View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 11:33 AM
hello Louise, my soon to be landywoods provider! So I take it you already met dogsey!!!
(what a fool, of course any raw feeder who cares about her dogs would already be on here!!!!)

:smt044 :smt048 :smt044 :smt042 :smt040

p.s. I know how much to feed my dogs, I was just having a hard time guessing how much '400' grams of meat would be from their website. I have been feeding raw for over 3 years now. It seems cheap! I am well chuffed! Forgot about Redcastle, I wonder if they would store landywoods meat??!?!
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by jess View Post
"The increased water comsumption in itself could be a contributing factor in bloat. That said, I've had dogs bloat on various stomach contents including raw meat, cooked tripe, kibble and one on an empty stomach."

But some dogs are more susceptible than others to the condition...?
Yes, sure! There are a whole range of contribting factors, probably the most significant being the size and proportions of the dog with large, deep chested types more susceptible. Heredity also plays a part.

I also find it worrying about how huge the average kibble 'bean' swells up when water is added. Scary, and NOT very natural. Considering they tell you to be careful about overdoing it with raisins and sultanas, as they swell to three times their size, I wonder how it must feel to eat a small meal and then have it swell inside you like that....
I don't have a breed now that's prone to bloat, but I still usually soak kibble when I feed it, for this reason.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 11:46 AM
hello Louise, my soon to be landywoods provider! So I take it you already met dogsey!!!
(what a fool, of course any raw feeder who cares about her dogs would already be on here!!!!)

:smt044 :smt048 :smt044 :smt042 :smt040

p.s. I know how much to feed my dogs, I was just having a hard time guessing how much '400' grams of meat would be from their website. I have been feeding raw for over 3 years now. It seems cheap! I am well chuffed! Forgot about Redcastle, I wonder if they would store landywoods meat??!?!

Might be a bit cheeky to ask!!! sorry.. 1pound bags are 464grams..
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 12:07 PM
"The increased water comsumption in itself could be a contributing factor in bloat. That said, I've had dogs bloat on various stomach contents including raw meat, cooked tripe, kibble and one on an empty stomach."

I also find it worrying about how huge the average kibble 'bean' swells up when water is added. Scary, and NOT very natural. Considering they tell you to be careful about overdoing it with raisins and sultanas, as they swell to three times their size, I wonder how it must feel to eat a small meal and then have it swell inside you like that....
Yes that's the poblem, because of the manufacturing process. After extrusion, it goes through a die under high temperature and pressure and when it dries water is forced out of it.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 12:09 PM
be best to see it, any good walks down in Cowdenbeath?
SBT
Dogsey Junior
Male 

19-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by pod View Post

Seriously though SBT, are you disputing that the domestic dog is an omnivore?
OK I did think it was a joke but I have seen a few of you think a dog is not a carnivor including minihaha

The Oxford english dictionary definition of a dog

A domesticated carnivorous mammal with a barking or howling voice and an acute sense of smell.

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/dog?view=uk
Azz
Administrator
Male 

19-10-2006, 01:53 PM
Some posts with just smilies deleted. Please don't forget this is a serious section.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by SBT View Post
A domesticated carnivorous mammal with a barking or howling voice and an acute sense of smell.

http://www.askoxford.com/concise_oed/dog?view=uk
Interesting that that version includes the word "carnivorous." The two Oxford books I have here don't but one does say "flesh eating."

I do think that these are layman's terms and not expected to be scientifically accurate. The dog is most definitely omnivorous in habit.

The other definition of Carnivore is that of taxanomic classification. The dog family Canidae is within the order Carnivora, so yes it is a Carnivore by classification.

This classifcation though is not based on its present form, but on ancestral descent, meaning that the dog, along with all other members of the order Carnivora is descended from a common carnivorous species.

The dog isn't the only Carnivora species to have diverged into an omnivorous habit. There are the bears, the giant panda particularly is almost completely vegetarian. Also the urban fox, more closely related to the dog being a Canidae, survives on an diet of mostly human waste.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-10-2006, 02:52 PM

I just tried this I put a piece of kibble in water in a glass and left it, it didn't swell at all, it went a bit mushy round the edges and started to break up when I poked it, but mostly was still fairly solid. I did wonder about your comment because I frequently add juices their food has been cooked in and never notice the kibble swelling.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-10-2006, 02:56 PM
which kibble, Trouble? i guess it depends on the type? But most of them do swell, as by their nature they are dehydrated, so that mould doesn't grow and they don't go off in their bags....
Page 9 of 20 « First < 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 > Last »