View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 09:35 PM
A study by the American Veterinary Medical Association in 2000 showed that 17% of fatal dog attacks on humans between 1979 and 1998 were from dogs that were restrained on their property by tethers at the time of the attack, and many of the victims were children.
so 83% weren't?

So why are chained dogs more likely to bite, and why are the incidences of these attacks becoming so common?
Be good to see some meaningful figures.

Tethered dogs have a greater tendency to respond aggressively to an approaching person (even if it's someone the dog knows), yet owners often seem unaware that continual confinement can cause immense frustration, which leads to increased reactivity or desire to chase and bite a person.
Any continual confinement would be detrimental surely? Why would a dog view a tether any differently than a crate or run?

Certain dogs are particularly territorial, becoming protective over space or property and putting anything approaching their territory at risk.
True of any dog tethered or not?

Dogs tethered in yards with no fences are much more accessible to the public, including children who often can't resist touching or sometimes teasing a dog.
& Get to see & get used to the public too maybe?

Dog in question is on private property so unrestricted access & morons shouldn't be an issue.

Unable to increase the distance between itself and an approaching stranger, the dog has no option but to fight.
Wouldn't it depend on the length of the tether? Should we stop using leads?

Tethered dogs are also at the mercy of other animals that may wander onto their territory and are at risk of getting tangled in their tethers and being injured.
Depends on the animal that wanders into the territory? Untethered dogs could be at equal risk. An animal used to a tether is usually pretty good at not getting tangled. At least it's not at risk of escaping onto a road if someone leaves a gate open - or the fence falls down.

Devils advocate.
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
Well said, I find it very sad that grown people find backing anyone into a corner in during a discussion acceptable.

I personally have no problem with dogs being kept outside (chained or kennelled) just so long as the dogs needs are met appropriately. I think some people do get carried away with seeing dogs as small, furry, children. They're not, they're dogs.
Excellent post!
Chunky
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2012, 06:00 AM
I have absolutely no issues with dogs being kept outside or on chains if they are well exercised, and have access at all times to shelter and water. We have 12 outside at present (gundogs) and just 3 (dachshunds) indoors. The dogs outside are as loving, giving eager to please and loyal as the ones inside. It is my husband who works them and you only have to see the look of adoration on their faces when they are worked to know that this is the case.

As a groomer in the country I see a variety of dogs pets that are kept indoors, pets that are spoilt beyond belief, pets that are kept outdoors, pets that are kept indoors and out (sometimes unintentially lol). I also see working dogs that are kept inside and out. I think it has everything to do with how their other needs are met not necessarily where they are kept. I have dogs (even ones that are in every 6 weeks or so) that are never brushed, have inch thick poo stuck to their backside and still sleep on the owners bed and are a complete nightmare to do have absolutely no manners whatsover and likely to bite. Likewise I get kennelled/chained dogs that are well brushed out, confident well behaved calm dogs that are in once a year. And of course I get the complete opposite of this.

I just don't think you can judge in a sweeping statement what is right and what is wrong. It is about each individual case
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 08:21 AM
I think if the dog is getting enough interaction, exercise and attention then there is nothing wrong with a dog living outside if they are ok with it and have suitable shelter.

Teg was kept in a tiny kennel and run for 3.5 years before I had him, he wasn't walked and the only interaction he got was from me going round or when he was fed or cleaned out (although cleaning out didn't happen often).
He loves being with people and hated being in the run so his situation was totally unsuitable.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Sosha View Post
so 83% weren't?

Be good to see some meaningful figures.

Any continual confinement would be detrimental surely? Why would a dog view a tether any differently than a crate or run?

True of any dog tethered or not?

& Get to see & get used to the public too maybe?

Dog in question is on private property so unrestricted access & morons shouldn't be an issue.

Wouldn't it depend on the length of the tether? Should we stop using leads?

Depends on the animal that wanders into the territory? Untethered dogs could be at equal risk. An animal used to a tether is usually pretty good at not getting tangled. At least it's not at risk of escaping onto a road if someone leaves a gate open - or the fence falls down.

Devils advocate.
Yes, there are two sides to every story.
x-clo-x
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the replies. I would just like to point out that if this dog was chained constantly with no interaction, no decent shelter, food or exercise then of course I wouldn't stick up for her and her dog.

But like I said in the original post, the dog is out with the owners, walked every day, goes on rides out with them ad Ben comes to a couple of the horse shows. She's well looked after and happy. I'd get some pictures, but don't fancy being shot down yet again.
chaospony
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-07-2012, 12:43 PM
I see no problem with how this dog is kept. It is a loved dog that has all its needs met. Most of the dogs here live outside, some get locked into a shed over night but many are just left to roam, which does put them in danger of cars and of attacking livestock in my opinion, but this is how people here have kept their dogs for years and they seem to have happy healthy calm dogs that do just stick around the yards.
Ours sleep in the house, are out in the stable during the day if they are not with us and they seem happier than always being locked in the house.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 01:54 PM
I don`t think dogs are children. I think humans shouldn`t kid themselves they have the `right` to cause them distress. Chaining a dog is simply lazy.
Dogs in other coutries may be chained a barrel in a field for their whole lives. It would be nice to be able to say British people have more respect for animals. Obviously that is not the case. I`m deeply disappointed.
marley123
Dogsey Senior
Male 

07-07-2012, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by ClaireandDaisy View Post
I don`t think dogs are children. I think humans shouldn`t kid themselves they have the `right` to cause them distress. Chaining a dog is simply lazy.
Dogs in other coutries may be chained a barrel in a field for their whole lives. It would be nice to be able to say British people have more respect for animals. Obviously that is not the case. I`m deeply disappointed.
how do you know being chained up distresses this dog ?
and how it it disrespectful ?
and a ask again how is it any different than keeping a dog in a kennel? the dog may have much more room on a chain than if it was in a run
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-07-2012, 02:06 PM
Originally Posted by marley123 View Post
how do you know being chained up distresses this dog ?
and how it it disrespectful ?
and a ask again how is it any different than keeping a dog in a kennel? the dog may have much more room on a chain than if it was in a run
If it could be proved it never gets distressed and has more room than a dog in a purpose built enclosure I will happily eat my hat.
Page 13 of 50 « First < 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 > Last »