Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
baranduin
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Hello all
I have seen a bolt gun used on my elderly cow and on sheep which were ill. Used by the trained operator death was instantaneous. They dropped instantly. When the old mare needed to be PTS we got the vet out and it was a much slower more traumatic process for her carers. i rather wished I had got the slaughter man out with his gun.
There is NO WAY a dog could survive a correctly placed bolt gun. The picture has to be showing an injury caused by something else.
As for PTS dogs by bolt gun I think there might be circumstances where it's use is justified but in the main the injection by a vet for an old or sick animal is the most peaceful for all concerned.
The kind of circumstances would be where the dog could not be handled safely and had to be put in a restraint perhaps.
Louise
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 10:48 AM
Originally Posted by baranduin View Post
Hello all
I have seen a bolt gun used on my elderly cow and on sheep which were ill. Used by the trained operator death was instantaneous. They dropped instantly. When the old mare needed to be PTS we got the vet out and it was a much slower more traumatic process for her carers. i rather wished I had got the slaughter man out with his gun.
There is NO WAY a dog could survive a correctly placed bolt gun. The picture has to be showing an injury caused by something else.
As for PTS dogs by bolt gun I think there might be circumstances where it's use is justified but in the main the injection by a vet for an old or sick animal is the most peaceful for all concerned.
The kind of circumstances would be where the dog could not be handled safely and had to be put in a restraint perhaps.
Louise
Good post and exactly what my feelings are too. This thread was posted to cause trouble and is based on NO truth at all. Id ask the thread be closed as its a deliberate attempt to cause trouble.
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Is there a law that prohibits untrained people to use captive bolt guns or are they supposed to be used by pros?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
No, it should nto be outlawed totally, Dawn has given examples of where it may be needed,

I dont like the thought of it being used on dogs in general, but in some cases it may be the quickest/kindest method!!

I have has a horse PTS with a bolt gun, and done by a professional, again its the kindest way to euthanize a horse.

Reading the vets report , there is no suggestion that that injury was inflicted by a bolt gun I`m confused about the tying together of the wanting the ban and the dogs injuries, sounds a like a bit of propaganda to me

I Have to agree with Dawn, if a bolt gun had been used on that dog, the injuries would have been far worse, and to be honest, cant see how the dog would have survived , with the force behind a shot from a bolt gun , it seems to me, those who are against GH racing and want the sport banned, have used this "suspect" piece of evidence as "shock value"!,to further their course, shame the vets report could not back it up with more than "major traumatic impact to the head " which could have been done by a hundred things!!!

Funny how its been interpreted to a "gun shot"

I have had dogs and horses with injuries like that, it looks to me like a wound from impaling its self on a sharp object.

I agree 100% that the indiscriminate destruction of these dogs should be controlled, if they need to be PTS then it should be done by a vet, not up someones fields !!
I disagree totally about a bolt gun being "the kindest way to put your horse down" Jackbox. I had to have one of my horses put down, and I debated long and hard with the vet about the best method. He said absolutely without a doubt the injection method is the kindest and causes the least trauma to both horse and owner. However, in the case of injection, the carcase could not go to the local hunt kennels but had to be incinerated. I was not allowed to bury him in the fields (not that I wanted to). He explained that very occasionally the bolt did not cause instant death, and weighing up all the pros and cons, I decided on the injection.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-08-2010, 08:47 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Jodie posted this thread in an attempt to cause aggro again, she does this a lot, and usually ONLY participates in such threads. In any case, once more, the case for the dog in that photo being shot with a captive bolt is flawed to say the least, not a chance, the Vet report says as much, yet its seen fit to "use" it to promote rubbish again.
Ah right, I understand, you are being pre-judgemental Dawn! That's a bit unfair isn't it? I don't know Jodie I don't think, so am neutral on the subject, but how do you KNOW that she posted this thread in an attempt to cause aggro? You asked for proof of her doing so ... well, I am asking for proof from you that she is deliberately trying to stir up trouble. Fair do's !
spot
Dogsey Veteran

18-08-2010, 09:17 PM
Evening, just a few more mins wont hurt Spot. Pleased your puter probs are sorted, damn tings, cant live with them, cant live without them!!

See thing is here, we are supposed to believe that this person handed these dogs in for rehoming, and KNOWINGLY gave them a dog that had been shot! That didnt work, MASSIVELY unlikely given where that hole is, AND that the trainer was stupid enough to give it to rescue knowing all this and knowing it would see a Vet and that they would be "exposed" like they are being.

There is ABSOLUTELY no proof at all whatsoever the dog has been shot with a captive bolt, none, yet the "rescue" sees fit to spout crap like this, see my point? Even says no evidence of any bone fragments in the wound, imagine that, a skull smashed with the captive bolt, yet no evidence of any of it!

Anyhow, re what Id consider ok circumstances. When a dog is not used to being handled, where restraint would cause more harm and distress to the animal that simply placing the bolt on its skull would. I have no issue with it being used in wild animals such as Deer etc.. same applies, handling causes more harm to the animal.

Mine are good thanks Spot, hope yours are too.
Bear with me mate I cant be on here long.

Im glad to hear you have changed your mind on it being OK to use these on dogs – lets face it they are very used to being handled.

