Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pidge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 08:35 AM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
it still starts off as some alien interloper inside a stomach that gooes out as some ill formed squinted squashed mutant thingy....ewww, the thought of it makes me shudder.

and the whole notion of studding and mating...just why would you want to organise and then watch that!
You've been watching too much Ridley Scott.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

29-01-2011, 08:36 AM
i just dont get the whole breeding thing

im having enough trouble getting my head around the whole biology thing that my fiance is carrying a baby inside her stomach that is mine.....ewwww.

the thought of seeing all that gooey stuff and things popping out of orifices in the next few days is soiling my head...

......so as for going out of your way to have that all go on under your roof with a different species....just not right!

sure, give them to me when they can jump, shout, bite you and pull funny faces (babes and pups).
but not all that squinty squashed stumpy stuff, no thanx.
it still starts off as some alien interloper inside a stomach that gooes out as some ill formed squinted squashed mutant thingy....ewww, the thought of it makes me shudder.

and the whole notion of studding and mating...just why would you want to organise and then watch that!
Me thinks you have just come back from the pub

So your not going to be at the birth then!
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 09:18 AM
i just dont get the whole breeding thing

im having enough trouble getting my head around the whole biology thing that my fiance is carrying a baby inside her stomach that is mine.....ewwww.

the thought of seeing all that gooey stuff and things popping out of orifices in the next few days is soiling my head...

......so as for going out of your way to have that all go on under your roof with a different species....just not right!

sure, give them to me when they can jump, shout, bite you and pull funny faces (babes and pups).
but not all that squinty squashed stumpy stuff, no thanx.
LOL-----good luck with the next 20+ years then!

As an aside,(you probably don't want to know this). I am on standby for springer because the owners are having a home birth and the midwife has said the dog has to be out of the house (7mth springer). I asked why and apparently the only reason she gave was that she had let one stay once and it had eaten the placenta and that wasn't nice!

Maybe she thought it would give the dog blood lust.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Originally Posted by youngstevie View Post
I agree about flyball can get competive, and the dogs can get hyped.
However I do 'fun' flyball with Bruce, he loves it, but then he's very fast and loves to jump (show off)
I did try the more serious team flyball at first and I got alot of hassle from a particular Brummie Team for him to be a member as they said he was ''fast'' but when we went I found it all so 'demanding' and time consumming talk about dogs being competitive....wow they have nothing on the owners
I much prefer the 'just for abit of fun' one, they do not compete and it really is just for fun when you can manage it.
Honestly I have no real dislike of anything as long as the dog/s are not forced into it and enjoy doing it
Flyball is tremendously high adrenaline for a short time and causes some spectacular fall outs!

I loved it for the high I got and the men in our lot were pretty laid back.

rune
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 09:27 AM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
I dont really "get " people not wanting to do anything with their dogs,
My dogs are "pets" over the winter, long walks etc etc......im like nice but a few months is long enough, wouldnt want to be just walking, forever!

I love to watch them splash about in rivers, chase in fieldsetc......but if i ask 1 of them to work, they all stop chasing & want to work with me! even the retired ones.

I think its bcause i liketo be "involved" , like i cant chase with them or swim with them, only watch, & i dont like to be a spectator in my dogs life!

Im also competitive!
I am not hugely competitive---more so than Tassle though. She used to be so laid back in agility that I ended up giving her an allowance which included her entry fees (she still had to come to shows with me) and telling her she was now wasting her own money. That made her think about it a bit but you can't change someones character

I need a competition now and then to motivate me, something to aim at. The multisports is good because you are in competition with yourself. Demos aren't quite enough.

rune
bijou
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-01-2011, 09:41 AM
Don't like 'man work' - I know all about the theory that these dogs are very well trained and controlled but I just don't 'get' the need to prove their ability to intimidate a human ...is this a macho thing ?

dont really like HTM either - too much like Billy Smarts Circus for my taste

Don't really approve of shooting and the subsequent gun dog work - just don't get that whole thing of breeding birds just so that someone can blast them out of the sky and your dog can pick up their bodies

really like Agility and have done this in the past - also like obedience, showing and breeding

But I have to agree that as long as the dogs enjoy whatever hobby you do it really matters not one jot what anyone else thinks - the world would be a pretty boring place if we all liked the same thing !
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 09:54 AM
Originally Posted by bijou View Post
Don't like 'man work' - I know all about the theory that these dogs are very well trained and controlled but I just don't 'get' the need to prove their ability to intimidate a human ...is this a macho thing ?

dont really like HTM either - too much like Billy Smarts Circus for my taste

Don't really approve of shooting and the subsequent gun dog work - just don't get that whole thing of breeding birds just so that someone can blast them out of the sky and your dog can pick up their bodies

really like Agility and have done this in the past - also like obedience, showing and breeding

But I have to agree that as long as the dogs enjoy whatever hobby you do it really matters not one jot what anyone else thinks - the world would be a pretty boring place if we all liked the same thing !
I enjoy watching manwork (I regularly used to watch Lancashire Police dogs train when I lived down there) but of course that was for real, not sport. I suspect that there are more men in schutzhund than women, and that there will be some pretty big egos on show I also suspect that there will be an element of "macho" members with these sort of dogs. However, on the other hand, there is a massive amount of dedication and training that goes into these dogs and so would hope that the macho element is small compared to the more professional type of sports person. If that makes sense!

Regarding gun dog work, I too am not particularly a fan of breeding birds to be shot (and all the other stuff that goes with it) but do enjoy watching the gun dogs working and watching their instinct and training combined.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 12:58 PM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
I don't "get" obedience (and maybe some other things too), but live and let live and all that.

I don't "get"showing either, but what makes me dislike it is that it is deemed necessary to force the dog into an unnatural stance:

I also find it ridiculous that a dog with a relatively high hip score (above average) can be classed as a "champion" - and then given some kind of prestige to be bred from.
Had to answer this bit A dog can have a high hip score yet still move beautifully, if it has all the other credentials to take it to the top in the show world why should it be refused it's title? A bit like saying Miss World has everything, looks personality etc., but has a hole in the heart so don't give her the title Obviously if the dog is lame and can't move then whoever helped give it the title is questionable, but that goes on a lot...you scratch my back and I'll scratch yours...you have to accept it goes on in the show world, no doubt it goes on in a lot of other hobbies too.

Putting dogs into uncomfortable stances is impossible, unless you truss them up..no dog will stay put, no matter how well trained.

With regards to high scoring dogs being bred from that is a whole separate issue and splits the ethical breeders from those that are not. Showing isn't all about breeding, I've shown all of my dogs but haven't bred from them all
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-01-2011, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by muttzrule View Post
I have to say I agree with Tassle, I love to train but hate to compete. Its about the bonding experience more than anything. For me.
I'm 100% with both of you there! The training is fun, watching her get it is fun. Sure it might be fun to do a complete run someday, but the best part is the bonding, seeing her become a more confident dog and just having fun!

The place we train at is called "It's all about the dogs" and the trainer, who does compete, is all about having fun with the dogs and making sure no one gets injured.
MickB
Dogsey Senior
Male 

29-01-2011, 01:22 PM

I don't "get"showing either, but what makes me dislike it is that it is deemed necessary to force the dog into an unnatural stance
You've chosen to illustrate your point with a picture of the ONLY dog breed which is expected to stand in what might be called an "unnatural" stance. Most dogs are shown in a normal and natural four-square stance:

I also find it ridiculous that a dog with a relatively high hip score (above average) can be classed as a "champion" - and then given some kind of prestige to be bred from.
Most breeders, if looking for a stud dog will be influenced much more by the dog's health tests results than by his "champion status."

We show our dogs, do some informal obedience work with them and they act as very effective canine fundraisers for a variety of charities, but the activity I love most with my dogs is running them in harness. There is simply no other feeling in the world that compares with running a team of dogs at first light in the middle of a deserted forest - wonderful (and the bonus is, the dogs absolutely live for it!)

Mick
Page 7 of 24 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »