Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-10-2006, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
I agree with you Dani...and with alot of what Patch has said also.

We live in a 'throw away' society if it don't work properly get rid of it...In some situations perhaps there is no choice...I always feel that in some cases work can be done to put the dog right but putting the animal to sleep is the quick and easy solution I agree that there are 100's of 'easy' animals all awaiting rehoming but are people really that fickle that no one in a controlled adult only household could be found to take on the dog and offered it the life it was better suited for?

I feel really sorry for dogs that people have messed up and other people arn't prepared to work with

I agree that once a dog has bitten it will most likely do it again, unless drastic changes are made in the lines of training and controlling the environment but I'm not so sure that once taken out of that situation and placed in a life more suitable that they couldn't be totally turned around...and I always see that glimmer of hope.

Agree 100% with this Mys. and I don't think the kids were to blame in this case at all, they were pretty good considering their ages. The parents on the other hand were not willing to put in the work that would have been needed to turn this dog around, and the mother in my opinion wanted the easy option. Her husband should have seen this and put in all the effort needed, but he carried on stroking the dog under the table when it got off the mat so that was never going to happen. They were more concerned at having to "keep getting up and down during dinner" to bother to enforce the training. Some people shouldn't have dogs.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
You are totally correct Trouble regarding this little dog having had very little or no training whatsoever, he had no consistency at all in his short life and had been allowed to rule the roost for too long. However, whatever their failings as dog owners/trainers, the family obviously loved their dog and it must have been a heartbreaking decision (especially for the father). I just hope they have learnt from this tragic experience.
I agree with you Moobli, I hope that they and other people do learn from this unfortunate outcome.

But I also hope that people realise although 'love' must be the biggest ingredient of dog ownership it must be combined with commitment, dedication, respect, understanding and responsibility...If we want to bring dogs into our lives we must be prepared to educate ourselves and for work, work and more work...People need to start realising they are not glorified cuddly toys.

(A generalised comment not intended directly for the family involved)
metz
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2006, 10:34 AM
here here mischevious
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-10-2006, 10:34 AM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
You are totally correct Trouble regarding this little dog having had very little or no training whatsoever, he had no consistency at all in his short life and had been allowed to rule the roost for too long. However, whatever their failings as dog owners/trainers, the family obviously loved their dog and it must have been a heartbreaking decision (especially for the father). I just hope they have learnt from this tragic experience.
AH but love clearly has many facets, I loved my teddy but clearly had no commitment to him, because I have no idea what became of him. So I don't disagree with you but think MYs has hit the nail squarely on the head with the next quote.

Originally Posted by myschievous View Post
I agree with you Moobli, I hope that they and other people do learn from this unfortunate outcome.

But I also hope that people realise although 'love' must be the biggest ingredient of dog ownership it must be combined with commitment, dedication, respect, understanding and responsibility...If we want to bring dogs into our lives we must be prepared to educate ourselves and for work, work and more work...People need to start realising they are not glorified cuddly toys.

(A generalised comment not intended directly for the family involved)
Thank you Mys, for finding the words that I was looking for and hitting the nail so totally on the head.
patterlad
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-10-2006, 10:46 AM
I think it was the best thing having the dog PTS.If you are not able to cope with the dog yourself you cant hand the problem over to someone else even if they do no the dogs backround for bitting.VS has been training dogs for many years and im sure she knew what was best.You could turn round and say the dog will never bite again, but its one big gamble.Your walking round with a time bomb unsure when it will go off.
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 12:11 PM
Dogs are animals at the end of the day and ALL animals domesticated or not are unpredictable.

You cannot say for certain that putting this dog in a new home will "cure" the problem IMO thats just silly.

What would happen if the new owner with lots of experiance and no kids has friends or relatives with children? Is the dog to banished to the outside? or how about when out walking???

Children will ALWAYS run up to dogs at sometime or another and what would happen then?? I for one wouldnt want to be responsable for the dog biting someones child!!
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-10-2006, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by Kanikula View Post
I for one wouldnt want to be responsable for the dog biting someones child!!
As previously documented in another thread, I've been in that exact position, when my Great Dane bit a small child, really quite badly.

It's a horrendous situation to find yourself in as you feel bad from all sides. The child's family of course, other dog owners, and then you sit quizzing whether it was something you did that prompted the behaviour. Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.

In such situations, I do believe that the only safe alternative is to have the dog put to sleep. A trust that is so much needed for us to happily coexist has been broken.

However, I stress that in my case, had the child been somehow pushing the dog to bite, I may have acted differently, but she didn't. It was an out of the blue attack, where the dog really did go quite out of its way to initiate it.
lisa0307
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-10-2006, 03:15 PM
Sorry but I thought it was disgusting what they did to this dog..one minute Victoria Stillwell is taking the family to see how good these dogs are with finding drugs etc and the next minute she's advising them to have the poor soul put down...totally waste of a nice dog...I hope this woman is removed from our TV screens because I for one will not be watching anymore of her awful programs...
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-10-2006, 03:28 PM
I for one will not be watching anymore of her awful programs
Me too actually. But not because of anything she did per se. I was just unlucky enough to have seen her for the first time last week, with Jodi Marsh. I figured if that was the best she has to offer the tv screens then I'm better without it.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Originally Posted by lisa0307 View Post
Sorry but I thought it was disgusting what they did to this dog..one minute Victoria Stillwell is taking the family to see how good these dogs are with finding drugs etc and the next minute she's advising them to have the poor soul put down...totally waste of a nice dog...I hope this woman is removed from our TV screens because I for one will not be watching anymore of her awful programs...
Just out of interest, what would you have advised the family to do in VS's position (assuming vet advice had also been taken)?
Page 8 of 14 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 > Last »