Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 10:11 AM

Raw feeding and interactive toys

I was just thinking that I may consider putting Cain on raw. Because I will be working, I have spent a lot of money on interactive toys (Buster cube, Tug a Jug, Dog Pyramid, Kong etc). I was planning to put his kibble breakfast in them every morning to keep him occupied until the dog walker comes in at midday. I was thinking that if I switch him to raw then I can't do this as even chopped up raw meat would stick to the inside of the toys and not fall out.

Am I right in assuming that raw fed dogs should be supervised when they eat too? I'd worried that when I'm on an early shift, I may not have time to walk him, play with him but then also hang around long enough to watch him eat his breakfast as raw takes longer (especially as he needs a space between exercisee and eating).

Do any raw feeders use interactive toys? If so what do you stuff them with?
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 10:16 AM
I stuff kongs with mince and then freeze them. (When starting off though don't freeze it until he gets the hang of it). It lasts for a fair while and is surprisingly clean (the kong inside I mean).
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks Jen, good idea. I was thinking the Kong is so fantastically versatile that I'd be able to use that. I don't have any idea what to put in the other toys though which are designed for kibble. It'll be a shame not to use them he does enjoy them.
bugzy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2010, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Thanks Jen, good idea. I was thinking the Kong is so fantastically versatile that I'd be able to use that. I don't have any idea what to put in the other toys though which are designed for kibble. It'll be a shame not to use them he does enjoy them.
you could always chop some liver into small pieces, dry it out on a low heat in the oven, and then use the dried liver as treats for the interactive toys
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 03:40 PM
I do the frozen kong too, they are great things, also the spikey chewy plastic toys with some spready cheeze or a tiny bit of marmite so they have to lick and lick

Personaly I wouldnt use the interactive toys when I am not in, a kong fine but anything that they have to bat around and run around with would be too stimulating

I pretty much expect my dogs to be sleeping when I am not in, or gently chewing

I also only feed in the evenings so they get nice big meals, but it dosent take them that long to eat at all
akitagirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 05:27 PM
I freeze rich and fresh pilchards in kongs for ours
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2010, 07:37 PM
We've found that cheap cuts of steak chopped in such a way that you can just about squeeze the pieces into the kong then frozen keep our two occupied for just over an hour.

Last longer than the frozen mince. Wills discovered quickly with the mince that if you bounce the kong hard off the ground bits come out easier.

They also enjoy chewing on nylabones when we are out.
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2010, 01:05 AM
It is a difficult one and I've ended up buying dry dog food just to use in their treat balls on the odd occasion they get them. This is supplementary though, rather than part of their regular diet.

I do use a kong for every meal time though, partly as a way to slow them down a bit. I'm not organised enough to freeze them, but I do find just stuffing a kong with their raw meal can keep them occupied for 10 minutes instead of 30 seconds!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 07:28 PM
I seen treats the other day that were made entirely from dired fish skin. I thought they'd be handy for adding to treatballs for example. Though a bit smelly the dogs would love it. I don't recall the brand.
jesterjenn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-03-2010, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
I seen treats the other day that were made entirely from dired fish skin. I thought they'd be handy for adding to treatballs for example. Though a bit smelly the dogs would love it. I don't recall the brand.
Fish4Dogs

They're brill.