register for free
View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
mjfromga is offline  
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,662
Female 
 
14-10-2018, 07:11 AM
Here you claim you DON'T let your dog off the leash near roads... While on this thread you claim you NEVER/RARELY leash him. Your story sounds different each time you tell it here as well. Again to me it just seems like you're trying to put your dog on a pedestal. He's no better than the next dog. Unless you put up a VIDEO of him doing all you claim perfectly, I definitely am not going to believe all you say about him. I don't think anybody else here believes it either.
Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2018-10-08-03-10-07.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	6019  
Reply With Quote
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Besoeker is offline  
Location: Dunstable UK
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,921
Male 
 
14-10-2018, 11:08 AM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Here you claim you DON'T let your dog off the leash near roads... While on this thread you claim you NEVER/RARELY leash him. Your story sounds different each time you tell it here as well.
What part of this don't you get.
Let me put it to you in very simple terms. Then you might get it.

We very rarely walk on roads. So there is very rarely a need for a lead except on those very rare occasions when we do.

Got it now???
Reply With Quote
Losos
Dogsey Veteran
Losos is offline  
Location: Suffolk, England
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 9,850
Male 
 
14-10-2018, 06:40 PM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
But I am still being castigated for not having him on a lead.

The fact is this - Dogs are hugely social creatures so of course they want to sniff each other, it's in their genes. You will sometimes come across a 'pack leader' type then it gets difficult because the two legged creature who sees itself as the boss (Well they all do actualy ) will assume that the other dog will destroy what it (The two legged one) wants the four legged one to do so it's the old story of the human attributing human characteristics to their dog.



Humans assume they are the master race (Well maybe they are since being supremely aggressive and devious they have become the dominant species on the planet) so they cannot abide when another species i.e. a cannine, wants to do something that is natural but not human e.g. go up to another dog and sniff it
Reply With Quote
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Besoeker is offline  
Location: Dunstable UK
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,921
Male 
 
14-10-2018, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Losos View Post
The fact is this - Dogs are hugely social creatures so of course they want to sniff each other, it's in their genes. You will sometimes come across a 'pack leader' type then it gets difficult because the two legged creature who sees itself as the boss (Well they all do actualy ) will assume that the other dog will destroy what it (The two legged one) wants the four legged one to do so it's the old story of the human attributing human characteristics to their dog.



Humans assume they are the master race (Well maybe they are since being supremely aggressive and devious they have become the dominant species on the planet) so they cannot abide when another species i.e. a cannine, wants to do something that is natural but not human e.g. go up to another dog and sniff it
No disagreement with that. A fellow dog walker gave me a bit of advice not long after we got Max. His dog was also off the lead and pretty calm.
"They are dogs. They'll work it out between them."
Sound. They socialise. I sometimes comment to other dog walkers that if we sniffed like that, we'd get arrested.
Reply With Quote
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Gnasher is offline  
Location: East Midlands, UK
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,727
Female 
 
14-10-2018, 08:50 PM
Well said Losos and Boeseker ... if only we could sometimes just step back and let our dogs be dogs ... interact with other dogs, introduce themselves, have words even (very rarely does this end in injury - usually only because some hysterical flapping human has got involved instead of letting the dogs sort things out between themselves) things would run so much smoother. My daughter's 2 chihuahuas who we are looking after the moment met up with 4 springers being springers in the woods today. They were both on leads, but the springers roared up to say hello, one barking aggressively which Diesel responded to. No harm done, dogs interacting in a normal doggy way, all 3 humans calm and in control of the situation. No hysterics, no flapping, 6 happy dogs mingling and having fun.
Reply With Quote
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Chris is offline  
Location: Lincolnshire
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,152
Female 
 
14-10-2018, 11:07 PM
Dogs will be dogs. Aggressive dogs will be dogs.

Let's put it this way, when it all goes wrong, the dogs ends up in severe pain or worse and the owners fighting over who is going to pay the vet bills

Many dogs are on lead for a very good reason and a little bit of common courtesy costs nothing but a few seconds of time
Reply With Quote
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
mjfromga is offline  
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,662
Female 
 
15-10-2018, 06:24 AM
Originally Posted by Besoeker View Post
What part of this don't you get.
Let me put it to you in very simple terms. Then you might get it.

We very rarely walk on roads. So there is very rarely a need for a lead except on those very rare occasions when we do.

