Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DogLover4Life
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 05:32 PM

Quick opinion Question

So I went to show a family the new puppy, and I took Abby with us.. The little boy in the family FELL IN LOVE with Abby didn't even want to play with the puppy. I thought it was so cute. Well cool thing is Yes we wanted to keep Abby, But she can make this little boy happy I thought. Well we let Abby stay they night with them Because they boy asked if she could and I was told Abby didn't leave the boys side.. Which is unusual for Abby because she was so attached to certain people. Then my friend texted me saying that the lil boy and Abby fell asleep next to each other and I got to thinking...SHOULD I let the boy adopt her? I mean I just got her back.. ANd I love her so much.. but if its going to make him a Happy boy shouldn't I help by giving him the dog. The parents said if I don't want to of course I won't be expected to ... Can anyone give me advice?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 05:47 PM
honest opinion?..
i dont know your story,but,dont know how you could soz

i would never get a dog 'just for the kid' so i defo wouldnt give one of my beloved pets away because a kid liked her.
DogLover4Life
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 05:52 PM
The story behind Abby is that I rescued her, She was in the middle of the road and the owners never called to claim her till like 2 months later.. WHy ... I don't know either.. but then they took the dog back, then decided for some reason they didn't want her again and gave her back. Then now the little boy which is my friends cousin likes her. I do love her and I want her Happy, I really only want to do what God wants for this wonderful dog she deserves the best. And I have a soft heart and know when I was little I always loved animals. and when I didn't have one o boy did I want a friend. just a thought that runs through my head. This boy could use a friend too .. he has been through alot.
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 05:58 PM
I'm with Tupac..

If I rescued a dog - I certainly wouldn't give it up for a child - sure they love animals but then they grow up, get bored of the animal and ignore it - not really a happy ending for her is it?

The child may have been through a lot but I still wouldn't give up a dog I rescued, I looked after, I lost, then gained again - she's been through too much for another change. So IMO it is unfair to her.
DogLover4Life
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 06:03 PM
True true.. I see your point of views. This takes lots of thinking. Though I do agree with you guys. By the way. THo it doesnt change opinions there is also a Little girl there and a teenage girl as well as the two parents who love her. I might just let her stay the night time to time and or have some surprise visits. either way I will still get to help take care of her. PLus the mother said if they kids stop being responsible for her (since I told her I want the dog to be happy etc) that she would give her back to us instead of taking her to the shelter, etc. But Like I said I do see your point of views and will prolly just do visits with them etc
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

29-03-2011, 06:05 PM
I'm sorry, I wouldn't either.

It sounds like the dog has had a very unsettling time already. She needs a bit of stability, not passed from pillar to post.

If the child's parents are in a position to offer a dog a home, why not encourage them to take the little boy to a rescue, and let him choose his dog? (On the understanding obviously that they may well end up with the responsibility of looking after it.)
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 06:07 PM
Originally Posted by DogLover4Life View Post
True true.. I see your point of views. This takes lots of thinking. Though I do agree with you guys. By the way. THo it doesnt change opinions there is also a Little girl there and a teenage girl as well as the two parents who love her. I might just let her stay the night time to time and or have some surprise visits. either way I will still get to help take care of her. PLus the mother said if they kids stop being responsible for her (since I told her I want the dog to be happy etc) that she would give her back to us instead of taking her to the shelter, etc. But Like I said I do see your point of views and will prolly just do visits with them etc
Thats all well and good but it's no better than those pups who are passed from home to home - there is nothing that is the same.

I'd go with the visits, maybe you have a few dog walkers in your midst (when they are old enough).
DogLover4Life
Dogsey Junior
Female 

29-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Very true. very true. Thanks guys. Also Abby staying with us will probably be my boyfriends dads dog cuz he loves her and we all live in same house so it works like I said the other family I will just allow to see her from time to time and I shall mention the shelter to them. Thanks
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 06:08 PM
Yep, sorry I am with everyone else, its not fair on the dog to keep choping and changing homes.
There are plenty of dogs out there who havent got a home they could maybe give one of them a home.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-03-2011, 06:09 PM
No. Dogs are for life not for surprise presents.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >