View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jodie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-08-2010, 06:40 AM

Should Captive Bolt Guns be used on Dogs?

Journalist Nick Mays has written an excellent article for 'Your Dogs' magazine - questioning whether the use of bolt guns to destroy dogs is socially acceptable. A legal method whereby the slaughterer requires no formal training or a licence to own what is effectively a lethal and dangerous weapon.

A twelve month campaign by Many Tears Animal Rescue and German Shepherd Rescue following the destruction of 10 German Shepherd Dogs has forced the RSPCA to announce it is suspending the use of captive bolt guns.

Greytexploitations contributed to the article with an account of a greyhound that had sustained a traumatic injury following – to what we believe to be - a botched attempt to destroy with the use of a bolt gun.

Milton’s story

Last year on January 7th, Joanne Page – a professional trainer - attached to Henlow greyhound dog track, took four healthy greyhounds to a Hitchen vets to be destroyed. By sheer coincidence, volunteers from a local rescue were on the premises and upon hearing of the dogs’ impending destruction, pleaded with Ms Page to hand the dogs over for re-homing. Their pleas were ignored and the dogs were destroyed forthwith.

These innocent souls were later to be known as ‘The Hitchen Four’

On February 17th Ms Page was cautioned at local level and retained her license in order to continue training greyhounds in her ‘care’ for the gambling industry.

However, Ms Page was actively encouraged - through external pressure - to responsibly retire her dogs once they were no longer useful, by surrendering them to greyhound rescues.

As a result, a number of greyhounds -12 - were retired in quick succession and with them came a series of health issues which required thousands of pounds worth of veterinary treatment with two of the greyhounds needing emergency surgery.

Harrishill Flyer, a white and black male – who had been racing only two months previously and passed fit to race by the track vet - needed 38 teeth extracted and part of his jaw bone removed because of two untreated abscesses.

Mitch Who – a black male - was found to have severe dental neglect and needed 19 teeth removed.

But a third greyhound – Milton - upon examination revealed he had a small hole which went straight through his skull.

The vet’s report

'The canine carers had reported that he had suffered a number of nose bleeds. On examination it was discovered that he had an infected wound on his head. On closer inspection, we were horrified to find that under a flap of dying infected skin, there was a large hole through the dog's skull, exposing a cavity. The wound was flushed with sterile saline and this fluid together with blood and pus, started to pour from the dog's nostrils, confirming that the hole was in the frontal sinus that would normally communicate with the nasal passages. Thankfully the dog's cranial cavity, containing the brain, was not affected. The wound was clearly quite an old one as the skin around the hole had started to heal and there was infection present. The dog was sent for xrays to see if there was any further underlying damage, any boney fragments left in the cavity or any evidence of shot. None was found, the wound was again flushed and the skin edges stitched. The dog was prescribed antibiotics to control infection and painkillers to help with the discomfort. It is clear to me having examined and treated Milton that this injury was caused by a major traumatic impact to the head and would have been very painful and distressing to the dog. Thankfully he was treated successfully and made a full recovery from his injuries'

Milton has now been adopted and will spend the rest of his life in the safe and loving hands of his carer.

But what do you think - should this brutal method of destruction be regulated by the government or should it be outlawed totally?
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2010, 09:40 AM
Well I don't believe in the destruction of healthy and rehomable dogs so I am dead against the use of bolt guns or any other methods of putting a lovely dog down.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2010, 09:55 AM
disgracefull that poor poor fella

why on earth would a boltgun be used on something so docile as a lovely greyhound
spot
Dogsey Veteran

16-08-2010, 09:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
Journalist Nick Mays has written an excellent article for 'Your Dogs' magazine - questioning whether the use of bolt guns to destroy dogs is socially acceptable. A legal method whereby the slaughterer requires no formal training or a licence to own what is effectively a lethal and dangerous weapon.

A twelve month campaign by Many Tears Animal Rescue and German Shepherd Rescue following the destruction of 10 German Shepherd Dogs has forced the RSPCA to announce it is suspending the use of captive bolt guns.

Greytexploitations contributed to the article with an account of a greyhound that had sustained a traumatic injury following – to what we believe to be - a botched attempt to destroy with the use of a bolt gun.

Milton’s story

Last year on January 7th, Joanne Page – a professional trainer - attached to Henlow greyhound dog track, took four healthy greyhounds to a Hitchen vets to be destroyed. By sheer coincidence, volunteers from a local rescue were on the premises and upon hearing of the dogs’ impending destruction, pleaded with Ms Page to hand the dogs over for re-homing. Their pleas were ignored and the dogs were destroyed forthwith.

These innocent souls were later to be known as ‘The Hitchen Four’

On February 17th Ms Page was cautioned at local level and retained her license in order to continue training greyhounds in her ‘care’ for the gambling industry.However, Ms Page was actively encouraged - through external pressure - to responsibly retire her dogs once they were no longer useful, by surrendering them to greyhound rescues.

As a result, a number of greyhounds -12 - were retired in quick succession and with them came a series of health issues which required thousands of pounds worth of veterinary treatment with two of the greyhounds needing emergency surgery.
Harrishill Flyer, a white and black male – who had been racing only two months previously and passed fit to race by the track vet - needed 38 teeth extracted and part of his jaw bone removed because of two untreated abscesses.

Mitch Who – a black male - was found to have severe dental neglect and needed 19 teeth removed.

But a third greyhound – Milton - upon examination revealed he had a small hole which went straight through his skull.

The vet’s report

'The canine carers had reported that he had suffered a number of nose bleeds. On examination it was discovered that he had an infected wound on his head. On closer inspection, we were horrified to find that under a flap of dying infected skin, there was a large hole through the dog's skull, exposing a cavity. The wound was flushed with sterile saline and this fluid together with blood and pus, started to pour from the dog's nostrils, confirming that the hole was in the frontal sinus that would normally communicate with the nasal passages. Thankfully the dog's cranial cavity, containing the brain, was not affected. The wound was clearly quite an old one as the skin around the hole had started to heal and there was infection present. The dog was sent for xrays to see if there was any further underlying damage, any boney fragments left in the cavity or any evidence of shot. None was found, the wound was again flushed and the skin edges stitched. The dog was prescribed antibiotics to control infection and painkillers to help with the discomfort. It is clear to me having examined and treated Milton that this injury was caused by a major traumatic impact to the head and would have been very painful and distressing to the dog. Thankfully he was treated successfully and made a full recovery from his injuries'

Milton has now been adopted and will spend the rest of his life in the safe and loving hands of his carer.

But what do you think - should this brutal method of destruction be regulated by the government or should it be outlawed totally?
As usual there is nothing but a pittiful response by 'the powes that be' to this CRUELTY.

It must be time surely that this sort of thing was taken out of the controlling body, lets face it they are in no way about the dogs only about the money.

And once again there is no financial backup from those 'so called' caring owners, trainers etc. Run it and dump it as usual.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 09:36 PM
Can you post the PROOF that "Milton" was shot with a captive bolt please. Ive seen wounds like that when a dog ran into a fence and impaled its head, that survived too!
spot
Dogsey Veteran

16-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Can you post the PROOF that "Milton" was shot with a captive bolt please. Ive seen wounds like that when a dog ran into a fence and impaled its head, that survived too!
Why would that make a difference? You have stated before that you see nothing wrong with a bolt gun being used, so what does it matter to you?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Why would that make a difference? You have stated before that you see nothing wrong with a bolt gun being used, so what does it matter to you?
Welcome back Spot, something take your interest? Dogsey holds none of it for you usually.

Youre right, I have no problem with a bolt gun being used in CERTAIN circumstances, but as YOU always boast, PROOF please, not just a "story."

Thanks.
spot
Dogsey Veteran

16-08-2010, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Welcome back Spot, something take your interest? Dogsey holds none of it for you usually.

Youre right, I have no problem with a bolt gun being used in CERTAIN circumstances, but as YOU always boast, PROOF please, not just a "story."

Thanks.
Hiya hon – how ya doing? You naught thing I was going to bed but just saw your response so now I have to stay up another 10 mins!

