View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 11:31 PM
that is horrible! some people are so judgemental!
nickmcmechan
Almost a Veteran
Male 

11-09-2010, 06:02 AM
i think he was wholly unreasonable, but at the same time if you have 3 dobes then you must be aware of peoples attitudes towards such breeds, rightly or wrongly (mostly wrongly)

would it not have been sensible to drop a note when booking the accomodation that you are bringing along 3 very well behaved and trained dobermans

there has been 4 attacks on children by dogs in scotland in the news in the past week or so. breeds involved included 2 rotties who chased and attacked a girl of pre-school age who was riding a bike in a park and two teenage boys lying in their bed that was attacked by a rescue 'bull terrier' (they only had it a week and didn't have a background for the dog). the other attacks were a staffie on a 2 year old and an akita...all dogs were either classed a dangerous by what i would call public attitude

such attacks in the news are fuelling peoples attitudes towards this sort of thing and must admit i'm keeping my dogs on the lead around kids - more to prevent the irrational reactions than anything the dogs would ever do

i think we all need to be mindful of the public attitude right now; i'm sure it will settle down soon
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

11-09-2010, 08:11 AM
As the owner of 3 Dobermanns myself I would have made sure when booking the site owner was aware of how many dogs I would be bringing along as I have 5 and would have made them fully aware of their breeds etc, that said if told they had to stay on lead on site I would have complied. As for being dangerous any dog can be dangerous and my lot are a lot more stable and laid back than virtually any other dogs we meet. My view is I can't control how everyone else behave's and reacts but I can control my dogs and they can dispel people's misconceptions, even if they do think mine are exceptions rather than the rule.
Anne-Marie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 08:14 AM
Obviously he was very breedist. If it was a case of simply disobeying the rules stating dogs should be on-lead, surely a friendly reminder to do so would have been sufficient?

I believe in this instance the caravan park owner was very prejudiced against Dobies and totally unjustified in making them leave. Would he have done that if another breed had been off-lead - don't think so!

I think we are going to have the same sort of problem when we go camping for the first time next year. I have a feeling that a lot of the camp-sites will not allow us to take Marius
Insomnia
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 08:23 AM
I've seen some campsites which have a list that they prohibit. This included: Boston terriers, Shar Pei, Chow chow, and others similar, despite none of them being on the official list...
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

11-09-2010, 09:24 AM
Originally Posted by Anne-Marie View Post
Obviously he was very breedist. If it was a case of simply disobeying the rules stating dogs should be on-lead, surely a friendly reminder to do so would have been sufficient?

I believe in this instance the caravan park owner was very prejudiced against Dobies and totally unjustified in making them leave. Would he have done that if another breed had been off-lead - don't think so!

I think we are going to have the same sort of problem when we go camping for the first time next year. I have a feeling that a lot of the camp-sites will not allow us to take Marius
You will be surprised .. Follow the rules of the site and you wont have a problem ...
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 09:26 AM
Originally Posted by JackieandMia View Post
The caravan club don't discriminate against any breed of dog they accept any providing they are kept leashed and i presume that's the same for their CL sites.
I didn't say that the CC discriminate against certain breeds of dogs but CLs are not run by the CC. The information that individual CLs may not allow certain breeds came from a member, whose parents used to run a CL and knew other people that did and they can pick and chose. Not all CLs do accept dogs at all and some, as I understand from that member, chose which breeds to accept.

At the end of the day, yes the dogs were off lead and they should not have been but I do wonder if the OP had taken another breed of dog that had been temporarily off lead, such as a labrador, would they have been asked to leave?
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Just found the older thread I was referring to, this was a GSD that wasn't allowed. Post 12 is the member I was referring to in relation to guidelines as to which dogs to accept.

http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=85640
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-09-2010, 09:39 AM
The site owner knew they were bring three dobes and said fine so long as they were kept on a lead.

First night they broke the rules.

OK there was a bit of an over reaction to it but if you know the situation you can't cry when you are penalised for breaking those rules.

They now have made it more difficult for anyone else with the same breed to book that site.
KatieSmith
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-09-2010, 10:08 AM
It was a family run site and I think (will have to check) that it wasn't a CL site but privately owned and that is why our friends have no head office to complain to. personally, I wouldn't have let them off lead especially after being told not to as that I feel is provoking the situation. OH and I are members of the CAravan Club and have stayed in many sites, private, CC, Cl etc. but we respect the other caravanners and the owners of the sites.

That said, I know these dogs and they are the softest, friendliest dogs around and I was appalled when we were told that they'd been thrown off site for having Dobermanns - breedist, ignorant, ill-informed whatever, these site people handled the situation wrong and lost 3 weeks of money from our friends Mick and Mon plus the word of mouth is worse publicity than anything.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >