Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

14-08-2011, 04:54 PM

Owner putting there dog in danger !

My two went to the behaviourist today we are working on walking polietly on the lead and ignoring other dogs and concentrating on me.We were in a busy country park were dogs must be on a lead or under full control as ther are deer living in the park. We were halfway through my dogs were behaving and had done all id asked when a little pom came flying up to my calmer dog but she is also very nervous and will snap if she feels threated considering she was muzzled and on a short leash this could have been one of those times.the little pom attached its nose to cassies bottom and was relentless poor cas kept trying to sit down to stop the pom but it wasnt quitting this was winding my other dog up.The behaviour went on for a least two to three mins in the whole of this time myself and the behaviourist had no idea who this dog belong to. I was proud of cas she was not aggressive once but what annoyed me the most is when the owner finally arrived he was laughing and just didnt see what could happen if his dog had run up to a dog who was not muzzled and aggressive his little pom would not have stood a chance.He could see my dog muzzled on a leash and was very uncomfatable but he felt his dog had done no wrong when i confronted him. i really hope this owner wises up else his dog could be put in real danger sorry for a bit of a rant but it annoys me that other people cant respect other peolple may be training there dog and theres being out of control can be very detrimentle
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 05:13 PM
I would have been furious.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 06:31 PM
Can I ask why you and the behaviourist ALLOWED this behaviour to continue for 2 - 3 minutes?

I certainly would not have stood by and done nothing to stop it!
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 07:49 PM
If that happened to me, I would have just picked the pom up by the scruff to get it away.

I've picked a GSD up before now to get it away from my dog (granted, it was trying to attack Jess, and not being friendly though)
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Can I ask why you and the behaviourist ALLOWED this behaviour to continue for 2 - 3 minutes?

I certainly would not have stood by and done nothing to stop it!
That's just what I was wondering!

If it had been me in your situation this Pom would have got the pet corrector spray in its face and not been allowed to come near to my dog to annoy it
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 08:01 PM
Agree with SB - why did your trainer/behavourist let it continue
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 08:15 PM
With 2 of you there surely one of you could have blocked the pom?

I know what you mean about people though. The amount of times I've been left to struggle with Rupe and a strange dog while it's owners have just carried on walking is unbelieveable. If I hear "oh he's friendly!" one more time while I'm doing some sort of intricate dance to prevent Rupert from beating their dog to death with his muzzle I won't be responsible for my actions! People like this make working with a reactive dog extremely difficult.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2011, 08:47 PM
The other dog owner was bang out of order.

That said, I totally agree with those who have said they would have forced the Pom to leave.

If a dog comes up and bothers Dexter I will yell at it if necessary, or take it by the collar if safe to do so.

Again to echo others, I am surprised your dog trainer allowed the Pom to continue bothering your dog!
kat14778
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2011, 10:25 AM
only guessing but think she stayed clear as she was holding my slighty more reactive dog good points though you would have thought she would have done something. feel bad now that i let it continue think i did that due to her not reacting with aggression but as i said she looked uneasy i do tend to have a water spray or pet corrector on me but always forget at crucial times sb do you know any good trainers in leic are ive been on apdt site and emailed a few but they never reply
BangKaew
Dogsey Senior
Male 

15-08-2011, 10:51 AM
I know what you mean. One of my dogs loves meeting other dogs but the other one rarely tolerates a butt sniff!