Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tonifletcher
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2008, 09:50 AM

tplo

hi
i have a 4yr old male rottie and he has just had a tplo operation but he keeps getting his cone of and ripping at his bandage they said to take it of 2day but i dont know wether its wise to keep it covered up can anyody help?
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2008, 10:02 AM
What is tplo?
Why not ask your vet`s advice re. the dressing?
tonifletcher
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2008, 10:07 AM
i have asked the vets - just wanted help from somebody whos dog may have had it done - its a op on the knee his crutia ligament went so he has a metal rod put in to fix it
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Hi there.
My girl had op on her cruciate not so long ago but it was not the same as you, they just put a small band in to hold it together(sorry not very technical, lol).
It was quite sore after though, they gave me a collar but I couldnt use it as she panics over a lot of things - she is a rescue.
She did lick it quite a lot at the beginning, but I made sure it wasnt enough that the stitches were going to come out.

So I would say keep a close eye on it, talk to your vet, but do what works for your dog. He may be happier without collar if he leaves it pretty much alone.

Not sure about bandage as mine didnt have one, I am sure someone will come along in a min and offer good advice x
tonifletcher
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2008, 11:28 AM
thank for ur help he has staples so i mean they would hurt if he pulled them out he has had the advanced op £2700 i think ur dog may have had the nylon fiber op same thing i think its just coz he is a big boy he doesn bother with it when we r in its just when i go to wrk im just worried that i may come in2 a mess
honeysmummy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2008, 11:40 AM
If he is that bad can you get anyone in to look after him when your not there?
It is difficult, my girl was really depressed after for a good week or so. She slowly got better and now she has made a full recovery (touch wood).

As others said try to give things to occupy him, bones, kong, give him extra comfy bed to sleep on as he will or should be sleeping a lot.

Let us know how he goes
tonifletcher
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2008, 11:52 AM
he dont sleep on beds he prefers the floor for some strange reason i will keep it posted as it is a common op and neiher of my dogs have eva had anythink this serious done b4 so i do worry as i came dwn this morning to blood everywer luckily he didnt get his staples tho the other dog is gross tho he nibbles the bloody bandages!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2008, 11:56 AM
Originally Posted by tonifletcher View Post
he dont sleep on beds he prefers the floor for some strange reason i will keep it posted as it is a common op and neiher of my dogs have eva had anythink this serious done b4 so i do worry as i came dwn this morning to blood everywer luckily he didnt get his staples tho the other dog is gross tho he nibbles the bloody bandages!
Do you have a cage/crate so he can be put in there to rest up?
tonifletcher
Dogsey Junior
Female 

21-09-2008, 12:03 PM
no he just sleeps in the kitchen when wer out as if i seperate him from the other dog he gets really paniky like he did with his collor on and thats when he does the most damage as he is a big dog!
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

21-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Originally Posted by tonifletcher View Post
no he just sleeps in the kitchen when wer out as if i seperate him from the other dog he gets really paniky like he did with his collor on and thats when he does the most damage as he is a big dog!
how long does he have to be left when you are at work?

is he licking at the staples or nibbling them?
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >