Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2011, 02:05 PM

Dog off lead at the vets!

In the vets with our little dog (on lead) sorting stuff at the desk, a lady with a dog (on lead) was sat waiting. The door is automatic, in comes this lab on it's own! And comes up to our dog. The owner comes in afterwards taking his time, our dog and his have a grumble at each other and he's still messing around taking his time to get a lead sorted out but not at all concerned. Mum says ''dogs loose in a vets is not a good idea'' he says something like ''s'pose you know everything about vets'' in a very arrogant way. The girl at the desk didn't know quite what to say and asked him if he was ok he said '' Yes I was until I met this lady'' again sounding very arrogant.

Does he want his dog fighting with an unknown dog?? Because thats what could well of happened if there was a large aggressive dog sat waiting.

His attautude was so bad I hate to stereotype but he was a rather stuck up, shooting / gundog man type with a great big shiny 4wd parked out side so he'd obviously let the dog out in the road and it had made it's way into the vets. btw I am not saying all who work gundogs / go shooting are stuck up! far from, just a small few are and think they can have a dog off lead all the time the dog had no collar either, I don't have so much of a problem with that so long as the dog is micro chipped but still.

The lady waiting said we shoud put a suggestion in, and an older lady whos works there then came out and agreed she said ''dogs on leads - cats in baskets''.

Do you agree that dogs should not be off lead at a vets? What suggestion would you write, suggest a sign or someting??

Thanks
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 02:17 PM
Originally Posted by nddogs View Post
In the vets with our little dog (on lead) sorting stuff at the desk, a lady with a dog (on lead) was sat waiting. The door is automatic, in comes this lab on it's own! And comes up to our dog. The owner comes in afterwards taking his time, our dog and his have a grumble at each other and he's still messing around taking his time to get a lead sorted out but not at all concerned. Mum says ''dogs loose in a vets is not a good idea'' he says something like ''s'pose you know everything about vets'' in a very arrogant way. The girl at the desk didn't know quite what to say and asked him if he was ok he said '' Yes I was until I met this lady'' again sounding very arrogant.

Does he want his dog fighting with an unknown dog?? Because thats what could well of happened if there was a large aggressive dog sat waiting.

His attitude was so bad I hate to stereotype but he was a rather stuck up, shooting / gundog man type with a great big shiny 4wd parked out side so he'd obviously let the dog out in the road and it had made it's way into the vets. btw I am not saying all who work gundogs / go shooting are stuck up! far from, just a small few are and think they can have a dog off lead all the time the dog had no collar either, I don't have so much of a problem with that so long as the dog is micro chipped but still.

The lady waiting said we shoud put a suggestion in, and an older lady whos works there then came out and agreed she said ''dogs on leads - cats in baskets''.

Do you agree that dogs should not be off lead at a vets? What suggestion would you write, suggest a sign or someting??

Thanks
I can't believe anyone would be thick enough to think otherwise! typical selfishness from another thoughtless dog owner. If I were the receptionist I would have told the owner once nicely to get the dog on a lead as it is upsetting other people & their animals, or leave.
Magpyex
Almost a Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 02:17 PM
What an irresponsible man! And then to have the cheek to have a go at your mum!

In our vets they have a policy of dogs on lead and cats/small animals in baskets. There are signs outside the vets, leading into the vets and inside the waiting room so that there is no confusion Personally I would expect all surgeries to have this policy - it is just sensible when you have lots of animals all in confined space.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 02:23 PM
All the vets I have been in have a sign, which states dogs on leads, cats in baskets.

One has to legislate for plugholes!
Luthien
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2011, 02:26 PM
Apart from the obvious chance of a major disagreement between dogs, what if there were un-vaccinated puppies in there? Their owners are usually told to keep them off the floor, but that's no protection if you have an off lead dog snuffling them.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2011, 02:27 PM
Thank for relpies I'm glad you agree, if my dog was off lead I'd appollogise not have a dig like this man, but then my dog would not be off lead in the first place, let alone in the vets before the owner. I think we will suggest they put a sign up.
nddogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Luthien View Post
Apart from the obvious chance of a major disagreement between dogs, what if there were un-vaccinated puppies in there? Their owners are usually told to keep them off the floor, but that's no protection if you have an off lead dog snuffling them.
Yes agree seems there are many different reasons for keeping a dog on a lead at a vets.
Julie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 02:32 PM
Our vet has a sign up and doesn't allow a dog in with out a lead they are strict on that, cats in baskets and rabbits in proper boxes too.

Once they are in the surgery he likes them to run free and joins them on the floor but until the door is closed he likes them to be safe.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 02:37 PM
Just one word 'knobhead'
Moonstone
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-03-2011, 02:37 PM
What a numpty, never seen a dog loose at the vets, though did meet a cat on a lead at the vets, not in a basket I had to wait outside, until it was our turn to see the vet, as they sat opposite us and one of my dogs is no good with strange cats.

It's just sensible and good manners, that dogs should be on a lead, cats and small furries in a cage, pet carrier etc.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >