Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Cachapman710
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2011, 11:25 AM

Could this be true?

A friend on a site I am not allowed to mention has said that her sisters dogs escaped from the family home. Someone managed to catch them and they have now ended up in kennels. The woman has to pay £168 before the end of the week or the dogs will be destroyed? The woman apparently does not have the money and was trying to rehome the dogs but obviously does not want them destroyed.
This is all the facts I have. I don't know the breed etc.

Does this seem true to you? My friend is in Essex and I believe her sister is too.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 12:14 PM
I believe some council pounds do PTS but a lot of others rehome them if the owners can't/won't pay the fee.

Some neighbours when I lived in a city on the south coast had a Staffy that was rarely walked, and mostly kept shut up in the house on its own (you could hear it barking). Poor thing must have been bored out of its mind, so as a result it became a bit of a Houdini....

That wouldn't have been much of an issue except that it was well known to be dog-aggressive, and also chased my next-door neighbour into her house several times, as well as throwing itself against my back door trying to get to Merlin (I thought the glass was going to smash!). Police and dog warden said report it as a stray, and it would be taken into kennels if found wandering in people's gardens - I don't need to add it wasn't chipped and never wore any kind of ID.

In the end it did get picked up as a stray, though not through me or my neighbours, and the owners couldn't or wouldn't find the release fee money, so after spending a few months in the council pound, it was rehomed to a much more responsible and suitable family.
WhichPets
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 12:40 PM
I'm not sure but I watched a program a while back on rescues where if your dog got lost, was unidentifiable and ended up in a pound and was not claimed within a week - then yes they would put your dog to sleep.

I am not sure whether it's all councils and could only be in certain circumstances. TV is not always the best place to get the full story. I really hope this dog ends up in a good home, or the owner can get the money together to keep the dog.
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 01:33 PM
Like has been said by the previous posters, I believe it varies from area to area. Birmingham do (or certainly used to) pts an unidentifiable dog if it is not claimed within 7 days.

A local family friend paid about £80 some 20 odd years ago to get her dog back after he escaped and got picked up by the dog warden so the price you mention doesn't seem far fetched at all.

Hope that she can raise or borrow the money
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 03:05 PM
If your dog strays you normally have to pay for the kennelling, yes. I`m assuming the dogs were not chipped?
Which area is it?
katygeorge
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 03:14 PM
phoebe knocked a fence panel out years ago and did a runner. The dog warden got her and phoned me and said i had to pay a £60 fine plus £12 a day for everyday she was in the kennel and they would hold her for 2 weeks and either pts or rspca would take her. I went and got her straight away but could be costly if you didnt or had more than one dog
taz_in_2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2011, 10:01 PM
If your dog ends up in the pounds here is £80 per dog to get them released so yeah I can see that being true, not sure about the PTS though maybe they could hold them ?
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 10:09 PM
Here too in Doncaster we have a 7day pound for strays / uncaimed dogs

Some of the local re-homing centres take some of the dogs and you can re-home from there but as for the majority
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2011, 10:26 PM
yer and could be a fine for not having id on the dogs collar
ATD x
Toddster
New Member!
Female 

11-08-2011, 07:38 AM
Sadly this is the third case like this I have heard of recently. One case owner would not even be told where the dogs were until they had paid the said amount. They were in a pound 30miles away. Ended up there because the finder rang the dog warden instead of the number on the tags on the collar. Both were chipped also. It was a genuine accident that the dogs got out but were picked up in an awful state in the pound having had no food and water. Owner complained to the council but I never heared the outcome.
Second on another forum, dog possibly stolen, handed in to pound who demanded an extortionate sum for his release and threatened to rehome the dog if said owner couldn't pay!! The dog was 11 years old!! Cant put on a public forum what I think of these people. WHAT do you do if you cant get hold of the money ? I know I couldn't get my hand on that much within a week... I hope your friend gets her dog back, awful to think of the alternative.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >