View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2005, 01:04 PM
She is advertising in peace on the adverts board....this thread was moved here to debate.There are now 2 completely different threads!
CBT
Dogsey Senior

30-01-2005, 01:11 PM
I didnt realise that, maybe the title should be changed then?

Staffs are a popular breed of dog, What we should be doing is campaigning breeders to breed better, fitter, healthier staffs, so if that means stopping breeding some of the strains on the go at the moment which carry health problems, then I am all for that, but if this is just another of those anti breeding debates in a thinly guised veil then Im not interested in commenting further as I am pro breeding and all for the individuals right to choose.

Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

30-01-2005, 04:55 PM
CBT, you say that perhaps we should becampaigning breeders to breed better, fitter and healthier Staffs.

Thats exacatly what I have been trying to do.

I have only a general interest in Staffordshire Bull Terriers, but I believe that every breed should be bred with health and soundness as the main priority. Although I am pro KC registration, because I show my own dogs (not Staffords). I have not promoted KC registration for any other reason than health testing. I would go so far as to say that people that do not, or cannot carry out KC/BVA health testing, are akin to backyard breeders, the sort that get all breeders tarred with the same brush in the media.

I'm certainly not anti-breeding either.

I believe that if any person wishes to breed dogs of any breed, they should do so by obtaining the very best possible bitch they can afford, from a breeder that has proven themselves.

The potential breeder should make the breeder aware that they wish to breed from this bitch if the future if health screening and development of the puppy proves worthy.

Contact with the breeder should be maintained, so that a high degree of knowledge can be gleaned from the mentor, and advice can be sought when neccessary.

The bitches breeder should be consulted on the best, most suitable stud available for the bitch, depending upon her breeding and conformation.

This all takes many years of apprenticeship, why are people in such a rush these days to be a breeder, when they haven't taken this time to learn about the breed from somebody that knows.

Just incase anybody is wondering I have bred one litter in thirty years because I never before had a bitch good enough to breed from. You see very few bitches are worth breeding from, most, have too many faults, and being a 'forever home' I keep all the puppies I ever buy,till they die.

So as long as the individuals choose to do things using 'best practice' then I have no gripe.

Dawn R.
minty
Dogsey Senior
Male 

30-01-2005, 05:21 PM
I for one am advocating responsible breeding of staffords and that means all the proper health checks including DNA profiling ,also that people breeding should take ultimate responsibility for the pups they have produced ,i would even like to see a scheme brought in like what the irish kennel club is making dog breeders do and that is microchip the pups before they are sold which means dogs could be traced back to their owners in case they have been lost ,stolen or simply dumped on the street .
There is that many staffords being produced as i have stated earlier that thousands of staffords are ending in rescue every year and no breeders seem to be taking responsibility for these it is left to charities to try and sort that mess out.
It also means that with staffords being produced in these numbers the dangers of them falling into the wrong hands are a certainty whitch means the bite statistics will go up with all the bad press to follow and that will mean a reinforcing of BSL and more use of bsl
katyb
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2005, 05:25 PM
i think the micro chipping all pups before they are sold would be an excellent idea if it could be enforced for all breeds. obviousley all the byb;s wouldnt do it but if it was law that a dog was micro chipped then surely it would be for the best
staffysmum
Dogsey Junior

30-01-2005, 05:44 PM
if you read all the messages i posted my pups might not be k.c but unlike most breeders for any reason wot so ever ill ness or aggression i would buy the dog back even if i had to pay for it to be destroyed so you see i am responsable more responsable than most k.c breeders i dont think the puppy purchaser should suffer or the dog(S)
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Thats very responsible of you but the emphasis should be put on preventing these things in the first place and there are certain health tests(and I don't mean for just staffs) that can only be carried out on KC reg dogs.
It is also easier to trace health issues in KC reg dogs ancestries...in fact it is impossible in non KC dogs.By doing this certain lines can stop being used and can aid in eliminating certain problems such as epilepsy
Lel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2005, 05:53 PM
i am responsable more responsable than most k.c breeders
how can you say that? I am curious................

How are you more responsible that MOST Kc Breeders ?
And how do you KNOW this?
crazycockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-01-2005, 06:18 PM
I'm a responsible KC Breeder, what makes you better than me??

All my dogs are KC registered, all have the full health checks required of my breed, I can trace all my dogs ancestors back to at least 7 generations (possibly more as I have 3 generations here)...........I know which lines to avoid when it comes to finding a suitable stud for my girls.........

Can you do that??
mr.leo
Dogsey Senior

30-01-2005, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by Nursey
Hip scoring CANNOT be done on unregistered dogs, because to record the results
As far as i know you can have it done privately your just employing the same panel as you would if the dog was KC registered. As you know the scores will not be registered with the KC.

Originally Posted by crazycockers
All my dogs are KC registered, all have the full health checks required of my breed, I can trace all my dogs ancestors back to at least 7 generations...........I know which lines to avoid when it comes to finding a suitable stud for my girls
Unfortunately not all breeders are like you CC
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 24 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 > Last »