Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 07:02 PM

Dog not being walked

Would folk consider this to be cruel/ill treatment even if dog seemed ok physically?
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by k9paw View Post
Would folk consider this to be cruel/ill treatment even if dog seemed ok physically?
It would depend on the dogs age, breed and character. Not all dogs enjoy walks and get enough satisfaction out of running around in the garden, other dogs will be climbing the walls in desperation. So not necessarily cruel depending on the situation and dog IMO.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 07:54 PM
Personally I don't agree with keeping a normal, healthy dog cooped up at home 24/7. I realise some dogs have issues that mean taking them out is a problem but most dogs I know aren't walked purely because their owners can't be arsed.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 07:59 PM
Agree with Sarah. A healthy dog, regardless of size, needs to be walked not only for exercise but for the stimulation it gets from meeting other dogs and all the lovely smells

My two would drive me mad if they didn't have their walks every day plus I wouldn't get any exercise.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post
Agree with Sarah. A healthy dog, regardless of size, needs to be walked not only for exercise but for the stimulation it gets from meeting other dogs and all the lovely smells

My two would drive me mad if they didn't have their walks every day plus I wouldn't get any exercise.
you try telling my Kaos that since he came back from being AWOL lol
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Oh naughty Kaos - hope he didn't go far.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 08:19 PM
I think its vital to excersize any dog, even if its a bit old...you can go on shorter walks
I must admit I dont take mine EVERY day..theres probably one day a month that they do not go for a walk..but I think thats okay??
Pilgrim
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 08:21 PM
Originally Posted by suecurrie View Post

Just playing devils advocate here BUT when I go for a walk we never meet other dogs (well once in a blue moon) and Ozzy isn't big on sniffing smells, so your argument isn't really valid

I am not saying that walking your dog isn't important, because it is, BUT not every dog is the same.
suecurrie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
Just playing devils advocate here BUT when I go for a walk we never meet other dogs (well once in a blue moon) and Ozzy isn't big on sniffing smells, so your argument isn't really valid

I am not saying that walking your dog isn't important, because it is, BUT not every dog is the same.
Very true Pilgrim and I probably was thinking more of my own dogs and my situation so accept totally what you say
k9paw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-01-2011, 08:39 PM
Thankyou for replies. For me it is not natural thing for a dog to be confined to garden n crate, despite being given basic food n water etc. I have concerns about such.
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »