View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
JacekPacek
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-12-2005, 09:18 AM

epilepsy? or Canine Epileptoid Cramping Syndrome (CECS)?

well, Jack's brother had some sort of atteck yesterday his legs ceased to work for a while and he was kind of shaking and hitting walls and legs of chairs with his body. his ovner said thet he seemed conscious... this has happened for the fourth time now-like every 3-5 months.
do you recognise epilepsy here?
vet didnt say nothing, he just gave him some pill or something to push in his rear during the attack
could it be epilepsy? is there a cure for it?
what kind of circumstances causes the attack?
we were on a long walk yesterday and then he was with his owner and her friends when they were driving around in the car, going in the pub...(but this wasnt new for him as she takes him with her often)
please, anything connected with epilepsy would be appreciated, thanks
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2005, 09:27 AM
Hi there Jacekpacek. One of my Shiba's had Canine Epilepsy - enter this into google and you'll get loads of info. I wouldn't like to say if this dog has it, but if he does, it is very easily treatable with drugs. Good luck
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-12-2005, 09:41 AM
Snorri has lived with an epileptic dog for years. I am sure he will reply to you when he sees your post. Meanwhile here is an article written by him which you will find of interest: http://www.dogweb.co.uk/talkdogs/liv...psy_14937.html
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2005, 10:13 AM
Dogs are not conscious during epileptic attacks. There is a condition called "Canine epileptic cramping syndrome" or "CECS" which is confused with epilepsy, and the main difference is that the dog is conscious during the episodes. Symptom wise the dog will "cramp" and go stiff, their eyes are bulging. They tend to stagger because they cannot bend their limbs, they will try to respond to you if you call them. This condition is noted in Border Terriers, it is also seen in Labradors, again often confused with Epilepsy, but it does appear that many breeds are affected, and indeed crossbreeds.

Take a look here, see if you recognise any of the symptoms.
http://www.borderterrier-cecs.com/
Dawn.
Jules1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-12-2005, 10:30 AM
Hi, i would recommend feeding Burns.
My friends dog had epilepsy. She was feeding her dog Frolics . Now that she has changed her dogs diet on to Burns & she is off all of her medication.
I wouldn't put anything up my dogs bum, if i didn't know why i was giving it to him.
Your vet really should of explained more. I would go back & demand a proper diagnosis.

Jules X