Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
Ah right, I understand, you are being pre-judgemental Dawn! That's a bit unfair isn't it? I don't know Jodie I don't think, so am neutral on the subject, but how do you KNOW that she posted this thread in an attempt to cause aggro? You asked for proof of her doing so ... well, I am asking for proof from you that she is deliberately trying to stir up trouble. Fair do's !
No Im not, just read the threads and participation. Jodie saw fit to use the heading bolt guns and throw a picture of a dog that had NOT been shot with one to form an argument.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 09:09 AM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
Please note that I was agreeing to the fact they should not be used

I guess you could have the dog darted with a sedative - I had not thought about that.
sorry that was a general `you`, not a personal one.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 09:44 AM
Borderdawn - just out of a matter of interest, why wouldn't you let a captive bolt gun be used on your dogs? Is it coz it's better for you or better for the dogs? And what would you have used?
Just interested to hear from someone who is not against CBG's being used in certain circumstances
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
Borderdawn - just out of a matter of interest, why wouldn't you let a captive bolt gun be used on your dogs? Is it coz it's better for you or better for the dogs? And what would you have used?
Just interested to hear from someone who is not against CBG's being used in certain circumstances
Not Dawn, but will answer anyway.

Regards my dog, there is no need to use them on my dogs as they are very much socialized pets that go to vets and are amenable to anything that is done to them..so in such circumstances i would be against the use of them.

As has been said by some, in extreme circumstances there is a place for them.

I dont think Dawn, Myself or anyone who is against them being banned completey would condone the use of such a way to euthanize a dog if it was not the only option (or safest for the human).

Let me ask you a question, are you just against the use of them on dogs or does it extend to all animals that they are used on!!
maxine
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Gnasher View Post
I disagree totally about a bolt gun being "the kindest way to put your horse down" Jackbox. I had to have one of my horses put down, and I debated long and hard with the vet about the best method. He said absolutely without a doubt the injection method is the kindest and causes the least trauma to both horse and owner. However, in the case of injection, the carcase could not go to the local hunt kennels but had to be incinerated. I was not allowed to bury him in the fields (not that I wanted to). He explained that very occasionally the bolt did not cause instant death, and weighing up all the pros and cons, I decided on the injection.
I had a horse pts in 1999 and decided that a bullet was the only humane method, and not by a vet either. I had heard of vets sometimes needing 2 bullets as they don't do it often enough to be absolutely proficient. I rang a slaughter man who was very calm, confident and quiet. The horse was having his head stroked and knew nothing about it.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Originally Posted by maxine View Post
I had a horse pts in 1999 and decided that a bullet was the only humane method, and not by a vet either. I had heard of vets sometimes needing 2 bullets as they don't do it often enough to be absolutely proficient. I rang a slaughter man who was very calm, confident and quiet. The horse was having his head stroked and knew nothing about it.
I Agree completey,

I wonder if Gnasher has witnessed more than her own horse beign PTS , from both methods??

As I am interested to know how one can form a judgement , if one has not witnessed both methods??

Gnasher, can you explain why the injection is the kindest and less traumatic ( for the horse ) way to euthanize.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-08-2010, 10:10 AM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
Oh right because thats SOOOOO much better

No its not, the only difference is one is lawful and the other is not.

By the By I dont think that CBG should be used on dogs.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 10:15 AM
Hi Jackbox - thanks for your answer. Having never seen one being used and not being qualified to make such a judgement, I couldn't comment on whether they should be used in certain circumstances/animals or not.
I like to know all the facts before making an absolute judgement.
It's just that I wouldn't condone it at present because it seems that you don't have to be qualifed to use one and it could go wrong.
The very idea of it makes me feel sick, but that's just my feeling and it's not based on any proof that I have or don't have. Seeing as I would never want to see one being used..the only way I can find out about them is on the net.
I wouldn't choose it for my dogs but as you say, mine are used to being handled.
If someone could prove to me that it is absolutely the kindest way to PTS my beloved dogs then I would change my mind as I would want what's best for them every time.
However as I feel now, and having seen a couple of dogs PTS at the vets by injection and seen how peaceful they were then I'll stick to that method.
As for it being used on other animals...we're talking about dogs on this thread so I'll stick to that!
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-08-2010, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by zoe1969 View Post
If someone could prove to me that it is absolutely the kindest way to PTS my beloved dogs then I would change my mind as I would want what's best for them every time.
However as I feel now, and having seen a couple of dogs PTS at the vets by injection and seen how peaceful they were then

Nobody in their right mind would state its the kindest way to put a dog down and nobody is stating that.
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-08-2010, 10:36 AM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
(there is a greyhound alive today after a botched attempt)

The topic starter only stated it as a possibility.

Or if you are referring to another Greyhound could you give detials
Page 5 of 10 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »