View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hope Rescue
Listed Rescue on Dogsey
Female 

31-01-2013, 12:01 AM

Could you open your heart and home to a foster dog?

About Fostering for Hope Rescue

We have a number of dogs coming from homes or in kennels that would benefit from a foster home. Foster homes are the most effective way to evaluate our dogs and bring them back to health both mentally and physically as well as teaching them some basic rules.

Foster homes should have some dog knowledge or experience. Full back up is given and all costs such as vet bills etc will be met by us. Most foster homes will cover food as a contribution but this can also be supplied (always if a prescription diet is required).

There is no set time frame for the dog to be in the home however a couple of weeks are normal for them to settle and be assessed prior to going up for rehoming. You will help us to find out what they are like around other dogs, possibly cats and children and help us to find the right home for them. Fostering is a rewarding experience as many dogs come in timid and scared and leave their foster homes as happy and well adjusted family pets.

We take time to ensure you are matched with the right foster dog, and take into account your home circumstances, family set up, other pets etc. Some foster homes can more or less take anything, others only small dogs, puppies, older dogs, or certain breeds.

Location of Foster Homes

We prefer our foster homes to be located within a 100 mile radius of Newport, South Wales. The reason for this is to ensure that we can provide any support as effectively and effeciently as possible.

We will consider foster homes out of this catchement area, but only if they are prepared to travel at least to the M4 or M5 to meet (or return where necessary) their foster dog.

Foster Application Procedure and Guidelines

If you are interested in fostering for Hope Rescue you will need to complete a Foster Application form. Before applying please ensure you have read our criteria (below) and Foster Agreement - all new foster homes must sign and return the Agreement before we will place a foster dog with you.

The Foster Agreement can be found HERE

The Fostering Application Form is HERE

Our criteria for foster homes is very similar to our rehoming criteria. Please note they are guidelines as opposed to blanket policies. Occasionally we can be flexible so it is worth asking before applying:

We do not foster to homes with existing dogs that are not neutered (unless for medical or behavioural concerns or in exceptional circumstances)

We will foster certain dogs to full-time workers, however you must make arrangements for someone to visit during the day e.g. a dog walker/sitter. These will usually be surrenders and not pound dogs.

We do not allow our foster dogs to be fostered to working homes (i.e. hunting)

Once you have returned your application form the Fostering Team will consider it, and provided you meet our criteria Kate will ring you for an initial "foster" chat.

If both parties are happy to proceed we will undertake a home check.

If the homecheck passes you will be allocated a Foster Co-ordinator and sent a Foster Pack before welcoming your first foster dog.

FAQ

I already have other dogs/cats/small furries - can I foster?

The majority of our foster homes have other pets. You will need to tell us on the foster application form about your pets and their likes and dislikes. This information will help us to decide which foster dog is right for you.

It should be noted however that all resident dogs must be neutered unless in exceptional circumstances and advised on medical or behavioural grounds (please provide details as to why on the form). Breeding/showing your dog(s) is not normally considered exceptional circumstances.

How long will my foster dog stay with me?

Our minimum assessment period is 2 weeks. More popular breeds and puppies are usually rehomed within about 2 to 6 weeks. The less popular breeds, or dogs with training or behavioural issues may take longer to rehome. It is part of the foster homes responsibility to promote their foster dog - the more information and updates you provide the more likely it is your foster dog will be rehomed.

Do I have to collect my foster dog from Wales?

We usually transport the foster dogs to the foster homes, particularly if they are not local. However, certain dogs (usually kennel dogs as specified in their Dogs Needing Foster Homes thread) we will require the foster homes to visit with their own dog first. Some foster homes will always chose to come and meet their foster dog first in kennels or the pound.

How do you decide which dog I can foster?

Each dog is placed in the most suitable foster home as determined by Hope Rescue (by agreement of course!). When placing a foster dog we take into account your previous experience and any preferences/requirements you may have as detailed in your application form. We will rarely place a dog directly from the pound into a new foster home, or one with very young children.

I have young children - can I foster?

We prefer our foster homes to have children over the age of 5 years. However, we may consider families with slightly younger children if they have previous fostering experience, or can demonstrate to us that their children are "dog savvy". Pound dogs are in the main unassessed with little or no history, consequently we will not place them in a home with young children. Instead we would look at placing a surrender with a known history around children.

What expenses do you cover and how do I claim them?

All expenses associated with the care of your foster dog are covered by Hope Rescue, although some foster homes choose to provide food. It is the responsibility of each individual foster home to make sure the dog is vaxed/chipped/wormed/deflead and neutered if old enough (although this may already be done before the foster dog arrives). We can either set up an account direct with your vet, or you can pay and claim back the expenses.

What happens if my foster dog has any issues or does not work out?

Whilst every care is taken to assess our dogs for the most suitable foster home it should be noted that we cannot guarantee exactly how the foster dog will behave in your home. Inevitably there will be times when the foster dog develops issues we were not aware of,or that are outside your experience. These could include training, behavioural or medical issues.

We provide full back and support through our Fostering Team. You will be allocated a Foster Co-ordinator who is there to provide you with advice and guidance. Heather, our Rehoming Manager is also a qualified behaviourist (APDT) and can provide basic training advice by email/over the phone. We also have a dedicated "Foster Lounge" on the Forum where you can also post for advice and share experiences with other foster homes.

There will be occassions when the foster dog does not work out and will need to be returned. This is one of the reasons we prefer our foster homes to be located within a 100 mile radius of Newport. It means we can react quickly and bring the dog back at short notice if required.

Can I foster for you and another rescue?

We prefer our foster homes to stay exclusive to Hope Rescue. This enables us to build up a good relationship and to establish each foster homes capabilities and preferences. This also helps to ensure that we match each foster home with the right dog. However, some foster homes can only take dogs with specific attributes and we may not always have a suitable dog, e.g. only older dogs. It makes sense in a situation like that to take in a dog from another rescue rather than keep a space free. In these circumstances we do ask that you keep us fully informed if you are speaking to another rescue, and if you then take in a dog from them. If already foster for another rescue please state this clearly on your application form.

We do not allow you to take in a foster dog from another rescue at the SAME time, without our express permission. We place our dogs in the most suitable foster home, taking into account the existing mix of dogs, so bringing in an additional dog may upset the balance. Also, not all rescues have the same standards as us and we would not wish our dog to be upset by another dog we know nothing about and that may not be assessed, vaxed, neutered etc.

If we have not answered your questions, or you would like a further chat before completing your Foster Application form then please contact Kate by email fosters@hoperescue.org.uk