Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 04:34 PM

Just a Warning..

Probably no one else is as stupid as me, but i thought i'd warn people...

After 19 years with horses i have always known that you absolutely dont wrap the lead around your hand, and i've always thought the same about dogs, especially the big ones... And bearing in mind that i broke my right hand in a car crash so the bones aren't as strong means that i really shouldnt do it..

But on Sunday, me being dumb, i wrapped the lead around my hand several times whilst walking Riley. I was thinking that, as we're only walking for a couple of mins on the lead before he can be let off in the fields it'll be all right... Well, as you can imagine, with a 6stone+ gundog attached to my hand, a bunny runs right across the road infront of us and into the hedge... Riley immediately leapt forward and, well... ouch!!!

It wasn't Riley's fault, when i said no he stopped pulling straight away which is very very good for a gundog!! He could tell i was in a pain and looked so worried, he's been looking at me like its all his fault and looks so guilty, bless his little heart But... it does hurt!!! The bone has broken in the same place it did last time. Its still useable, but very carefully!!

The only thing my mum said was "well, at least its not your handling hand" We have shows this weekend and she'd be panicking if she had to handle!!!

But anyway... Just a warning, you could end up with a sore hand and a very upset doggy!!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

15-05-2007, 04:36 PM
Hope your hand feels better soon.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 04:40 PM
I had the skin taken off my hand a couple of weeks ago when Loki lurched and the lead went flying through my fingers ...
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 04:42 PM
Oooh I bet that hurt, hope it feels better soon x
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Oooh I know - regretably OH and I have both been there!!
I know that on the couple of occasions I have grabbed at her lead I should really have just let go - no harm would have been done!!
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 07:32 PM
hope your hands feeling better soon ,my mum ended up tearing ligaments in her hand by wrapping lead around it .
IanTaylor
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

15-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Ouch! ..... Better soon I hope
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 07:35 PM
Jessica - you're not the only stupid one I did the same a couple of years ago (broken hand before so it isn't the strongest, wrapped lunge line around hand, dog took off after rabbit = broken hand again ). However mine was still plated from when I broke it when I was younger, so even though the bone snapped - it healed without any intervention
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by RRmum View Post
I know that on the couple of occasions I have grabbed at her lead I should really have just let go - no harm would have been done!!
Unfortunately letting go of the lunge line wasn't an option for me - I'd much rather have a broken hand than have a Mal run off, lunge lines are now used on a walking belt

(However, last time I used a lunge line to do recall practice in a field one of mine wouldn't leave my side - I had to throw cocktail sausages around to get them to move away or put them in a sit and move away myself ).
RRmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

15-05-2007, 07:46 PM
I realy meant that no harm for me - obviously every situation is different and if you have to hang on then you have to hang on!! But from my experience much better if you know it is coming and then you can plant your feet and position accordingly!!
The times it has happened to me, I should really have let go of the line because Syds really could not/would not have gone anywhere but it is just instinct to hold on - much to my detriment!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >