Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
wadakne
New Member!
Female 

27-12-2016, 11:05 PM

Dog will be evicted!

I have had my dog Mol for 4 years. She is a keeshond mix breed. For her first 2 years, me, my dad, brother, and sister lived in an apartment. We then moved into my step mothers house when she was 2. She has 4 sons, 2 huskies (2yrs), and one Rottweiler (9 years). Mol nips at my step brothers, mainly the youngest, and barks and gets rowdy when anyone runs around or wrestles each other. She is protective of me, my dad, and my sister. But she does like the oldest step brother, and seems to be scared of two of my step brothers and step mother. Mol had never done any of this before we moved, but has recently been doing it more and more. Just last week, the youngest of the boys (9) ran over to his mother and Mol chased after him and nipped at him, leaving his skin red but not broken to the point where blood is drawn. Every day for the past three days Mol has attacked the Rottweiler (who’s hips are basically gone so she can’t really protect herself) leaving me to have to scold her and crate her.
To avoid getting rid of her on the spot, my father is making me/my sister keep her locked up in one of our rooms in a crate until I can find a way to train her. He said she is not allowed outside of our rooms unless to go to the backyard to use the restroom, and during transport I need her on a leash. He wants to know if this will aggravate her to attack the Rottweiler or anyone in the family more than she has the past 3 days.
She is my first dog and she is smart and loyal and very loving, I would hate to get rid of her. Please help me with any tips of addresses to trainers.n
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-12-2016, 11:18 PM
Omg I want to scream every time I read these kind of posts, it's so much easier to train a puppy to be well behaved and get along with everyone. You beat your dog because you all failed to train her, try beating yourself. I suggest you keep your dog on a lead inside the home and while around other dogs and kids. That way she won't be able to chase after the kids or beat the Rottweiler up, if she does it's because the humans failed her yet again. By all means separate them when you can't be there but use the rest of the time as a teaching opportunity. You all need to take responsibility for the way the dog behaves so don't get rid of her retrain her.
wadakne
New Member!
Female 

27-12-2016, 11:33 PM
I never laid a hand on her until yesterday. these problems only started to arise in the past year. What training methods do you recommend I use? I know it is my fault for not training her as well as I should have when she was younger.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-12-2016, 11:36 PM
So you in your own words beat her, why do you think that's acceptable? It's not just your fault, where have the adults been? I've given you suggestions on how to proceed.
wadakne
New Member!
Female 

27-12-2016, 11:50 PM
I do not think it is acceptable what I did, which is why I came here for help. My parents think that I am the only one responsible for her because she is my dog. Your suggestions are definitely a better start on anything else I have seen and I thank you.
ParisMatch
New Member!
Female 

28-12-2016, 03:02 AM
Oh dear it's difficult isn't it? However beating, yelling, hitting is unacceptable behaviour as I'm sure you now know. And, trouble is correct this is all human error and no fault of poor puppy. Serious training ongoing is required and it's work, but so rewarding. Dogs need to hunt or perceived hunt to burn off pent up energy and to allow them to use their prey instinct. Take doggy for long runs walks use a toy as prey and throw it and book in some training classes or buy a trading book and dedicate an hour EVERYDAY to training this animal or I'm afraid it will end up a rescue dog.
mirandashell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2017, 07:59 PM
I'm no expert but it seems to me that your dog is suffering anxiety. How long have you been living with your stepmother?

When she gets rowdy, is it anxiety or is it overexcitement? Does she show fear?

I think a good trainer will be able to give you tips on what is causing the dog to behave this way. And you have to be prepared to put in the time and effort. It is not going to be an easy fix. But you can get back the dog you had before if you put in the work.

Good luck