Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Pulling on leash:
Of those dogs that had cervical (neck) anomalies, 91% (!) had been exposed to harsh jerks on the leash, or they had a long history of pulling or straining at the end of a leash. There is a risk of "whip-lash" from jerking the leash that probably increases if the dog wears a choke chain. Choke chains are constructed such that pulling it results in pressure distributed around the dog's neck, but the muscles that absorb the pressure are situated mostly at the sides of the neck. The neck and throat are almost unprotected.
Choke chains can be dangerous. For many years I and others have criticized the use of choke chains and training methods that use jerking and pulling on a leash as a means of controlling behavior. Unfortunately, most dog trainers use just this technique. There is probably a relationship between the force of the jerk and the risk of injury. I believe dog owners should be warned that chaining a dog to anything firm, that isn't elastic, without surveillance may increase the risk of a spinal injury. A dog can easily forget the boundaries of the chain or rope, accelerate, and suddenly come to a halt, with all the stopping power concentrated around the dog's neck.

Hallgren , “Animal Behavior Consultants Newsletter” July, 1992, V.9 No.2.
I don't like seeing dogs strung up on their leads, and the Borzoi moved beautifully and lightly on a loose lead beside his handler, unlike many other dogs at crufts.

However the above basically says that dogs who lunge, pull and jerk on leads tend to have neck anomalies, and that the harder and longer they do this the more likely they are to have cervical anomalies.

However this is much the same if the dog itself is doing the lunging, jerking or pulling, as is often the case, including if tethered, or particularly if a dog suddenly takes off and abruptly reached the end of a long line or extending lead. With some dogs even walking on lead can result in sudden thrashing about and lunging and unavoidable targets within their critical distance.

The report does not separate dogs who do this themselves from instances of the handler deliberating checking the dog.

Nor does it specific the nature of the anomalies, and history of knocks and tumbles in play or work etc, nor produce any comparative figures for the incidence of neck anomalies in dogs without any history of pulling.

I have anomalies in my own cervical vertebrate but I have no history of pulling on a lead, with or without a check chain.

Accordingly I am not sure it tells us much?

in terms of whiplash, I recently saw a dog equipment site that stated they wouldn't provide bungey cord leashes due to whip lash injuries from these, i.e. in their experience it was the elasticity that could cause, rather than prevent, whip lash injuries.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 06:33 AM
Most scientific studies are flawed and this is of course merely an extract.

Damage to the cervical vertebrae (however caused) is why many osteopaths/chiropractics and physios interested in this field are recommending the use of harnesses.

It will be one of the issues covered in Tony Nevin's seminar next month and I hope it will be touched upon by Christine Zink in hers.
Lizzy23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 07:07 AM
does anyone know why the bassett got bounced ??
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Most scientific studies are flawed and this is of course merely an extract.

Damage to the cervical vertebrae (however caused) is why many osteopaths/chiropractics and physios interested in this field are recommending the use of harnesses.

It will be one of the issues covered in Tony Nevin's seminar next month and I hope it will be touched upon by Christine Zink in hers.
I do think harnesses are better at least until the dog is trained to walk nicely on a loose lead. I can't imagine them catching on at shows though. The mere mention of a harness brings horrified gasps
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I do think harnesses are better at least until the dog is trained to walk nicely on a loose lead. I can't imagine them catching on at shows though. The mere mention of a harness brings horrified gasps
Perhaps all breeds should take a leaf out of the GSD Sieger requirements and demonstrate off lead gaiting?
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Can you just imagine the pandemonium in the ring
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Can you just imagine the pandemonium in the ring

Well it would certainly demonstrate who, if anyone, had adequate control over their dogs off lead................ and provide an injection of excitement to some classes
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 09:06 AM
Oh please-----the Kerry Blues and the Irish Terriers would be a good start!

rune
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Mayhem..........
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-03-2012, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Oh please-----the Kerry Blues and the Irish Terriers would be a good start!

rune
The whole terrier group
Page 31 of 40 « First < 21 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 > Last »