have a miniature Poodle mix I got from a shelter 4 or 5 months ago. The shelter said they found him on the streets, and he was in really bad condition. Now whenever we give him anything that is hos own, say a bone/toy, if you try to take it away, he was viciously bite you. Also, my son who has special needs away want to play with him, but when my son tries to pet him he bites him. I really need help on what to do because I don't want to have to take him back to the shelter.

Thanks,
Anthony
Hi and welcome. I guess it can be a bit of a lottery when you get a stray. Time and patience is all I can suggest.

Difficult when you have no history.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-12-2016, 09:50 AM
I would go back to basics and start training as though he was a puppy. Treat him like a blank canvas. If he has a bone give him somewhere such as a crate to enjoy it undisturbed. Don't try to take things away from him until he has a solid "leave it" or "Give " command in place. Only allow yourson to interact when the dog is not eating etc.
Anto26
New Member!
Male 

29-12-2016, 02:34 PM
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
I would go back to basics and start training as though he was a puppy. Treat him like a blank canvas. If he has a bone give him somewhere such as a crate to enjoy it undisturbed. Don't try to take things away from him until he has a solid "leave it" or "Give " command in place. Only allow yourson to interact when the dog is not eating etc.
So what I have done is taken away all his toys and bones because he doesn't keep them in the crate, he just takes them out and he bites if you try to put them back in his crate. Also, how would I approach teaching him leave it and give commands?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-12-2016, 04:12 PM
Leave it I usually teach with a treat, get him to sit and place the treat in front of him on the floor, as he goes to take it tell him to "leave it" and quickly cover the treat with your hand. If you think he'll bite you when you do this try wearing gloves.When he succeeds in leaving when told give him the treat and praise him.
With "Give" I hold my hand out to receive and in the other hand have a toy or treat he loves, when he gives up what you ask for give him the high value toy or treat and praise him.
Anto26
New Member!
Male 

29-12-2016, 06:49 PM
Ok thanks.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-12-2016, 10:01 PM
Good advice!