View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 10:40 AM
the rspca do it aswell. One of my brothers staffs dogs got out and had to £90 each dog to get them back
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

11-08-2011, 10:52 AM
Apparently someone left the doors open and the dogs escaped. They did not have their collars on as they don't wear them indoors. My friend is unsure if the dogs are chipped but said she doubts it knowing her sister.
They are in Essex but I don't know where abouts.
I will let you know the outcome of this sad story.
I had no idea you had to pay so much to get your dogs back and am horrified to find they could be put to sleep.

My own dog is micro chipped and wears his collar all the time so hopefully I will never find myself in this situation.
pippam
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-08-2011, 10:57 AM
How devestating it must be to the owner to have found their dog only for it to pay an £80 fine plus the kennel fee or have it put to sleep surely the law she be more lightly.
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-08-2011, 12:50 AM
Just found out the woman has got her dogs back!

It all sounds very dodgy! Apparently the guy who owns the kennels kept lowering the fee and eventually let them have the dogs back for nothing? They were made to wait outside of the kennels. The dogs were extremely hungry and docile, tho I would imagine that to be normal after being away from home for a few days.

Anyway the dogs are safe!
Toddster
New Member!
Female 

15-08-2011, 06:44 AM
Really pleased the dogs are now safe, very lucky for them.
But whats going on with these pounds?
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 06:51 AM
I've been on alot of dogwarden sites/lost & found sites the last few weeks in the search for brook. There is always a clause in small printing somewhere on the site that states some dogs maybe pts at the end of 7 days....
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 07:02 AM
Many councils contract kennels to take in stray dogs.

Many do not.

Each council has its own system of fines for dog owners which can range widely; on top of this kennelling fees will be required (for the contracted kennels).

If after 7 days the dog is unclaimed the dog can be rehomed or put down.

The reason some people phone the dog warden rather than the owner(s) is often because the owner phone(s) are busy or because the dogs have "escaped" before.

A kennel that has been contracted to provide a kennelling service for stray dogs must meet certain criteria and provide shelter food and water.

I am not sure HOW you know the dog had no water during the day?

What do you do if you cannot get hold of the money for vet fees?

Also, if the dog is not wearing a legally compliant tag there can be another fine on top of that.

For those who object to this system, what would you suggest as an alternative bearing in mind that kennels cost money and so do dog wardens, perhaps you would prefer to pay higher council taxes?
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 07:05 AM
When we got Layton he came from a rescue that serves as the pound for the local area (so at least they get more than their 7 days - a thought I'm always greatful for because he's an ex-stray himself who'd been in there a couple of months when we nabbed him). Hubby was just doing the last of the paperwork when the girl on the desk took a phonecall from someone whose dog had got out and been picked up - and it was along the lines of "oh I know where he is - I'll wander along later this week when we get a minute"... followed by him being informed of the daily cost for holding him... followed by a gobful of abuse and the daily cost being repeated again... etc etc.
Rubster
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-08-2011, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Many councils contract kennels to take in stray dogs.

Many do not.

Each council has its own system of fines for dog owners which can range widely; on top of this kennelling fees will be required (for the contracted kennels).

If after 7 days the dog is unclaimed the dog can be rehomed or put down.

The reason some people phone the dog warden rather than the owner(s) is often because the owner phone(s) are busy or because the dogs have "escaped" before.

A kennel that has been contracted to provide a kennelling service for stray dogs must meet certain criteria and provide shelter food and water.

I am not sure HOW you know the dog had no water during the day?

What do you do if you cannot get hold of the money for vet fees?

Also, if the dog is not wearing a legally compliant tag there can be another fine on top of that.

For those who object to this system, what would you suggest as an alternative bearing in mind that kennels cost money and so do dog wardens, perhaps you would prefer to pay higher council taxes?

Good post!
Toddster
New Member!
Female 

15-08-2011, 08:08 AM
I think youre stating the obvious there smokey bear. Of course dogs who escape constantly are a total nuisance, cause a lot of worry and expense and their owners should be dealt with accordingly.
If you cant get hold of an owner if their phone is busy you damn well wait till its free! No -one wants to send a dog to the pound?? Do they?
Having worked in vet practice for many years I know first hand that in genuine cases financial arrangements are almost always made for the owners of sick animals. Either that or treatment at an animal charity.
Are you refering to my post about their being no food or water for dogs picked up and kept overnight?
It was admitted by staff and dogs excessively thirsty.
Yes I know dog wardens have to be paid, so do pounds and kennels I'm not disputing that. Wish I know the answer, obviously you dont either!
Still no excuse for threatening to pts peoples dogs in genuine cases where in this current climate particularly many are struggling to pay essential bills and cant put their hands on money immediately, glad these people got their dogs back, hope they dont escape again !
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >