Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2010, 03:16 PM
Originally Posted by chaz View Post
Rant away bullylurchers, people like that make me sick, where is the RSPCA here? If not for his dogs, if for the fact that if people like him were dealt with the rescue situation would be better.
Dogs are fed/watered and have shelter.....RSPCA won't care.
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2010, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Dogs are fed/watered and have shelter.....RSPCA won't care.
Get the cameras round, they soon will its about time puppy farmers were stopped, if the pfs were stopped I'm sure that the strain on rescues would decrease, and the prisoners of the puppy farms would be no more, if only there was more power to stop them.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2010, 03:34 PM
I just looked on his website and wished i hadnt! There was about 5 of his older dogs i would love and they all looked so sad
bullylurchers
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-09-2010, 02:11 PM
I have actually been to his kennels as i went with my parents almost 9 years ago and bought my first lurcher when i was 13, i knew no different then, i went back last year just to look and he hadn't changed. The place is a disgrace yet he is licensed by the council. In experienced lurcher folk go to him for a collie based lurcher because he is the only known person doing this type of lurcher on a regular basis and people just cannot be bothered to wait for a well bred planned litter that have been bred for the breeders own use. Makes my blood boil it really does!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Originally Posted by bullylurchers View Post
I have actually been to his kennels as i went with my parents almost 9 years ago and bought my first lurcher when i was 13, i knew no different then, i went back last year just to look and he hadn't changed. The place is a disgrace yet he is licensed by the council. In experienced lurcher folk go to him for a collie based lurcher because he is the only known person doing this type of lurcher on a regular basis and people just cannot be bothered to wait for a well bred planned litter that have been bred for the breeders own use. Makes my blood boil it really does!
He certainly is a puppy farmer, it people who buy from him that make him breed more, he supplies the market and people buy from him! People complain about mass producers , then support them!!
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Hi

Definitely Saluki's. They have the most beautiful face and to see them run is just fantastic - poetry in motion. I am biased though as I own a Saluki, but also have a border collie and staffie x who are both gorgeous looking. All rescues.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2010, 07:55 PM
On looks alone it would have to be the sighthounds for me too - particularly Salukis and Pharaoh hounds. But I wouldn't be comfortable with their personality.

However I have always loved the look of old-style straight backed GSDs, and consideredg BCs as I knew I would only be happy with a dog I could enjoy training. But that's not truly "on looks alone".

So when I met my first Belgian Shepherds back in 1987 they took my breath away - some of the GSD looks but with some of the elegance of a sighhound. Had heard of the breed before but never met one or read much on them as they weren't very common then. I'd been asked to judge a novelty class at a very small charity dog show organised by some friends and a pair of Tervuerens were entered under me - gobsmacked deoesn't describe how I felt when I first saw & ran my hands over them!

When I did eventually read up on the breed (I contacted the BSDA who sent me a booklet), I discovered they were probably the ideal breed for me - the trainability and intelligence of GSDs and BCs, fun to train, very versatile and form strong bonds with their owners... but most of all, the beauty and the elegance I wanted.

I then spent 22 years waiting til I could have one!

Oddly enough, it was at that show, just before I saw the Tervs, that I met a Pharaoh Hound and was put off for life when I was told they really aren't the kind of dog you can do much training with! (Which was as high on my list as looks.... if not higher). But I still have a very VERY soft spot for Pharoahs especially, and all other sighthounds and lurchers.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2010, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
On looks alone it would have to be the sighthounds for me too - particularly Salukis and Pharaoh hounds. But I wouldn't be comfortable with their personality.

However I have always loved the look of old-style straight backed GSDs, and consideredg BCs as I knew I would only be happy with a dog I could enjoy training. But that's not truly "on looks alone".

So when I met my first Belgian Shepherds back in 1987 they took my breath away - some of the GSD looks but with some of the elegance of a sighhound. Had heard of the breed before but never met one or read much on them as they weren't very common then. I'd been asked to judge a novelty class at a very small charity dog show organised by some friends and a pair of Tervuerens were entered under me - gobsmacked deoesn't describe how I felt when I first saw & ran my hands over them!

When I did eventually read up on the breed (I contacted the BSDA who sent me a booklet), I discovered they were probably the ideal breed for me - the trainability and intelligence of GSDs and BCs, fun to train, very versatile and form strong bonds with their owners... but most of all, the beauty and the elegance I wanted.

I then spent 22 years waiting til I could have one!

Oddly enough, it was at that show, just before I saw the Tervs, that I met a Pharaoh Hound and was put off for life when I was told they really aren't the kind of dog you can do much training with! (Which was as high on my list as looks.... if not higher). But I still have a very VERY soft spot for Pharoahs especially, and all other sighthounds and lurchers.
Funnily enough, my OH (who has the Gronnies) is obesssed with salukis!
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2010, 09:25 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
Funnily enough, my OH (who has the Gronnies) is obesssed with salukis!
I can quite understand that Mish....

Belgians have a special combination of lithe elegance and athleticism that sighthounds have, but with much of the brain of a BC or GSD. Don't know if it's true..... but I once read there was some sighthound in them a long way back in their ancestry, which would explain it.

My perfect dog
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-09-2010, 09:51 PM
Boxers & Staffies every time for me, love their faces...
Page 12 of 13 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 >