Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ryder38
New Member!
Male 

18-05-2016, 11:14 PM

Seperation anxiety becoming too much!

Hi everyone!

My girlfriend and I have 3 year old female boxer. My girlfriend wasn't working for the first year we had her, so the dog was constantly showered with affection and cuddles resulting in her becoming hyper-attached to my girlfriend. So after that first year, my GF went back to work full-time and that's where the separation anxiety really became apparent. When we would leave the house/room she would almost instantly start whining, it would start as a soft whine and within 20 minutes work its way up to very loud crying and howling making it seriously sound like she is being abusively tortured by an axe murderer.

We've had plenty of issues and nasty comments from the neighbors due to her whining, we've also had the animal police called on us claiming abuse. There have been a couple of days where she caused lots of damage to the inside of the house and even inflicted harm on herself resulting in some very costly vet visits.

So as soon as we identified the issue, we cracked down and have done as much as possible to help her beat the anxiety, and we have been very consistent in doing so over the past 2 years. She has been house broken for 2 years now, we constantly use positive reinforcement, we have gotten professional help through trainers, we have implemented just about all advice and methods useful against SA, we successfully crate trained her (never in her crate longer than 5-6hrs), we've used plenty of gimmicky devices to help (thundershirt),and she is also now prescribed Prozac. ect. the list goes on. We have fought the good fight to help her beat this, but little has improved over these 2 years. Mind you the dog gets regular exercise and love. We do our absolute best to care for her responsibly.

I know its not the dogs fault but i've begun to resent her a little. The relationship between my GF and I has become pretty rocky as well due to the stress this causes us. I'm moving in the direction that we just need to find her a new home where she can be with someone who can meet her needs as a dog, but of course my GF highly protests this idea. I don't see quitting our jobs and losing the house just to accommodate a dog as a real option.

If anyone has been in a similar situation and has some good advice, I am all ears! I'm running out of time and patience. Thanks for reading

*And if you're going to just call us bad dog owners and insult us, please just keep it to yourself, I've gotten plenty of that on other forums.
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2016, 09:08 AM
I wouldn't insult you, my son has the same problem.
I was going to suggest the Thunder shirt because that is what he uses. I don't have any other ideas except to go with the trainers advice.
Good luck.
1cutedog
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-05-2016, 09:47 PM
Ryder38 no way would I insult you or call you a bad owner. I too had a dog with severe seperation anxiety. I wish someone could come on and tell you how to solve this. I had my dog for 4 1/2 years and lost her over 2 years ago. I cried many tears over her going but I admit to feelings of relief as well as I never solved her issues. As I live alone I had no social life, in fact it was difficult even to run to the shops for a pint of milk as I knew she was suffering at home barking and howling and the stress for both of us was unbelievable.

I tried everything with her even had a dog psychologist but he didn't tell me anything different to what I had read online. I spent a fortune on dog walkers and kennels for during the day if I had to go to the doctors or do a food shopping. I feel your pain and can understand you starting to resent her a little.

There are a few threads on here regarding seperation anxiety one of which is mine with others joining in and it goes on and on but no one appeared to be successfull.

I'm truly sorry I can't give you more hopeful news.
scruffy_fun
New Member!
Female 

27-06-2016, 08:52 AM
I really feel for you. My dog suffers from separation anxiety and I've had to make some lifestyle changes to accommodate it, including changing job and barely going out. I realised this was a real issue when she was so upset being left on her own for a few hours that she chewed the window pane to bits and then actually managed to jump out of the landing window. We're lucky she didn't break anything.

Have you identified the triggers that really set your dog off when you leave? My dog is fine being in a room on her own for a little while as long as she knows we're still in the house, plus she's fine being inside on her own if she knows we're just in the garden. It's when she hears the car start that she seems to flip out. I haven't started training desensitisation properly yet but when I do there will be lots of traipsing indoors and out starting and stopping the car! Fun. I'm sure my car will really appreciate it.

Do you and your girlfriend both still worth full time? I think one of the first things you have to do with separation anxiety is not to leave the dog on its own at all while you try the techniques. If your dog is getting regularly freaked out at being alone then I don't think she is going to be as receptive to training when you do have time to do it. Easier said than done, I know. Do you have any retired family or friends who might be able to watch her while you're at work, or could you consider some kind of doggy day care? It might help promote some independence and would also put your mind at ease.

All the best, I know it sucks.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2016, 12:03 PM
Have a word with your vet. It may be that clomicalm (clomipramine) will be more effective with your girl if prozac isn't doing the job.

It will be more effective if you continue with your routines (training) for easing her towards being able to settle when she is alone, but for true separation anxiety, it has had some good results in the past.

Good luck. I hope you manage to get her sorted out so she can continue to live a long and happy life with you
curlytail
New Member!
Female 

02-01-2017, 05:26 PM
hello. I am in same boat. Can only leave my rescue dog for 20 mins tops. It is making life v hard. I have a question for everyone on this thread - i have tried adaptil, not tried thundershirt, have an app to watch him while i'm out on my phone...vet has recommend a sort of prozac but seems to defeat idea of actually training him, BUT, I thought i might as final resort-from people's replies above, can i ask..does doggy prozac not work then?