This person also handed in dogs that were ill treated in other ways – why would she be bothered about one that had been shot? Pretty much knew that nothing would be done about it – or very little anyway!

Your right she is being exposed for cruelty and why shouldn’t she be? She allowed this dog to go to a vets with an untreated injury along with the others .
spot
Dogsey Veteran

18-08-2010, 09:22 PM
No, it should nto be outlawed totally, Dawn has given examples of where it may be needed,

I dont like the thought of it being used on dogs in general, but in some cases it may be the quickest/kindest method!!

I have has a horse PTS with a bolt gun, and done by a professional, again its the kindest way to euthanize a horse.

Reading the vets report , there is no suggestion that that injury was inflicted by a bolt gun I`m confused about the tying together of the wanting the ban and the dogs injuries, sounds a like a bit of propaganda to me

I Have to agree with Dawn, if a bolt gun had been used on that dog, the injuries would have been far worse, and to be honest, cant see how the dog would have survived , with the force behind a shot from a bolt gun , it seems to me, those who are against GH racing and want the sport banned, have used this "suspect" piece of evidence as "shock value"!,to further their course, shame the vets report could not back it up with more than "major traumatic impact to the head " which could have been done by a hundred things!!!

Funny how its been interpreted to a "gun shot"

I have had dogs and horses with injuries like that, it looks to me like a wound from impaling its self on a sharp object.

I agree 100% that the indiscriminate destruction of these dogs should be controlled, if they need to be PTS then it should be done by a vet, not up someones fields !!
Did you leave your dogs and horses untreated?

"major traumatic impact to the head " Racing greyhounds very have the chance to run into sharp objects unless at the track – most paddocks for running them are cleared of just such objects because they will cause injury. How would you not notice it and leave it to fester?

You don’t think the dog would of survived?

Remember this?

“A man out walking discovered his battered body on Fochriw Mountain in the Rhymney Valley. He heard whimpering and went to investigate. The sight that met him was horrific and is a sight that should never have happened. A greyhound was lying half-dead amongst the rubbish having shot in the head with a captive bolt pistol. Also, both of his ears had been hacked off so he could not be identified.

However, despite Rusty's heartbreaking injuries, he still wagged his tail at the man. A loving and sunny natured greyhound, Rusty could have been taken to a shelter and then adopted by the loving family he deserved. Instead, Rusty had to be put to sleep as a result of severe brain injury. He had been lying on the rubbish tip for at least 24 hours before he was discovered.”

Or was this just another load of rubbish made up by those who are against the indiscrimate killing of dogs?
spot
Dogsey Veteran

18-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Welcome back Spot, something take your interest? Dogsey holds none of it for you usually.

Youre right, I have no problem with a bolt gun being used in CERTAIN circumstances, but as YOU always boast, PROOF please, not just a "story."

Thanks.
Im glad to hear you have do NOW have a problem with it being used on dogs depending on circumstances

Anyhow, re what Id consider ok circumstances. When a dog is not used to being handled, where restraint would cause more harm and distress to the animal that simply placing the bolt on its skull would. I have no issue with it being used in wild animals such as Deer etc.. same applies, handling causes more harm to the animal.

Mine are good thanks Spot, hope yours are too.
So when an animal is used to being handled and is not stressed out by being handled it is not ok?

Jodie posted this thread in an attempt to cause aggro again, she does this a lot, and usually ONLY participates in such threads. In any case, once more, the case for the dog in that photo being shot with a captive bolt is flawed to say the least, not a chance, the Vet report says as much, yet its seen fit to "use" it to promote rubbish again.
Dawn you have now accused both Jodie and myself of only posting on threads that hold an interest for us. Unfortunately I do not have the time or capacity to post on threads that have no particular interest for me and Im not sure why I should do so just to please you, if the mods have a problem with it I am sure they will inform me of it. I didn’t know it was a rule that people had to post on more than one thread. Yes I love reading about other people’s dogs, training methods and I do read them but do not feel it necessary to respond to every one of them – you may have the time on your hands to do so but I and Im sure others do not.

Also to some of use the greyhound industry and its disposal methods are not rubbish or boring it would be nice if you could consider other people’s opinions as different to yours and not just insist that they are rubbish.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

18-08-2010, 09:32 PM

I agree, the thread should have had the word greyhound in place of dogs because thats what this thread is about, a bit of a back door entry

Yet again another greyhound and racing thread!!!

And a bit of exaggerated propaganda

Shame the vet could not have been more agreeable in his report for them.
But JB many of us think of greyhounds as dogs - not some sort of subspecies that should be in a separate category from ‘dogs’.

To some of us they are not stock or another species altogether – they are dogs! Greyhounds are dogs and they are used for racing why should they not be discussed on a forum for dog lovers?

Do you think every thread should have the breed of dog in its title then – would that be a way forward so that people who do not wish to hear about greyhounds can miss them out?
galty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-08-2010, 09:53 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Did you leave your dogs and horses untreated?

Remember this?

“ A greyhound was lying half-dead amongst the rubbish having shot in the head with a captive bolt pistol.

Or was this just another load of rubbish made up by those who are against the indiscrimate killing of dogs?
I know you and Jodie twist facts to suit, but the truth in this case was Rusty was shot with a NAIL GUN.

So this being a disscussion about Captive Bolt guns......

Try to stick to Topic
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »