Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Originally Posted by Indie85 View Post
Ive just got through reading all the posts.

And to be fair, I cant see how refunding £250 will stop people breeding. After all, if they are irresponsible owners who wont get the endorsements lifted by doing the correct health tests and whatever else is required, then what is £250 to that owner?

If you see this from the point of view of the owner who wants to make a profit from breeding said dog, then to them, £250 is nothing if they plan on selling each puppy for £700. I really cant see how it will stop irresponsible breeding of dogs.

Yes, it might provide some incentive to some of the owners to get their dogs neutered, microchipped and insured etc, but I can only see that being useful for those who struggle with money and would find that kind of pay back useful.

Maybe my way of looking at it is backwards, but to be honest, if i was an irresponsible owner who bought a puppy with endorsements and wanted to make a quick buck from breeding, then the £250 means nothing.

I know breeders cant always be certain of who they sell to, but hopefully you get it right most of the time and get owners who are aware of the ongoing costs of owning a dog, and IMO, some of those fundamental costs are insuring, microchipping, vaccinations and neutering. Its something new owners should be better educated about, and made aware of by the breeder if need be so that they understand that the price of the puppy is the first hurdle, and they should consider putting money aside each month to pay for these things that need to be done at a later date.

If they cant afford those things, then they should not buy a puppy. The breeder shouldnt have to refund the money to the owner. If the owner can't put money aside for those things, then whats to say they will bother to take it to training, take it to the vet etc. How far do you want to go with 'positively reinforcing' owners to take the right step?
we do not live in an ideal world.

....its called an incentive and a little push in the right direction....its not that they are always too skint to do the things,it just reminds them and gives them a push to hopefully do the right thing.

i am meaning more of the 'pet dog' rather than one bought for the intention of breeding and making money from.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2010, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Tassle View Post
As an Aside - she has a discounted price for people she knows are going to work the dogs - which is a different twist on it I guess......what do you think of that?
Personally I dont understand that, doesnt make her a bad breeders in my eyes though. Just the same as we dont ask more or less if you are intrested in showing a pup from here if its good enough..

To me it says you dont trust them, because you are telling them that if its done they will gain something from it.. You cant just trust them to get it done of their own back, because you asked.. You feel you need to give something to make sure they do... Like I said not saying it wouldnt/couldnt work..just not for me (who will probs never be a breeder so doesnt make a difference to me)!.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2010, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Personally I dont understand that, doesnt make her a bad breeders in my eyes though. Just the same as we dont ask more or less if you are intrested in showing a pup from here if its good enough..

To me it says you dont trust them, because you are telling them that if its done they will gain something from it.. You cant just trust them to get it done of their own back, because you asked.. You feel you need to give something to make sure they do... Like I said not saying it wouldnt/couldnt work..just not for me (who will probs never be a breeder so doesnt make a difference to me)!.
No, fair enough - I would be willing to do anything I could - and if that included refunding when the dog was neutered (or even paying for it to be done) - I would do it.
I would also see it a the breeders way of saying that they are still very invested in the pup.
Indie85
Dogsey Junior
Female 

23-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
we do not live in an ideal world.

....its called an incentive and a little push in the right direction....its not that they are always too skint to do the things,it just reminds them and gives them a push to hopefully do the right thing.

i am meaning more of the 'pet dog' rather than one bought for the intention of breeding and making money from.
Ah ok, it makes more sense as incentive to a pet dog owner, and not someone who wants to breed.

But still, i dont think people should have to be 'nudged' in the right direction. If they cant be responsible enough to do it off their own back, they shouldnt own a dog. But of course, we cant stop people buying a puppy from somewhere.

But yet, I suppose a bribe would at least get the ball rolling. And if all breeders did it, i can see the benefits. But why should the breeder be out of pocket? As others have said, many breeders already run at a loss.

I guess its catch 22. You either do the refund and give owners the push to do the righ thing and breeders make a loss. Or the breeders add the extra to the price of the puppy and refund it after, but that might cause owners to go to PF or BYB instead.

Meh.
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2010, 06:51 PM
not their responsibility! yours!

..at the end of the day the only money is the only thing that ties you to the pups you have bred...then they are not yours anymore..... so if it can help the number of dogs bred and the quality too....dont see the prob!! money is money lives are lives imo.
Does the breeders of your dogs do what you would expect of them? Do you consider you bought from breeders who have the breeds welfare at heat and breed responsibly?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-10-2010, 06:55 PM
I'm not a breeder and never will be but I don't get the thing with the refund at all. If I buy a pup it's up to me to do what I consider to be in the pups best interest, regardless of whether the breeder thinks it's a good idea or not. It's my decision to have them chipped, insured or not and neutered or not, I have to live with the dog and all the decisions I make for that dog. If the breeder doesn't trust me to have the pups best interest at heart they simply shouldn't sell it to me. No amount of cash would sway my decisions where my dogs are concerned and to be honest that refund thing would most likely make me look for a different breeder.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Does the breeders of your dogs do what you would expect of them? Do you consider you bought from breeders who have the breeds welfare at heat and breed responsibly?
lol your talking the breeder of two of my dogs( have 9)... of only one i paid for.......what has that got to do with what im saying? im talking if i was to ever breed again(which i doubt) i would consider adding it into the contracts.

you have to get the dig in dont you?
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2010, 07:04 PM
lol your talking the breeder of two of my dogs( have 9)... of only one i paid for.......what has that got to do with what im saying? im talking if i was to ever breed again(which i doubt) i would consider adding it into the contracts.

Every time and every thread---nice to be so predictable.

rune
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2010, 07:27 PM

Not digging, just VERY interested in why you would put forward everything that SHOULD be done, and how money should be put aside etc.. yet you purchased from a breeder who mass produces for money. Im interested in why you with all your experience why would do that? Im also interested in if the breeder/s did anything which you consider to be responsible, and what you would expect of them?
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2010, 07:28 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Every time and every thread---nice to be so predictable.

rune
Wind your neck in dear, I am entitled to ask questions, as you are and everyone else is. I dont support puppy farmers, Im interested as to the condemnation of breeders by people who do, stinks to me.
Page 7 of 23 « First < 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 > Last »