Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 06:09 PM

Devastated-my lurcher's killed my collie

I'm totally devastated. My husband Graham rang me in work today in a panic saying Danny our lurcher had killed our welsh collie Bessie. He had gone out for 20 mins and come back to see Danny covered in blood standing over a mutilated and barely breathing Bessie.
When I came home there was blood everywhere and Graham said he'd ripped her throat open. The vet had already arrived and said she was dead when I got home.
Poppy our foster was in her crate, Otis, Guinness and Jenny were in the same room. At first I thought it was a pack attack but I dont think it was. Guinness had a cut on his nose and I think he tried to intervene as he had no other blood on him. Jenny had no blood on her and neither did Otis. It was definitely Danny....he was covered in blood.
I don't know what to do now. Graham is distraught and wanted to have Danny put down but then changed his mind after I spoke to him. Danny killed a neighbour's cat last year.
He has never shown any aggression towards our other dogs at all.
I just don't know what to do......I'm going to crate him from now on when we're not here. I'm also going to keep Otis separate in another part of the house and keep crating Poppy so just Guinness and Jenny are out.
I feel numb and so very guilty. My poor Bessie. A horrible way to die.
We both still love Danny dearly but what do you guys think we should do? I don't want him PTS. But why did he do it? My mind is in turmoil but it's Graham I feel sorry for walking in to that.
Please help xx
Wyrd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 06:12 PM
No advice I'm afraid but you must be devastated, so sorry you lost your girl
RIP Bessie
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-01-2011, 06:15 PM
That's so sad. I can't offer any constructive advice, but I'm sorry you've lost Bessie.

Michael
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 06:15 PM
Don't really know what to say but how dreadful for you.the crates sound like a good idea and I guess you will have to do some thinking as things sink in. Loads of hugs to you both.....
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 06:18 PM
How dreadful for you, I just don't know what to suggest but, as Rachel said, the crates sound a good idea whilst you get your head around things. (((Hugs)))
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Oh that's awful, I'm so sorry for your loss.

I have no advice, my gut instinct would be to have the dog PTS. However, it may be better to consider other alternatives, such as rehoming him to a home with no other pets. It may not be a route you want to consider but it is a suggestion.

I can only offer hugs, I hope you can come to a solution that suits you all.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 06:19 PM
So sorry you've gone through this. I would be having thorough tests done on Danny - I have heard of dogs "turning" suddenly due to serious health issues, such as a brain tumour that has been slow growing and suddenly caused such a severe behavioural reaction. I think I would want to rule something like that out before I made a decision - it may be that there's a health issue and it's fairer on Danny to be put to rest, or all tests may come back clear, but I would want to examine this further if it were my dog.
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2011, 06:20 PM
Id get Danny checked by the vet , make sure there isnt a medical condition that caused the aggression

Im so very sorry for your loss , such a tragedy

RIP Bessie
xxxx
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-01-2011, 06:21 PM
Am so sorry and have no advice to give, what a terrible shock for you all Will keep all of you in your thoughts and am so sorry you've lost Bessie (x)
Kalasin
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-01-2011, 06:25 PM
Oh my gosh what a horrific thing to come home to, I am so so sorry.

Run free over the bridge Bessie

I agree with what Krlyr has said about getting tests done on him to make sure something's not going wrong 'up there' to make him behave so. In the meantime I would keep him separated from the others unless you are around to keep a very close watch on him. If medically there's nothing wrong with him then it might be a case of either trying to manage the situation between him and the other dogs (but is he going to be happy being kept away from the rest) or trying to rehome him to someone without other animals.
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 11 > Last »