View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-12-2008, 12:53 AM
If I had my way would only ever have males, but we are looking to get a 4th again and I know a female is going to fit in better although would prefer a male.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-12-2008, 09:41 AM
Why do you prefer the males kcjack? Just interested. I've only ever had males so nothing to compare, but I see that most have posted they prefer the girls?

I think the idea of a dog just wanting to be loved and fed sounds ideal - why have one with an attitude lol. When posters say girls have more attitude, what do they mean? Just interested as never had a girlie!
Matt and Vikki
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-12-2008, 09:44 AM
I think the term bitch was coined for a reason
DalaiMama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
I'd say a dog, there is always a risk with a bitch, even a spayed one that you will get bitch on bitch aggresion.
True, I have two Staffie bitches here a lot of the time, one is spayed. Only had one 'handbags' type fight and that was our fault, a game got out of hand and there was jealousy. It was over a tuggy toy, a huge mistake as they were face to face. No serious harm done and we could stop them but tuggy toys are now banned.

Curiously they never mind anything to do with food, they often eat from the same bowl and don't argue over bones, etc.

We have to make sure the dominant bitch is greeted first, petted first, fed first, everything we do has the pack order in mind. Even when we go to bed the dominant bitch has to settle first then we let the less dominant one up. The unspayed bitch will also push the older, less dominant bitch away from Archer (male) as she sees him as hers.

We let the dominant bitch dominate without interferance, sometimes it looks quite scary but the less dominant bitch submits, she doesn't like to rock the boat. She seems to accept the pack order happily, she is also very content and settled.

If I were to get another dog it would be male, Introducing another bitch to the mix would cause trouble. My Pointer is very meek with other dogs and is quite happy to let another friend's male staffie into the house when he visits, although we wouldn't leave them unsupervised as Archer wouldn't stand a chance, if he were human he would be like Wayne Sleep
DalaiMama
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-12-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally Posted by skilaki View Post
Why do you prefer the males kcjack? Just interested. I've only ever had males so nothing to compare, but I see that most have posted they prefer the girls?

I think the idea of a dog just wanting to be loved and fed sounds ideal - why have one with an attitude lol. When posters say girls have more attitude, what do they mean? Just interested as never had a girlie!
I prefer the boys, tbh. I seem to develop a closer relationship with them, I find bitches more of a challenge. My friend's bitch huffs and puffs and throws herself in the corner with her back to you if told off (its very funny actually and her nickname is "Miffy". This is just my experience with the dogs I have owned in my life, of course they all have their own "doganalities" My spayed bitch is easygoing, placid and very loving, so maybe it's a hormonal thing - I certainly know how that feels, especially nowadays

When I had horses I much preferred geldings to mares, they are more even tempered, much the same from day to day. I once owned a mare that was very much a mare Moody and stroppy, used to try to take chunks out of anyone passing
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2