Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tye_Bo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-12-2008, 10:43 PM

Please recommend me your dried food!

Following on from my Nutro thread, what dried food can anyone recommend me? My dog is a 8 1/2 year old dobie who has a sensitive gut and suffers from dry/patchy skin/coat.

Thanks!
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

30-12-2008, 10:45 PM
Arden Grange Sensitive Fish and Potato I have had some good results with it.
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-12-2008, 11:10 PM
Skinners duck & rice hypoallergenic
Aussie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-12-2008, 04:53 AM
Originally Posted by Jules1 View Post
Skinners duck & rice hypoallergenic
Quality/price, it seems a well balanced and good food
Tye_Bo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2008, 07:04 AM
Thanks for the suggestions. I did switch to Autarky as it was a lot cheaper than the Genesis I was using but then when it came and I read the feeding instructions, yes it was half the price but you had to feed twice as much!! How can I tell before buying a product what the feeding quantity is? At the moment he has 2 full cups per day (the cup is one of the standard plastic feed cups most feeds come with).
Aussie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-12-2008, 07:33 AM
From Autarky website:
Ingredients:
Maize, chicken meat meal, rice, chicken fat, green vegetables, carrots, whole linseed, prairie meal, yeast, herbs, spices, seaweed, yucca extract, with EC permitted antioxidants: mixed tocopherols, vitamin C and rosemary extract

The 1st and the most important component of this food is maize, (dogs are not chicken) - very bad food in MHO.
Don't feed your dogs with this. Sometimes the initial investment in a good food pay in medium terms, as you will need less quantitiy to mantain your dog.

GENESIS contains Menadione
Vitamin K3, synthetic vitamin K.

Also listed as Menadione Dimethyl-Pyrimidinol Bisulfate, Menadione Dimethyl-Pyrimidinol Bisulfite, Menadione Sodium Bisulfate Complex, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite and Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex.

Unnecessary ingredient in dog food. This synthetic version of vitamin K has not been specifically approved for long term use, such as in pet food. It has been linked to many serious health issues

Also Sodium Chloride
A colorless or white crystalline solid, chiefly sodium chloride, used extensively in ground or granulated form as a food seasoning and preservative. May also appear in ingredient list as "Iodized Salt" (iodine supplement added), "Sea Salt" (as opposed to salt mined from underground deposits) or "Sodium Chloride" (chemical expression).

While salt is a necessary mineral, it is also generally present in sufficient quantities in the ingredients pet foods include. Just like for humans, too much sodium intake is unhealthy for animals. In poor quality foods it is often used in large amounts to add flavor and make the food more interesting.

Genesis also not a good food.
Aussie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-12-2008, 07:54 AM
Originally Posted by Tye_Bo View Post
How can I tell before buying a product what the feeding quantity is?
Just read the label in the food sac, or visit their website.
Tye_Bo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2008, 08:03 AM
Thanks I buy online so no bag to look at.

So Genesis and Nutro and Autarky are no-no's.

Skinners is ok or the others you recommended is Orjin but that is a bit expensive. What about Arden Grange as Carole recommends?
Aussie
Dogsey Junior
Male 

31-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Originally Posted by Tye_Bo View Post
Thanks I buy online so no bag to look at.

So Genesis and Nutro and Autarky are no-no's.

Skinners is ok or the others you recommended is Orjin but that is a bit expensive. What about Arden Grange as Carole recommends?

Arden Grange is a very good food (price/quality)
Tye_Bo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

31-12-2008, 08:09 AM
Doh....I'm just looking into the Skinners as the price is good and you say its ingrediants are good. None of the pet shops that sell it have info about how much to feed so I've googled the skinners site and even that doesn't tell me how much to feed? I don't want to get stung like with the Autarky where it seems good but you have to feed vast amounts!! What am missing - how can I tell how much to feed?!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >