View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-03-2007, 05:04 PM
Thankfully they only go on our property As it's private land, I think it'll be ok

I don't encourage them anywhere else, and thankfully they've been more pre-occupied with playing with other dogs

Thanks for that advice Helen. Our field is 11 acres, so it sometimes makes it hard to spot any game. When we do come across them, we've already startled them and they fly off
Arcticsong
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-07-2007, 11:21 AM
What great working photos they all are. Here is a picture of our lot working.

We decided to have huskies, having talked to alot of people in the husky club and attending lots of rallies, we bought ours to work them and let them do what they are bred to do and do best..run and pull..it's great fun.

Nuash GSPs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Wow I would love a go at that, maybe I should try my 4 GSPs they can some times pull hard on their leads.
Arcticsong
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-07-2007, 12:47 PM
Funny you should say that, some of the sled dog organisations have open classes, and there are alsorts of various dogs that have a run around the trails, that are not sled dogs. They absolutely love the run, and recently i have given a lady a picture of two Dalmations that were in harness on a rig, and am in the process of getting her a picture of a team of Dalmations that ran and finished the Iditarod over in Alaska some time back.

Jan.
Nuash GSPs
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-07-2007, 01:11 PM
I know I read somewhere that there was a guy with a sled dog team but his lead dog was a German Shorthaired Pointer
not sure where he was
Bluesandtwos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-07-2007, 10:26 AM
Originally Posted by teenytiny View Post
Fab dog Dawn. Has opened my eye to the nature of a Border Terrier! I know terriers are terriers, but I always looked upon a Border as a lil lap dog!

Can I just ask a quick question Dawn, what with your dog catching his prey, do you ever worry about diseases that the prey carry, and what effect they may have on your dog?

If so, what measures do you take to protect your dog from diseases such as Weals (sp) disease from rats etc?

I only ask out of interest.
a properly vaccinated dog is at no risk from weils disease.
good canine vaccines include cover against leptospirorsis: the pathogen responsible for weil's disease.
we humans are NOT afforded such protection however, so a good ratter is worth its weight in gold IMO
Bluesandtwos
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-07-2007, 10:31 AM
A few more working sled-dog pictures for you;

Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-07-2007, 10:32 AM
Actually thats not strictly true, I can tell you of 2 cases whereby fully vaccinated dogs have died from Weils disease. I do agree with you though, its very rare and most vaccinated dogs will be fine.
Dawn.
-GreyhoundGirl-
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-07-2007, 02:42 PM
Well, she's not a working breed, but my grey mix does agility competitions, is getting involved in therapy, and might be starting flyball in spring 2008.

Not technically working, but we both enjoy it. She won't be retiring anytime soon, and for agility there is no set age. Once she is having a real hard time with agility and not doing much in it and not enjoying it much I will retire her. Then she'll be a couch potato! When do couch potatos retire?
Arcticsong
Dogsey Junior
Female 

18-07-2007, 05:53 PM
I have a very big soft spot for Greyhounds. One of our Sibes was dying and needed a blood transfusion, it was two Greyhounds that saved his life with their blood, we met the dogs after and they were the most laid back dogs, with the sweetest nature we could of met. We'll always be grateful to them.

Jan.
Page 12 of 16 « First < 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 > Last »