Got it now???
You can lose that disgusting attitude. You haven't made much sense in this thread with your contradictions and wild statements. Your stories don't link until someone points out a fallacy, then you try and play it off like this.

I also stand by the rest of my statement. Your dog is probably no different than most of our dogs. I doubt he's as perfect as you try to make him out to be simply because dogs are living beings and they simply CANNOT be that perfect.

You've merely been lucky enough to where your actions haven't caused the harm of your dog or anybody elses. I admit I have made mistakes and that ANY dog can act out of character for reasons unknown.

Ignoring what everyone is telling you and insisting that you are correct to suit your purposes doesn't make you look smart or like a better dog owner than everyone else. I feel like that needs to be said.
Reply With Quote
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Besoeker is offline  
Location: Dunstable UK
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,921
Male 
 
15-10-2018, 03:05 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
You can lose that disgusting attitude. You haven't made much sense in this thread with your contradictions and wild statements. Your stories don't link until someone points out a fallacy, then you try and play it off like this.

I also stand by the rest of my statement. Your dog is probably no different than most of our dogs. I doubt he's as perfect as you try to make him out to be simply because dogs are living beings and they simply CANNOT be that perfect.

You've merely been lucky enough to where your actions haven't caused the harm of your dog or anybody elses. I admit I have made mistakes and that ANY dog can act out of character for reasons unknown.

Ignoring what everyone is telling you and insisting that you are correct to suit your purposes doesn't make you look smart or like a better dog owner than everyone else. I feel like that needs to be said.
OK. Show me where I have contradicted myself. When you do so, I will retract and apologise.
Seem fair?
Reply With Quote
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
mjfromga is offline  
Location: Atlanta, GA, USA
Joined: Sep 2010
Posts: 5,662
Female 
 
15-10-2018, 09:30 PM
Another user here pointed out a weird change in story same as I did. You said here that your dog is given verbal commands at roadways. I added a SS where you say you ALWAYS leash them at roadways. You added an extremely rude comment that doesn't match what you've said in either case. Like I said, you seem to just be trying way too hard here. And that dog isn't perfect like you claim.

In addition, it isn't just stories that don't link together and a high and mighty attitude that people here have an issue with. That's actually the SMALLEST and most irrelevant thing in this entire thread but of course all you focus on.

My true issue is that you're acting like your dog is perfect and that things can't happen. Neither of those things are true. My dog is under voice command and he has never run off or started fights or anything, but it simply is not smart to only issue voice commands at roadways or allow your dog to approach leashed dogs at will. I endeavor to avoid this because oftentimes leashed dogs are leashed for a good reason.
Reply With Quote
Besoeker
Dogsey Veteran
Besoeker is offline  
Location: Dunstable UK
Joined: Oct 2016
Posts: 1,921
Male 
 
16-10-2018, 12:34 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Another user here pointed out a weird change in story same as I did. You said here that your dog is given verbal commands at roadways. I added a SS where you say you ALWAYS leash them at roadways. You added an extremely rude comment that doesn't match what you've said in either case. Like I said, you seem to just be trying way too hard here. And that dog isn't perfect like you claim.

In addition, it isn't just stories that don't link together and a high and mighty attitude that people here have an issue with. That's actually the SMALLEST and most irrelevant thing in this entire thread but of course all you focus on.

My true issue is that you're acting like your dog is perfect and that things can't happen. Neither of those things are true. My dog is under voice command and he has never run off or started fights or anything, but it simply is not smart to only issue voice commands at roadways or allow your dog to approach leashed dogs at will. I endeavor to avoid this because oftentimes leashed dogs are leashed for a good reason.
I don't claim that my dog is perfect. It would be stupid and dishonest for anyone to claim that.
Reply With Quote
Reply
Page 6 of 12 « First < 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Leads or not Besoeker General Dog Chat 27 23-10-2016 07:57 AM
Dog Leads Pidge General Dog Chat 35 22-11-2009 07:45 PM
Dog leads Kazz General Dog Chat 13 15-10-2009 08:19 PM
They don't need leads. chaz General Dog Chat 11 27-07-2009 03:44 PM
dog leads.... Collie Convert General Dog Chat 8 18-02-2009 08:37 PM

© Copyright 2016, Dogsey   Contact Us - Dogsey - Top Contact us | Archive | Privacy | Terms of use | Top