Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 08:00 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
People can walk wherever they choose if its "public." People should have their dogs under control anyway, therefore they would not be in a position to bother anyone who perhaps didnt care for them. I dont like being bothered by other peoples badly behaved dogs while I am out walking, similarly I dont like being bothered by other peoples children who act in a similar fashion!!
Agree 100%
spockky boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 08:02 PM
People can walk wherever they choose if its "public." People should have their dogs under control anyway, therefore they would not be in a position to bother anyone who perhaps didnt care for them. I dont like being bothered by other peoples badly behaved dogs while I am out walking, similarly I dont like being bothered by other peoples children who act in a similar fashion!!
Agree as well.
Lynne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 08:04 PM
On our small local park when people are taking their dogs out between 8 & 9 am a Eastern European woman is taking her children to school across the road.
She is absolutely terrified of dogs. While the regular dog walkers now put their dogs on leads when we see her she grabs hold of the children & makes a de-tour to get away from us a look of panic on her face. Its a shame that she is forcing the children to be as scared of dogs as she is.
footsieG
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-05-2011, 08:28 PM
Hi, in the town areas round here dog walking is restricted, they can't go on the beach or the smaller parks, recently there has been some deemotration walks as the local council are trying to restrict it even more, there is one place where you can let your dog of lead a few years ago there was a family on the field, moaning about the dogs not the mess as it is a strict pick up area and is regularly visited by the warden, what made me laugh was they had gone by the time I got back to the car, they had left all their rubbish, from drink cans and papers it was a right mess.
What I am waffling about is that yes everyone should be able to walk everywhere, with walking into any mess whether dog or human left rubbish, we should be able to live in harmony, without being bothered by ill behaved kids or dogs.
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 08:41 PM
Totally agree...excellently put
tazer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 09:25 PM
As has already been said, people should be able to walk where ever they please and enjoy it.

However if someone has strong anti-dog feeling or a serious fobia, it would probably be wise to avoid areas with high dog concentrations if possible.

I was in a shop a few weeks ago where dogs are welcome, as long as they're on lead.

I came across a woman with a couple of kids one of which was nervous/scared of Storm who was standing calmly next to me. The woman told the kid that if she didn't behave my dog would come and get her. The older child finished off by saying yeah, it'll eat you.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
As the title asks?

What are the opinions of people on this----should people not walk in public areas if they don't like dogs?

rune-----whose posts seem to be disappearing on a regular basis
No, of course not, but they shouldn't freak and flap their arms like windmills and scream and panic if a dog comes near them either!

Last year, we were attending a village event, and in the farm buildings a tea room had been set up with tables and chairs. The heavens opened, and everyone was jam packed inside drinking tea and eating the yummy cakes. We were sitting at a little side table with our daughter, her chihuahua and Tai, surrounded by people of all ages, shapes and sizes, when this woman looked down at me and declared that her daughter was terrified of dogs, and allergic to them, and could we please move!! Of course, we did not, and continued enjoying our tea.

Whilst I was of course very sympathetic with her poor daughter, what a damned cheek!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 09:29 PM
Originally Posted by tazer View Post
As has already been said, people should be able to walk where ever they please and enjoy it.

However if someone has strong anti-dog feeling or a serious fobia, it would probably be wise to avoid areas with high dog concentrations if possible.

I was in a shop a few weeks ago where dogs are welcome, as long as they're on lead.

I came across a woman with a couple of kids one of which was nervous/scared of Storm who was standing calmly next to me. The woman told the kid that if she didn't behave my dog would come and get her. The older child finished off by saying yeah, it'll eat you.
O Lord Perfectly obvious where they got their fear from then!
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by Kerryowner View Post
We were out at Felbrigg Hall (National Trust building and lovely walking area) in Norfolk one Saturday and I had Cherry and Parker on leads as we were near the shop and plant sale area when a small child (5ish) said "dog alert, dog alert!" in a loud voice to her parents. I am afraid I couldn't help myself and said in an equally loud voice "child alert, child alert!"
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Originally Posted by Muddiwarx View Post
It depends how much the person doesn't like them .... I am not fond of peacocks and will actively avoid areas where I know there will be peacocks ... but if I do come across one unexpectedly I do not expect the peacock to take itself away just because I am there!!!!
Good post - like you with peacocks, I am not very keen on cattle, having been surrounded by a herd of bullocks in my parents field when I was younger. If it hadn't been for our wonderful old labrador, I think I would have been seriously injured, he distracted them and I managed to break out of the circle and make a run for it! However, I do not expect farmers to keep them out of fields with footpaths going through them on the offchance that I happen to walk through them.
Page 3 of 22 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 > Last »