View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 11:15 PM
It will mean that individual dogs that may happen to be 3/4 cms out of the standard dont get disguarded because they are too big, it will mean less emphasis on colour looks, more on temp and working abilities!
BorderCollieLvr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 11:22 PM
I think the breed standards are perfect for the show ring to give a idea of what the breed should like, so u dont get a gsd for instance with small feet and short tail. But as for breeders who breed, i think the main thing is a happy healthy puppy that ends up in a loving home. The parents obviously should at least look like the breed and if they are shown be somewhat to the standard, as to people who buy pups for showing they take the chance as to wether it will be to the breed standard or not and if it isnt then it should still be a loved member of the family. Obviously dogs nearer to the breed standard are going to win in the show ring but it doesnt mean there any better the a dog thats a few inches over the standard. It would be nice to think Eva is to her breed standard and she will at least get one place in a show but she might she might not and i love her all the same. I think the breed standards are fine as they are and are meant for the showring and that should be it.
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 11:29 PM
Gems dogs that much over the breed standard have done and do get placed at dog shows .Why do you belive they all get disguarded will you throw TJ away if he doesnt' do well? I haven't thrown my Working sheepdogs away because they can't be shown in fact I rescued them, my large girl lives with me and will till the rainbow bridge beckons .What do you mean by disguarded rehomed to a retirement home ? or put into rescue. If someone is going to get rid of there dogs they will anyway whether theres a breed standard for them or not. and I know of no standard that doesnt require a good temprement. As I said before the standard is more than physical attributes.

Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 11:30 PM
Ok gill, im not ignoring this but i will reply in the morning
BorderCollieLvr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 11:32 PM
I agree alot of show dogs could no way be used for the purpose they are bred for, alot would die of heart attack and some of the hunting breeds would be eaten by what they are hunting. I got to give it to breeders who both work and show a good all rounder you cant beat.
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-08-2005, 11:35 PM
if you push a breed to far and only breed with the champs etc you will reduce the gene pool for the breed and then risk health problems and in breeding within that breed.plus each judge has their own idea of what the standard for the breed should be and like their own type within the breed and will place the dogs in their opinion.
standards are for showing nothing more or less a dogs health,nature etc should be more important not if the dog carrys the tail the right way or gait correctly.
standards are there as a guide line for a breed but not set in stone for any breed.
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-08-2005, 11:36 PM
Sleep tight

leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-08-2005, 11:51 PM
the standard does include the dogs nature if a dog was shy or nervous in the ring it would go against the dog as it is showing that the dog is too shy for the breed standards.
a dog should be calm and confident enough for a stranger the judge to go over it physical with regards to the standard.
plus regardless of the physical standards that a breed should be a steady and good natured dogs should only be used for breeding.
you could have a uk champ in the breed that conforms to the standards but it could be the nasty dog in the same breed as well i wouldn't use it for breeding.
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 12:13 AM
Are breed standards just for showing ? What makes a breed a breed then? Gait isnt that important for working ability aswell as showing ? As you say breed standards are open to interpretation anyway so there are a range of dogs within the breed that are considered to fall within the standards do they really need to be less strict?

OOOPs LOL
willowish
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-08-2005, 12:21 AM
Isn't one of the first things people do when they set out to create a new breed is write down some kind of description of the kind of dog they are aiming for and then go on to breed only from the dogs they think most fit that description in the hope of fixing the charateristics they are looking for. Isn't that the initial reason for a breed standard?

Page 6 of 24 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 > Last »