Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 12:00 PM

DULUX & Old English Sheepdogs

Has anyone seen the new Dulux TV advert? *They are using Old English Sheepdogs again to celebrate their 50 year anniversary . Hope it doesn't shoot the breed to over population again.*

They are beautiful dogs with lots of character but the coat can be a nightmare. *

My sister rescued them for years.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 12:04 PM
we had a rescue when I was about 12 - he was on older chap called Ice..One amazing dog, sooo cheeky!
I saw the advert last night, I to hope it doesnt affect them impulse buys.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 12:04 PM
Oh I haven't seen the advert yet but I love those dogs

Henry has a friend that we meet occasionally, she is about 17 months old now, she is huge, much bigger than Hen and so bouncy, they adore each other but we have to be careful as she ran into my knee and knocked me over, it hurt so much and I dread to think what she would do if she ran into Hen like that

Last time I saw her she was going in to be trimmed, her hair was pretty horrendous, she was spayed at 12 months and they said they couldn't cope with the constant grooming.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 12:06 PM
I remember seeing one of the owners of one of these dogs used in these adverts many years ago being interviewed telling the presenter that the dogs slept by their bed and they interrupted any scratching in case their coat got damaged!

I think they look lovely but as I am not exactly "Hairdresser of the Year" I would not have one and I feel it is totally pointless to have a dog with such a coat, if you are just going to trim it all off!

I would love to know if the dog was ACTUALLY running on a beach or not, as I have a feeling that the sand and sea in that coat would probably put the owner into an institution!

love the ad, not met many of them, there are a couple in Working Trials.
Murf
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-04-2011, 12:30 PM
Is the coat the same as it always was?
Was it bred like that ??
Dooley
Dogsey Junior
Female 

12-04-2011, 12:33 PM
i have a cousin that has one , beautiful dog but we`re sold to him as a mismark she`s actually brown and white, he seems to have no problem with her grooming she always looks imaculate she`s just over two years old now and i will confess in the warm months he does clip her down , she tends to get very messy we`re there just the other day and she`d actually pulled up his freshly planted flowers and got herself covered in wet dirt [would have been enough to give me a breakdown] he just laughed it off though and said he'd chuck her in the bath later or just wipe her down like everyone says you don`t see many around now seen the ad last night and hope it don`t start a craze as they are lovely , lovely silly crazy bouncy dogs , that are definately not for everyone.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by Murf View Post
Is the coat the same as it always was?
Was it bred like that ??
Yep to both questions

If i had one, which i wouldn't - those coats shed, not hair like other dogs - its like clumps of wool! I would keep the coat short, not clipped (shorn) right down but short which is how my sister kept hers. To keep that beautiful long flowing coat takes many hours work & the matts/tatts can be horrendous.

My sister took a bitch on at 10 months who had already had 4 homes The pup couldnt settle, she was always waiting to be "moved" on again. My sister said she woukd make sure that never happened again & kept the pup herself. She grew very big - bigger than standard & loved nothing more than clambouring onto my knee when i visited.

As a breed they are personality plus dogs & very loveable but i prefer nice smooth clean cut coats like Boxers! Its a coat you need to work with constantly to keep it flowing, long & glamourous looking . Sadly people are motivated by the pretty dog look never giving a thought to the amoint of care the dog & its coat needs
lotsforus
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2011, 01:05 PM
I grew up with one. They are great dogs our was always kept with a short coat he was naughty from what I remember and would always steal food. I will see if I can find pics of him
HollyG1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-04-2011, 01:16 PM
Oh jeez, looks like another boom maybe on the way, does anyone know what started the SBT one?
I'd love an OES but i know i can't give it the exercise, grooming or good nutrition it needs so i'm steering clear until i win the lottery lol
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2011, 01:31 PM
Love the advert. I, too, would hope that the general public would have more sense than to buy an OES pup simply due to an advert ... but you can never tell with some people Still love the ad though
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >