Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Clair
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 10:46 AM
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I have read a lot of info on the internet since all of this has happened, and yes, over there they class a staffy as a pit bull, so in a lot of places where BSL exists Staffies are actually banned.
i guess you are being serious

this is in a country where you can own a wolf(not that i av nething against it)

so let me get this straight,you can own a wild pack animal but not a stafford,well,should i be suprised
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-03-2007, 04:52 PM
so let me get this straight,you can own a wild pack animal but not a stafford,well,should i be suprised
BSL is not nation wide, it occures regionally. Certain breeds will be banned by county or municipality. Usually the same municipalities have already outlawed wolf hybrids.

More anti US BS for the fine folks at dogsey.
bullterrier
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-03-2007, 07:09 PM
Right, I`ve read up to page 14. I`ve read the statistics & you cannot change my mind about apbt`s or American Staffs, I think they`re beautiful looking robust dogs that shouldn`t be banned.
The government statistics are not accurate, they will be based on mainly media evaluation of a situation where no evidence occurs, unless of course the U.S. government has a department for studying dog attacks (I think not!)
Got to agree that the behavioural tests done on the differing breeds is misleading, I think the Rotties had about 4000 tests done & a few others 1. Of course this is also because of the popularity of certain breeds, but how cananything be substantiated with these figures. It would have been better to have done 100 of each of the most popular breeds, therefore giving a better balance.
Anybody who quotes government statistics must also understand (especially after 10 years of Labour) that government statistics are usually concocted to say what the government wishes(I can`t believe the U.S. government is any diffrerent).
The only statistics that could convince me would be ones that are completely independent & thoroughly investigated i.e. boots on the ground after an incident, involving dog breed experts & dog behaviourists as well as the police.
Most dog attacks in G.B. seem to suggest that there were mistakes made by the owners of the dogs, either cruelty, neglect, over indulgence(treating the dogs like babies), or all the previous.
The only problem with APBT`s is some of the morons that use them for other more vicious things or for personal protection (I personaly believe Staff`s, APBT`s, Bullies shouldn`t be encouraged to be nasty to anything & should be discouraged vehemently from this behaviour).
In the 1920`s in America the APBT WAS the most popular dog breed bar none, it didn`t get to this status by savageing everything insight. In those less enlightened times a bullet in the head would have taken care of any nastiness in dogs, any body who believes otherwise is kidding themselves.
It`s only the dog fighting brigade & the criminal members of society that are causing the problems, they`re ones who are destroying the breed with the help of the media.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by bullterrier View Post
Right, I`ve read up to page 14. I`ve read the statistics & you cannot change my mind about apbt`s or American Staffs, I think they`re beautiful looking robust dogs that shouldn`t be banned.
The government statistics are not accurate, they will be based on mainly media evaluation of a situation where no evidence occurs, unless of course the U.S. government has a department for studying dog attacks (I think not!)
Got to agree that the behavioural tests done on the differing breeds is misleading, I think the Rotties had about 4000 tests done & a few others 1. Of course this is also because of the popularity of certain breeds, but how cananything be substantiated with these figures. It would have been better to have done 100 of each of the most popular breeds, therefore giving a better balance.
Anybody who quotes government statistics must also understand (especially after 10 years of Labour) that government statistics are usually concocted to say what the government wishes(I can`t believe the U.S. government is any diffrerent).
The only statistics that could convince me would be ones that are completely independent & thoroughly investigated i.e. boots on the ground after an incident, involving dog breed experts & dog behaviourists as well as the police.
Most dog attacks in G.B. seem to suggest that there were mistakes made by the owners of the dogs, either cruelty, neglect, over indulgence(treating the dogs like babies), or all the previous.
The only problem with APBT`s is some of the morons that use them for other more vicious things or for personal protection (I personaly believe Staff`s, APBT`s, Bullies shouldn`t be encouraged to be nasty to anything & should be discouraged vehemently from this behaviour).
In the 1920`s in America the APBT WAS the most popular dog breed bar none, it didn`t get to this status by savageing everything insight. In those less enlightened times a bullet in the head would have taken care of any nastiness in dogs, any body who believes otherwise is kidding themselves.
It`s only the dog fighting brigade & the criminal members of society that are causing the problems, they`re ones who are destroying the breed with the help of the media.
I agree with you 100% and you have summed it up perfectly!
kristian
Dogsey Senior
Male 

