Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pignett
New Member!
Female 

06-12-2015, 05:05 PM

Recall problems

We have a nearly 3 year old terrier cross. Lovely, happy, lively , boy, he has been to classes, ha ha. But he has selective recall. I really want to trust him when I let him off, but 50% of the time, he blanks us, disappears for 10 to 15 mins then comes tottering back from somewhere. So, a, what can we do, if anything and b, should you tell them off when they come back?I say no, hubby says how will he learn he has done wrong?.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-12-2015, 05:15 PM
No you shouldn't tell them off when they come back or why would they bother, I'd act ecstatic on his return till he's totally reliable. Make him want to come back every time.
As for training a solid recall I start when they are young by playing hide and seek indoors and then as soon as we go out I make myself fun and the centre of the universe. I let mine off straight away but you can use a long line and keep chopping and changing direction, making the dog focus on you. If you walk as a couple you can take it in turns to disappear from view, hide behind trees and bushes, be unpredictable break into a run with no warning, have a dawdle then take off at a right angle, then double back on yourself.
pignett
New Member!
Female 

06-12-2015, 05:27 PM
Thank you for your advice. He is a rescue, we have had him for a year now and has calmed down slightly, but has so much energy!. Loves other dogs and has a lovely play, then zoom, he's off. He loves to furrage in shrubbery and bushes and just won't come out till he's ready, cannot find anywhere secure for him in our area . Tried taking his favourite toy out, and he's fine for 5 mins, then loses interest and sometimes is too busy following a scent to even be bothered with that. Have tried a long training lead but he gets so tangled, but don't want to give up!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

06-12-2015, 05:42 PM
One of mine would ignore all toys and treats on walks but they are happy enough when they wander off from you but tend to flap a bit when you do the disappearing. It's harder with an adult but not impossible.
pignett
New Member!
Female 

06-12-2015, 05:47 PM
He doesn't give a fig, if we disappear, he doesn't look back after he's gone so far, as most dogs do, when I have caught his eye I have said " come" excitedly and started running in the opposite direction, only to see he has gone back to what he was doing. Little bugger!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran

06-12-2015, 06:20 PM
It's better to say nothing and just disappear from view, you need to be patient till he notices you've gone, let him come looking for you in your hiding place.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

06-12-2015, 09:41 PM
This is the best article on training recall out there - it's the only thing that worked for me and my dog

Try it and let us know how you get on and I agree with Trouble - don't chastise your dog on return or he'll never want to
Lilli
New Member!
Female 

09-12-2015, 05:03 PM
I would keep up with using the line for training. Only 'call him' (dog's name and 'come' or whatever word you want to use - sometimes we call their name but forget to tell them what we want - in this case 'come') if you know he is going to 'come' (otherwise you are teaching him to ignore being called). Call him excitedly when on the line and run backwards reeling him in - lots of fuss and reward when he gets to you. Always reward when he comes - use extra special treats/toy for this exercise. Persevere - you'll get there.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

10-12-2015, 02:07 PM
Originally Posted by Lilli View Post
I would keep up with using the line for training. Only 'call him' (dog's name and 'come' or whatever word you want to use - sometimes we call their name but forget to tell them what we want - in this case 'come') if you know he is going to 'come' (otherwise you are teaching him to ignore being called). Call him excitedly when on the line and run backwards reeling him in - lots of fuss and reward when he gets to you. Always reward when he comes - use extra special treats/toy for this exercise. Persevere - you'll get there.
That's the method I use. Just walk along with a longish line, 6 feet long should do it. Let him walk ahead, then stop, say excitedly "Fido come" and start backing up, open your harms and make a fuss of him, and randomly treat. Do this many times on each and every walk, also keep the timing random, if you sense he is bored leave it awhile. Coming to you has to be exciting. Failure to come should never be punished, they will just learn to fear you. This does work, but you have to be persistent.
Henricavoodle
New Member!
Female 

10-05-2016, 05:44 AM
Try playing this game it helps alot.

I play it with my Puppy Henri and he comes every time when we call him.

or watch it in action here:
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >