Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kobi
Dogsey Senior
Male 

03-11-2010, 09:47 PM

Choice of lead

What are peoples opinions of leads, weight of etc.
I use quite a heavy long lead which doubles up so I can use it short or long.
As long as the lead is strong enough for the type of dog should I go for the lightest lead possible with a view to it becoming unnoticed/ invisible quicker when trying to go to heelwork offleash
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

03-11-2010, 09:59 PM
I am terrible as have lots of different types of leads and change them depending on my mood/what we're doing.

For a walk I generally use a short quite thick lead if walking to the park and he'll be let off for most of the walk. For a walk where he will be onlead for most of it I will use a longer lead so he can move further away from me. I don't have a flexi-lead and hate seeing them used extended by a road.
For training (obedience and agility) I tend to use a slip lead for ease of removal, lead doesn't really do anything. For obedience healwork Teg is far better off the lead than on my gran had a thick piece of string with clip attached to change obedience healwork from onlead to off.
Indie85
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-11-2010, 10:01 PM
I use a Leather police dog type lead for all short lead walking. Its comfortable and the perfect length for lead training.

If recall training, I take a long line with me.
Shani
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-11-2010, 10:21 PM
When I was trying to teach Muppet his recall, (in my back garden) I used a flexi-lead that a friend had given me, (I seldom refuse anything free ) though I think a long line would have been much easier to handle.

When out street walking or going to the park I use a rope lead.

When taking him to work with me (market trader) I use a metal chain lead as there are moments when I can't give him my undevided attention & chain is tooth proof, It is embarrising shouting your dog with half a lead in you hand.
Jenn~n~Luke
Dogsey Senior
Female 

04-11-2010, 12:21 AM
I just use a six foot nylon leash...I'd love to get a nice leather one with a matching collar though, probably for his second bday I never used a long line before, too afraid he'd get tangled and hurt his legs. We did all recall work in a fenced in park.
Delos
Dogsey Junior
Male 

04-11-2010, 01:18 PM
I use a Halti (I don't use a head collar) double clip ended training lead that you can alter the length on. It's comfortable and you can easily alter the length.

http://canineconcepts.co.uk/item--Th...ead--haltilead

I don't recommend this supplier as I've never used them it's just the first one that came up when I searched.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 01:24 PM
Another one who uses the Halti doubled ended lead. I find them comfortable to hold, a good weight (they do a small and large size so you could get a lighter one for smaller dogs), they have a smaller clip on one end which I find good to attach to a headcollar to put less weight on it, and they've lasted a long time. Definately recommend them to people and if you have a couple/few then you can link them up to make a longline too.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 03:03 PM
When I'm jogging I use the halti double ended lead, clip one end round my waist and the other to Tegs harness.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-11-2010, 03:44 PM
I use the Halti double end lead - even with the dog that doesn`t have a Halti.
It`s soft, strong, versatile and machine washable.