Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jen62
New Member!
Female 

11-12-2016, 11:20 PM

English Bulldog hates bathes!

My English Bulldog is horrible for baths, she tries to bite the water and everything anywhere near her. We have managed to give her one by putting a med collar on so when she is going off she only bites that. Does anyone have any suggestions on a better way to give her a bath? I have training experience but have not run into this problem.
mirandashell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2017, 12:27 PM
I just wouldn't bathe her, tbh. If she's a EB, her fur is short so a wipedown should be enough. Or if the weather is warm, a hose in the back garden.
Lanea
New Member!
Female 

23-01-2017, 02:58 AM
Make sure the water is room temperature. I worked at a grooming salon and learned that room temp water is best, different breeds react different and what may only seem like warm water to you can be too hot for them.

Also, you could try to tie her to something when bathing her. You don't want her to freak out and get hurt so start with pouring just a little bit of water on her paws or bum. You may not get to do a full bath for a few months, gradually get her used to the water and when bathing her try to really massage the soap into her fur. Massaging can be taken as praise for good behavior, it's also comforting.
Biting means muzzle in grooming salons and where I worked we only muzzled after the dog tried to bite and we always gave them a chance to be nice the next time so the dog learned that it was the biting that got them in trouble.
Always reward good behavior! If your dog doesn't adjust then you can always give a dry bath. They even make Furminator dry bathing products, it's foamy and you rub it into your pets fur until the foam is gone and then you simply dry them off with a towel.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-01-2017, 07:15 AM
Are you putting her into a bath of water or are you just standing her in the bath and giving her a shower? I ask because it's not clear and when I say I'm bathing the dogs they actually have a shower in the bath. Which is better for dogs that freak out in the bath, I also give them a towel to stand on so their feet don't slip. I chat to them the whole time they are in there in a happy voice telling them how good they are etc. I have no clue what a med collar is but doesn't it just get in the way? It's also best to keep their faces as clear of water as possible. All of mine love a good old massage which is mainly what they get while making sure the shampoo gets everywhere thoroughly and the same when rinsing it off. We turn drying them off into a game, I get soaked while they are dried off as much as possible.
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

23-01-2017, 09:05 AM
Considered taking her to a a groomer?