View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cideon
New Member!
Female 

07-12-2016, 11:00 PM

Trying to teach puppy to walk inot neighborhood, but she is scared of dogs barking

So my Great Dane puppy is about 12-13 weeks right now, and I started yesterday to start to walk her outside. I don't want to take her to a park or some such where there areally a lot more dogs that have passed through until she finishes her shots (2 more weeks I think?). But being that she will grow fairly big, I want to start her on some leash manners early.

So 1st time she did ok; a little timid but we got three houses down and she took several easy steps at my left while I lured her with treats. Second time in evening she was a little less wary, and jogged along at points which I rewarded with treats along the way. We made it two further houses down before I figured it was a good time to quit. On the way back, someone had 2 or 3 larger dogs in the backyard who started barking loudly as we walked back by their gate (I guess they didn't hear us on when we first passed by? Or just got let out?). Little Starfleet FREAKED, pulling hard on her leash to get away and crying/yelping as she did so. I tried to walk by the house and then sit on the sidewalk to just let her get a moment to catch a breath (I was hoping to give her a treat after a Sit command, as a distraction). She wouldn't come back to me though I gave up and tried to coax her to me with the treat. She kept crying so we just walked back though she tried to run at the end. Third time this AM we went a different way and she did well at first. But she started getting scared and crouching when we could hear some other dogs barking not in our immediate area. She refused to return home on my left, preferring to trail back on my right (sidewalk sandwiching her in between i think for safety) or behind me (stopping and looking around in fear a few times).

Forgot to mention last night after her walk, she was a bit scared in the backyard when fed dinner or out for potty, any time an echoing bark was heard. And she had never taken notice of any dogs barking before this :<

So how do I handle her walks? I've noticed they have already made a difference in getting her not to cry in her crate and she's not as hyper during play time. But should I focus more on training (for both our safety because of her eventual size) and we don't go as far? Or do we work more on just having a good time as long as I don't let her pull me? I worry because I think this is that fear period, right? And I don't want to further make a mess of things :[
Jen62
New Member!
Female 

12-12-2016, 02:04 PM
Sitting down with her and giving her a treat was rewarding the behavior. You have to continue to walk by these dogs and when she starts to pull and act up stand there and let her go till she stops and is ready to walk again. When you know the dogs are coming don't look at her , pick up the pace and walk right through it even if she pulls keep going. Than turn around and go back by them again. I repeat this till they stop, same thing with other noises. Don't ever pay attention to this behavior or baby the behavior it will only incourage it. You need to ignore it all so she sees from you there is nothing to be afraid of.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-12-2016, 02:57 PM
Perfect your happy voice and keep walking otherwise you're just rewarding her for being scared. Keep your voice upbeat and chat away to her as you go. She'd probably do better on a harness, less easy to wriggle out of than a collar. When she freaks out don't sympathise and don't reward just gee her up and keep going. Break into a trot if necessary. You have to make everything fun.
mirandashell
Dogsey Junior
Female 

08-01-2017, 05:38 PM
I agree with the other two. Just keep walking and talking to her in a happy voice. Relax yourself as much as possible and just keep walking.

And others may disagree with me but don't treat so much. A walk should be fun for a dog. It gets the dog out where there are smells and noises and interesting things. There should be no need to keep feeding the dog whilst walking.

So basically if you make the walk fun the dog will have fun. Just keep walking and keep using the happy voice.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-01-2017, 09:40 PM
Agree with the last 3! Especially not treating ... I personally don't like to use treats, but prefer to reward with my voice and lots of fun! The best reward for my old boy Ben is to cry out to him "Puppy dog!!" in a silly high pitched voice! He immediately breaks out in a great big goofy grin and breaks into a canter which, if he is on his extension lead, usually takes my hubby off-guard and he ends up on his arse!! Which then results in Ben pouncing on him and covering him in licky kisses! Two old farts together having lots of fun!! All the reward necessary!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-01-2017, 09:39 AM
I only ever use food treats for pups when teaching commands, I still even with pups mainly use praise and tone of voice and acting the fool is always well received.