25-03-2007, 10:35 AM
good reply bullterrier! a lot of people believe that they are killing machines and it mostly been done by the media!
bullterrier
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-03-2007, 03:17 PM
I like the APBT & American Staff, think they`re magnificent animals. If it were legal I`d love a show bred Am Staff, but it`s not.
I`ve said this before on Dogsey & I`ll say it again, I`m positive that I read many years ago that a heck of a lot of APBT`s in Britain came from fighting lines imported from Holland. Now I may be wrong, if so please correct me, I can accept when I`m wrong.
But if this is true then this could well be the reason we had problems with them in the eighties/early nineties, this does not mean that a dog that is from correctly bred stock will react in the same way.
All APBT`s are not killer`s, but yes there are ones that have killed. The same goes for most of the mastiff breeds & larger herding breeds. I wouldn`t want an APBT chewing on my arm but neither would I rather have a Neopolitan Mastiff doing the same.
And for all those quoting statistics heres a quote(can`t recall who said it), Theres lies, damned lies & statistics !
Any body can make statistics say what they want, but how many are actually totally researched leaving no stone unturned, totally independently & aimed at telling the truth regardless of what the end product will say !
Also, somebody I know had a Labrador that was a right nasty piece of work, it used to put the fear of God into me & I don`t frighten easily.
So back to the question, no I don`t believe they`re any more dangerous than other breeds, but I do believe that a lot fall into the wrong hands because of unscrupulous breeders, which has done nothing to emphasize the positives of the breed.
They are a powerful dog so you have to be careful of their upbringing & monitor them closely, but I do that with my Staff & Bullie. I do everything to emphasize the positives of my breeds, but there are people who don`t, are my dogs to blame ? Am I to blame ?
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-03-2007, 03:28 PM
The main reason pits were banned is because of dog fighting not the attacks.
Hayley SBT
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-03-2007, 05:30 PM
it was also the attack on an Asian girl that when it happened they protested for Them and other 'dangerous dogs' to be banned.

Bull terrier, i wouldnt say the reason American Pit Bulls are in the state they are now is just down to pits from fighting lines, but BYB, Some Piczo type breeders and Cross the pit to a mastiff and passing them off as a pit bull to the average joe, id say this is where the main problem lies, but great post, glad this thread has not changed your mind.
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

25-03-2007, 06:29 PM
If you beleive what is written the media and what has been shown recently on tv,there are hundreds of misinformed people that own a Pitbull through no fault of their own.Apparently sold to them by BYB as Staffords or Irish line Staffords.If this is the case and Pitbulls are as dangerous as the authorities have us believe,then why are 99.9% of them loving family dogs that have not attacked or have ever shown signs of attacking? Yes i will concede that there is an argument that if a Pit were to attack it can cause a lot of damage very quickly.But surely thats the same for Rotties,GSD's and a whole host of other breeds,but i wouldn't want any of them being put on a list thats only been drafted to show the public that "politicians were doing something about things"
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-04-2007, 04:33 PM
Just thought I'd bring this up again as I've found something from the US whilst searching for training methods. It may be of interest, it's apparently from Dr C W Meisterfield, who is US certified judicial canine psychotherapist and witness, presumably in dangerous dog cases and that of dog attacks.

He says:

No Breed Born Dangerous:

"Since 1963, the principles of mutual respect "Train Without Pain" has saved the lives of over 3,000 behavioral problem dogs from being exterminated. Behavior ranges from aggressive biters, animal killers, separation anxiety, rage syndrome and everything in between. Of the aggressive dogs, including Pit Bulls, over 90% of them were trained with the Alpha Roll, prong collars, electric shock collars and using Koehler's methods of hanging the dog until it passes out and using a rubber hose across its muzzle. Their viciousness was due directly to their natural survival instinct! Not their breed!"
C.W. Meisterfeld, Ph.D., professional dog trainer since 1954 and U.S. Judicial Certified Canine Psychotherapist Expert Witness.
[Top Of Page]

From here: http://www.dogwhisper.com/article-co...DIA%20PAGE_top

There's not a lot of detail but I thought it interesting.

Wys
x
Page 34 of 132 « First < 24 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 44 84 > Last »