No still got an interest but had computer problems – would you believe it both mine and the tuther alfs computers turned up there toes at the same time. I could use the laptop but for some reason it wouldnt let me on dogsey – thought I was banned for awhile! Fortunately I managed to get on to see this thread – uncanny or what? http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=130399

What are the circumstances that you have no problems with ok I know that you saw the Seaham thing as fine but what other places does this method have merit IYO?

Where the eck have I boasted? All I do is care about dogs being killed for being of no use any more - no more no less. You see dogs in a different way – each to his/her own.

I didnt post this thread – maybe you should contact the rescue involved and ask for a full vet report on the state of the dogs?

New job has also made its demands so g'night sleep good and I'll be back when I can and I'll sign the register as well.

Hope you and yours are all well
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-08-2010, 10:20 PM
Originally Posted by spot View Post
Hiya hon – how ya doing? You naught thing I was going to bed but just saw your response so now I have to stay up another 10 mins!

No still got an interest but had computer problems – would you believe it both mine and the tuther alfs computers turned up there toes at the same time. I could use the laptop but for some reason it wouldnt let me on dogsey – thought I was banned for awhile! Fortunately I managed to get on to see this thread – uncanny or what? http://www.dogsey.com/showthread.php?t=130399

What are the circumstances that you have no problems with ok I know that you saw the Seaham thing as fine but what other places does this method have merit IYO?

Where the eck have I boasted? All I do is care about dogs being killed for being of no use any more - no more no less. You see dogs in a different way – each to his/her own.

I didnt post this thread – maybe you should contact the rescue involved and ask for a full vet report on the state of the dogs?

New job has also made its demands so g'night sleep good and I'll be back when I can and I'll sign the register as well.

Hope you and yours are all well
Evening, just a few more mins wont hurt Spot. Pleased your puter probs are sorted, damn tings, cant live with them, cant live without them!!

See thing is here, we are supposed to believe that this person handed these dogs in for rehoming, and KNOWINGLY gave them a dog that had been shot! That didnt work, MASSIVELY unlikely given where that hole is, AND that the trainer was stupid enough to give it to rescue knowing all this and knowing it would see a Vet and that they would be "exposed" like they are being.

There is ABSOLUTELY no proof at all whatsoever the dog has been shot with a captive bolt, none, yet the "rescue" sees fit to spout crap like this, see my point? Even says no evidence of any bone fragments in the wound, imagine that, a skull smashed with the captive bolt, yet no evidence of any of it!

Anyhow, re what Id consider ok circumstances. When a dog is not used to being handled, where restraint would cause more harm and distress to the animal that simply placing the bolt on its skull would. I have no issue with it being used in wild animals such as Deer etc.. same applies, handling causes more harm to the animal.

Mine are good thanks Spot, hope yours are too.
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

17-08-2010, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by Jodie View Post
No, it should nto be outlawed totally, Dawn has given examples of where it may be needed,

I dont like the thought of it being used on dogs in general, but in some cases it may be the quickest/kindest method!!

I have has a horse PTS with a bolt gun, and done by a professional, again its the kindest way to euthanize a horse.

Reading the vets report , there is no suggestion that that injury was inflicted by a bolt gun I`m confused about the tying together of the wanting the ban and the dogs injuries, sounds a like a bit of propaganda to me

I Have to agree with Dawn, if a bolt gun had been used on that dog, the injuries would have been far worse, and to be honest, cant see how the dog would have survived , with the force behind a shot from a bolt gun , it seems to me, those who are against GH racing and want the sport banned, have used this "suspect" piece of evidence as "shock value"!,to further their course, shame the vets report could not back it up with more than "major traumatic impact to the head " which could have been done by a hundred things!!!

Funny how its been interpreted to a "gun shot"

I have had dogs and horses with injuries like that, it looks to me like a wound from impaling its self on a sharp object.

I agree 100% that the indiscriminate destruction of these dogs should be controlled, if they need to be PTS then it should be done by a vet, not up someones fields !!
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 > Last »